SiouxSports.com Forum

2025 Recruiting

geaux_sioux

On 6/15/2024 at 8:53 AM, Parkers Pros said:

UND has been on him. They know him, they wanted him, but they also like the guys they have. We have a lot of young online, coming up right now and we can’t use all our money on online. UND lost the 2 coaches that JB knew, Oline coach, and Danny who was a personal acquaintance. 

Also remember that most, not all, but most want to leave home. SDSU has money, more than us, great facilities and a strong fan base, and just happens to be the national champ. Do you really, really think we “lost” him?  He gets paid, gets to be mentored by a family friend, play in front of 16 to 18,000 people and play for a team that has been now churning out NFL lineman. And is close enough but far enough away straight down I29?  And yes they have a very good aviation and engineering program. Doubtful it was a very hard choice.

why?  how?

i'm on line 1 with KEM waiting to ask her why?  how?

4 hours ago, AJS said:

If this team ever is going to take the next step, it has to start with having a decent % of their commits with actual competing D-1 offers. As long as Bubba is the face of the program, regardless of facility upgrades, continued improvements to the campus, I don't see it happening. 

Fully understand in the importance factor for the program, this isn't high on the list, but can these coaches please try to build some excitement with commits. Other programs the coaching staffs are posting about commits before the player actually announces. From the outside, seems to build a lot of excitement over each commit. Fruechte did this a bit with the O-Line Portal commits, but nothing since. 

Agree with your second paragraph. Love when Sather drops his Grizzly Adams gif. Gets everyone wondering! Feel like Danny used to do some of that too but maybe it cooled down a bit towards the end. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Safety. Had a UNI offer. 

I don't care what his other offers are (I think he'd been in conversations with SDSU/U of M, etc too)...this is a good get for us imo.  

• Upvote 2

On 6/15/2024 at 8:53 AM, Parkers Pros said:

UND has been on him. They know him, they wanted him, but they also like the guys they have. We have a lot of young online, coming up right now and we can’t use all our money on online. UND lost the 2 coaches that JB knew, Oline coach, and Danny who was a personal acquaintance. 

Also remember that most, not all, but most want to leave home. SDSU has money, more than us, great facilities and a strong fan base, and just happens to be the national champ. Do you really, really think we “lost” him?  He gets paid, gets to be mentored by a family friend, play in front of 16 to 18,000 people and play for a team that has been now churning out NFL lineman. And is close enough but far enough away straight down I29?  And yes they have a very good aviation and engineering program. Doubtful it was a very hard choice.

Are you serious - good Aviation program? What aviation program? I just looked it up they have an aviation program.   But there is absolutely no comparison between the two aviation programs.  Here are the graduation and retention number for 2022 at SDSU.

2016FA (Fall 2016-Summer 2022) Start 20  Graduated 6 30%

And many consider the engineering programs at SDSU as the second-best program in the State after SDSM&T.  IMO, SDSU is a good school.  I have many friends who have attended.  But it needs to get the Dairy program going again and look at Veterinary programs.  You know BE the State's "Ag" school.  What is more important to the State?  Ag or Aviation.  Apparently not Ag based on some of SDSU's actions.

South Dakota State students fight closure of Dairy Research and Training Facility

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=c7f11382fdd01dcbJmltdHM9MTcxODU4MjQwMCZpZ3VpZD0zYzI1ZWU4NC0wNTQxLTYyMWQtM2RiOC1mZWQ4MDRhNzYzOTcmaW5zaWQ9NTMxOA&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3c25ee84-0541-621d-3db8-fed804a76397&psq=Dairy++Progam+at++South+Dakota+State+closing&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYWd3ZWVrLmNvbS9saXZlc3RvY2svZGFpcnkvc291dGgtZGFrb3RhLXN0YXRlLXN0dWRlbnRzLWZpZ2h0LWNsb3N1cmUtb2YtZGFpcnktcmVzZWFyY2gtYW5kLXRyYWluaW5nLWZhY2lsaXR5&ntb=1

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Safety. Had a UNI offer. 

Checked 247.  Shows only one offer.  Offered on the 13th, committed on 17th.  According to 247 there are 4 commits and none of those 4 show any other offers.  Edit..  I now see that according to Twitter he did have a UNI offer.  247 is not always right but they are correct more often that not.  Good site for recruiting info.

10 minutes ago, NDRA said:

Checked 247.  Shows only one offer.  Offered on the 13th, committed on 17th.  According to 247 there are 4 commits and none of those 4 show any other offers.

Check his X, Columbo

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

Are you serious - good Aviation program? What aviation program? I just looked it up they have an aviation program.   But there is absolutely no comparison between the two aviation programs.  Here are the graduation and retention number for 2022 at SDSU.

2016FA (Fall 2016-Summer 2022) Start 20  Graduated 6 30%

And many consider the engineering programs at SDSU as the second-best program in the State after SDSM&T.  IMO, SDSU is a good school.  I have many friends who have attended.  But it needs to get the Dairy program going again and look at Veterinary programs.  You know BE the State's "Ag" school.  What is more important to the State?  Ag or Aviation.  Apparently not Ag based on some of SDSU's actions.

