SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Thoughts on UND's FB Program

UND Fan

Love how you guys think that it's money that's keeping your sports teams from succeeding.  Your hockey team is at the top in support (money) and FB is up there too.  Success starts at the top with the president and then the AD.  Getting coaches that are good and pay them.  You have one sport that's so top heavy in salaries that it stifles all other sports.  Point being is you have the money it's just not distributed like it should be.  You have some coaches that would coach for free but are they the best coaches.  Hell you have a radio guy coaching FB because no one would apply.  Hockey is a great sport but it doesn't have to be the end all be all.  Look at Duluth and St. Cloud, they pay a fraction of what you pay for hockey and have success.  There's a reason your AD was run out of EWU.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

Love how you guys think that it's money that's keeping your sports teams from succeeding.  Your hockey team is at the top in support (money) and FB is up there too.  Success starts at the top with the president and then the AD.  Getting coaches that are good and pay them.  You have one sport that's so top heavy in salaries that it stifles all other sports.  Point being is you have the money it's just not distributed like it should be.  You have some coaches that would coach for free but are they the best coaches.  Hell you have a radio guy coaching FB because no one would apply.  Hockey is a great sport but it doesn't have to be the end all be all.  Look at Duluth and St. Cloud, they pay a fraction of what you pay for hockey and have success.  There's a reason your AD was run out of EWU.  

Hold up… Dosch is a radio guy?  And nobody applied?  

A long time ago a UND advisor, actually two different* in different departments, told me you can bring me any problem but also have a real solution or else you are just complaining. 

*both were native Walsh County boys 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Dosch has a better football coaching resume than 99% of this board. He did radio color the last few years. And he was an internal hire so that’s why there were “no applicants”.

And thank you Dan for the fiscal advice. Has the bailout check from the legislature to save NDSU academics cleared yet? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You are supporting UND athletics generously. However, you seem very frustrated with how things are run. 

I would suggest you make an appointment with Tim Belmore or Steve Brekke. Tell them you are a Champions Club member and would like an update on the facilities projects/future plans and what UND feels are the most important issues moving forward and whether there are areas where you might help or get involved.

If you don’t start the initial meeting with complaints/demands about who should be fired etc I would think you will find an opportunity to develop a positive relationship with some key UND staff guys. It will at least create an opportunity for you to get the information you seem to want. 

In my experience Tim Belmore is very approachable. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dosch has a better football coaching resume than 99% of this board. He did radio color the last few years. 

And thank you Dan for the fiscal advice. Has the bailout check from the legislature to save NDSU academics cleared yet? 

Poor Sic truth hurts - this board as far as I know doesn't have college FB coaches so that's a bold statement.  Is your athletic department going to rob the general fund every year for it's bailout.  Wow 5M every year.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You seem to struggle to understand my comments. I don’t believe we should fix anything ourselves. You are wrong if you believe that it shouldn’t be the case for all of us to be part of the solution. If you don’t believe that to be true,  then maybe that is why others ignore you. 

You clearly are not comprehensibly reading, nor truthfully considering, the issue. I’ve already addressed your concerns with previous comments. I said “we all need to look ourselves in the mirror“, but it still ultimately is not our job. It is OK to recognize and acknowledge that the University of North Dakota staff needs to do better (a lot better) with outreach and recognition.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

I agree with you. NDSU has a leg up on UND because they’re funding with a contemporary model that works for North Dakota. UND continues to be in a DII mindset with everything revolving around the pathetic minority sport of hockey. 

Now, with that said, did NDSU royally screwup with their fiscal responsibility? Absolutely, and they should be held accountable.

