SiouxSports.com Forum

Around the rest of DI ...

The Sicatoka

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

"The excess revenue from these two programs [football and men's basketball] effectively offset the roughly $40 million annually the other 19 programs collectively run in losses each year," Byrne told the panel led by Texas senator Ted Cruz. "If it weren't for football, we would not have 21 sports at the University of Alabama."

Alabama Football -- cash cow say: MOO!
Alabama Mens Basketballl -- cash cow say: moo.
Alabama other 19 sports -- < sucking sound > 

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/greg-byrne-discusses-threats-to-19-sports-at-alabama-that-lose-40-million-annually-228515138/amp/ 

I won't be surprised when the influx of money drives the NCAA to a "play what you can afford" model where even 'bama drops ten or more sports. Seems counter-intuitive, but where we're heading. 

I think the direction we are headed is towards a club sports model.  Frankly, that might not be the worst thing either.  I look at the what the ACHA has done for college hockey and think if NCAA D1 hockey went away, and all collegiate hockey followed the ACHA model (with some tweaks), college hockey would explode across the country and become much, much bigger when freed from the restraints of Title 9.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I think the direction we are headed is towards a club sports model.  Frankly, that might not be the worst thing either.  I look at the what the ACHA has done for college hockey and think if NCAA D1 hockey went away, and all collegiate hockey followed the ACHA model (with some tweaks), college hockey would explode across the country and become much, much bigger when freed from the restraints of Title 9.

I think hope congress will eventually act if needed.  They don't do anything ahead of time - just look at the budget for example.

53 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Anyone see our old friend Trev Albert’s left Nebraska shocking move to Texas a n m

It's a tell: Even the mighty Huskers will have trouble competing in this new NIL/Alston world. So why not go to the aTm. 

A little surprising is leaving the B1G for the SEC. 

On 3/14/2024 at 8:32 AM, The Sicatoka said:

It's a tell: Even the mighty Huskers will have trouble competing in this new NIL/Alston world. So why not go to the aTm. 

A little surprising is leaving the B1G for the SEC. 

I wouldn't be surprised if B1G offers the Aggies as a shot across the bow at SEC. They may be interested in ditching UT again. Grab them and the golden domers and Big 10 supremacy is established. They then pick the carcasses of what's left (some ACC teams and a couple other SEC schools ans possibly Kansas) and a national college league is born. 

• 4 weeks later...

From O -> N ? 

Cutting programs? Merging campuses? Nebraska university leaders ponder bold changes to compete
https://omaha.com/news/state-regional/education/cutting-programs-merging-campuses-nebraska-university-leaders-ponder-bold-changes-to-compete/article_35dabe3a-f435-11ee-bb4b-5360b0e1ccb1.html 

Is it perhaps time, Carter asked, to bring all the university’s campuses under the flagship campus’ well-known brand? All four NU campuses would adopt and align under UNL’s signature block “N” as part of their identity.

“We should carefully consider whether now is the time for a unified University of Nebraska identity — a strategy that, if executed well, would increase the value proposition for all our campuses,” Carter wrote.

... the potential for landscape-altering change — from elimination of programs to realigned or even merged campuses — remains on the table at the University of Nebraska.

The drive springs from rising concerns that in a fast-changing higher education world, and at a time of declining national enrollments, Nebraska and its university could be left behind.

I still see the $58M shortfall at UNL as the elephant in the room. 

And if they're just realizing the "enrollment cliff" looming they're in deep kimchi. (fail to plan = plan to fail) 

hockey is probably the only sport that doesn't overlap with the main campus..............would they ever have the balls to shutter every sport at omaha branch other than hockey and just ask/say that the mavs are the huskers and see if big10 would accept that?

would save a ton and having the goofs and those stinkin' badgers coming to omaha/nebraska would be a huge huge get obviously

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

hmm

Kinda like what maybe the ND higher education system should do... 

UND-Fargo campus can keep football and Bball

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

hockey is probably the only sport that doesn't overlap with the main campus..............would they ever have the balls to shutter every sport at omaha branch other than hockey and just ask/say that the mavs are the huskers and see if big10 would accept that?

would save a ton and having the goofs and those stinkin' badgers coming to omaha/nebraska would be a huge huge get obviously

I wonder what implications Title IX would have on this.  

With generally declining enrollment, the financial black hole of most college sports, the NIL mess, and the portal, the next decade will be interesting for sure.  

I’ve been saying for years there should be 2 universities

the rest be 4 year colleges or city 2 year schools.

Williston started  out as a city school 

‘Minot was a teachers college 

good luck with anything like that with the politics involved 

‘get your degree at Minot state and transfer to one of the universities for masters or doctorates.

have a higher gpa entrance standard for the 2 universities 

10 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

They could do that.  Long Island University merged their athletic programs, so there is a precedent 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kab said:

I’ve been saying for years there should be 2 universities

the rest be 4 year colleges or city 2 year schools.

Williston started  out as a city school 

‘Minot was a teachers college 

good luck with anything like that with the politics involved 

‘get your degree at Minot state and transfer to one of the universities for masters or doctorates.

have a higher gpa entrance standard for the 2 universities 

Williston will be fine.  WIlliston offers free tuition in 5 ND counties, 2 CA Provinces, a number of MT counties. Adding womens hockey, cross country.  Growing enrollment.

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Allow each major city to have a 4 year liberal arts school:

UND (Grand Forks)

NDSU (Fargo)

BSU (Bismarck)

MSU (Minot)

Everything else either goes away or is affiliated with one of the four schools above.

Oh boy that's going to really rile up the good old boy club in Dickinson just cashing all that government foreign student aid money ... 

• Upvote 1