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Money is a factor and will continue to be a factor for all schools. It isn’t keeping our teams from being successful.
Your comment about a “radio guy” coaching cuz no one else would apply is nonsense. If you want to make a point that our assistant salaries are too low and that affects applications and options for hiring you are correct. 
Our hockey coaches salaries are such that it is a big plus when it comes to hiring. I don’t believe we should disrupt the hockey program to solve the needs in our other sports. Hockey funding is unique due to the REA gift and how that was set up by the donor. 
From the outside looking in, your points are well taken. A number of folks will agree. However, I don’t believe your FB program would want to decrease coaches salaries the present support in order to support other programs. Financially, your FB program and UND hockey are about where you want those programs right now. Both of those programs need to be flexible enough to adapt to unforeseen challenges. The difficult goal for UND is to get the other programs up to that same support level as we have for hockey and you have for FB. 
I’m not sure you (nor I) have thorough insight as to why Chaves left EWU. Heck I have more accurate insight as to why your last 2,Presidents were dismissed, but that subject belongs on your forums not this one and has nothing to do with the subject at hand. 
UND has Alumni with the ability to support the necessary upgrades for FB. It’s not easy to get everyone on the same page. Many with mega bucks will often have stipulations. For many others a lot depends on timing, age, etc. We don’t have the same community resources you have in Fargo for those who constantly compare which is our challenge.  Fargo recently had a great Alumni drive and some big donations. I’m not a mega donor nor should I be involved in decisions. A lot of recent 2-5 million dollar donations are earmarked for academic programs which is our top priority. I know UND athletic staff and Alumni staff are working hard on multiple projects. The recent large donation for softball moved that project way up on the priority list. Sometimes schools deal with moving targets cuz of the NCAA and other things outside of their control. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

A long time ago a UND advisor, actually two different* in different departments, told me you can bring me any problem but also have a real solution or else you are just complaining. 

*both were native Walsh County boys 

That’s what I told employees, if you see a problem bring 2 solutions, if you want to spend money on something ask yourself if it’s your money would you spend it 

some had real solutions, some not so much, I also asked employees not to come to work thru the same door every day, use the the door customers come thru and see what they see,

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You clearly are not comprehensibly reading, nor truthfully considering, the issue. I’ve already addressed your concerns with previous comments. I said “we all need to look ourselves in the mirror“, but it still ultimately is not our job. It is OK to recognize and acknowledge that the University of North Dakota staff needs to do better (a lot better) with outreach and recognition.

Really? Would you recognize the truth/facts if it bit you in the ass?

Most people try to learn what’s going on with UND by reading and communicating on this forum. What drives some away are the petty comments about truth etc. 

I have experiences that I rely on to form my opinions. I suspect your experiences (or lack there of) are what you rely on to form your opinions. I believe that is a major reason we disagree on a number of issues.

In this case, very few people want much, if anything, to do with complainers, whiners, and those who seem to find fault with most people who are “in the arena” succeeding or failing then learning from the experience and moving on to the next challenge. No one worth a damn to any organization will bitch about things then hide behind the “it isn’t my job” excuse. 

If it makes you feel any better, I’m thankful you were never on my team, I never had to coach you, supervise you, work with you or for you, or ever had to count on you to armor up and cover my 6. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, zonadub said:

I think this validates what UND-FB-FAN is saying.

No it says UND football fan need to donate some of his time if he wants UND to be successful. Quit complaining and do something productive out of it. We need to catch up to teammakers.

Put Up $$$$ or Shut Up!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Detroit Lakes, Fargo, Grand Forks, Park Rapids, Bismarck. I’m not sure about anywhere else. Hockey team and FB teams have them. Usually see FB, Hockey, MBB and WBB coaches in DL. Also see AD, Alumni Staff, and Champions Club staff. AD usually gives update on what’s going on at UND. Coaches would give brief update. 

I get emails every year about these events. Have only golfed in a couple over the years as it usually hasn't worked out with my schedule, but know several people who do golf in 1 or 2 of them every year.

18 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Just thinking through all of this and the big picture….is enrollment up, down, or steady at UND? Many colleges are seeing decreased enrollment and cutting programs (St. Cloud State made BIG cuts).  Just asking because I don’t know….

Up

• Upvote 1