South Dakota State students fight closure of Dairy Research and Training Facility

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=c7f11382fdd01dcbJmltdHM9MTcxODU4MjQwMCZpZ3VpZD0zYzI1ZWU4NC0wNTQxLTYyMWQtM2RiOC1mZWQ4MDRhNzYzOTcmaW5zaWQ9NTMxOA&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3c25ee84-0541-621d-3db8-fed804a76397&psq=Dairy++Progam+at++South+Dakota+State+closing&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYWd3ZWVrLmNvbS9saXZlc3RvY2svZGFpcnkvc291dGgtZGFrb3RhLXN0YXRlLXN0dWRlbnRzLWZpZ2h0LWNsb3N1cmUtb2YtZGFpcnktcmVzZWFyY2gtYW5kLXRyYWluaW5nLWZhY2lsaXR5&ntb=1

You missed the point. Education to him is secondary. It had enough of what he was looking for. Regardless of how good it is it’s still offered what he was looking for.   And it offered his number one and number two majors, winning football, professional development…

1 hour ago, NDRA said:

Checked 247.  Shows only one offer.  Offered on the 13th, committed on 17th.  According to 247 there are 4 commits and none of those 4 show any other offers.  Edit..  I now see that according to Twitter he did have a UNI offer.  247 is not always right but they are correct more often that not.  Good site for recruiting info.

Hit and miss.  They often don't update pages for FCS commits.  UND has had multiple recruits with 247 profiles over the years that have committed without the 247 ever updating their profiles to reflect that.  If they can't even do that, It's hard for me to credit them as a reliable source for other offers.  That doesn't necessarily mean their info is always wrong or anything, but it's often incomplete.

For example:
https://247sports.com/Player/clayton-bishop-46100621/
https://247sports.com/Player/jerry-kaminski-46118650/

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Hit and miss.  They often don't update pages for FCS commits.  UND has had multiple recruits with 247 profiles over the years that have committed without the 247 ever updating their profiles to reflect that.  If they can't even do that, It's hard for me to credit them as a reliable source for other offers.  That doesn't necessarily mean their info is always wrong or anything, but it's often incomplete.

For example:
https://247sports.com/Player/clayton-bishop-46100621/
https://247sports.com/Player/jerry-kaminski-46118650/

You're right on their final updates but they usually do reflect the correct offers.

14 minutes ago, NDRA said:

You're right on their final updates but they usually do reflect the correct offers.

247 doesn't show Seth Staloch's USD offer or Zach Schemper's UST or Drake offers.  If we had better recruits I'm confident there would be more examples.  I didn't check them all, but that's at least 3 guys out of the 8 commits that 247 has listed, with missing offers.  Not a great percentage for 247.

1 hour ago, Parkers Pros said:

You missed the point. Education to him is secondary. It had enough of what he was looking for. Regardless of how good it is it’s still offered what he was looking for.   And it offered his number one and number two majors, winning football, professional development…

Oh, it was clear to me, I just wanted to add some context about the differences in programs.  And the Aviation programs are absolutely not comparable.

44 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

247 doesn't show Seth Staloch's USD offer or Zach Schemper's UST or Drake offers.  If we had better recruits I'm confident there would be more examples.  I didn't check them all, but that's at least 3 guys out of the 8 commits that 247 has listed, with missing offers.  Not a great percentage for 247.

You are probably right.  If Bubba had higher quality recruits they would be updated more.  Looked at the SUs recruits and they seem to show plenty of offers.

There is one thing that UND does not have that is media presence especially in TV market. Both NDSU and SDSU have big presence for their football programs. This is important to young athletes they want to have media recognition to help them get money either locally or know that they will be wanted by larger universities to get bigger payday. The times have changed having good facilities and scholarship is given for the top athletes' you people keep wanting to recruit but the truth is Grand Forks has not grown enough to keep what they had, and Fargo has become home of Media in the state and they have no interest in promoting UND football but will do so for UND Hockey. I would like to say things were different, but this has changed, and it has happened in less than 5 years and this happening at all levels even University of Minnesota is similar situation with them competing with the Vikings for Media presence. The second thing is the amount of money we are putting into football has improved but we are still distant second meaning were upper tier of FCS but not elite schools of FCS who all are looking to move to next level.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

There is one thing that UND does not have that is media presence especially in TV market. Both NDSU and SDSU have big presence for their football programs. This is important to young athletes they want to have media recognition to help them get money either locally or know that they will be wanted by larger universities to get bigger payday. The times have changed having good facilities and scholarship is given for the top athletes' you people keep wanting to recruit but the truth is Grand Forks has not grown enough to keep what they had, and Fargo has become home of Media in the state and they have no interest in promoting UND football but will do so for UND Hockey. I would like to say things were different, but this has changed, and it has happened in less than 5 years and this happening at all levels even University of Minnesota is similar situation with them competing with the Vikings for Media presence. The second thing is the amount of money we are putting into football has improved but we are still distant second meaning were upper tier of FCS but not elite schools of FCS who all are looking to move to next level.

You are correct on the media market.  Look at the Alabamas, Clemsons and Notre Dames of the world.  One thing they all have in common is that they're the biggest sports in the local media.  I think it's hard to find a college team at a really high level when they're in the same market as an NFL or NBA team.  Kids wanna be the top dog in the sports section not page 2 after the local NFL team.

Case in point would be Gopher football,considered a  national powerhouse until the 60s when who moved to town??

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

There has to be somebody dedicated to updating it, no?  Other schools have writers on 247 which helps quite a bit.  

4 hours ago, FSSD said:

Oh, it was clear to me, I just wanted to add some context about the differences in programs.  And the Aviation programs are absolutely not comparable.

Well thank god ya did that cause I think people were worried. Noted. UND aviation 1, SDSU aviation 0…

This is the kind of stuff I want to see Bubba tweeting. Might be out of his wheelhouse but at least Joel and Fruechte could be taking this on. Show some excitement for the kids coming in. Add some hype to the fan base. It’s not a hard thing to do. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

This is the kind of stuff I want to see Bubba tweeting. Might be out of his wheelhouse but at least Joel and Fruechte could be taking this on. Show some excitement for the kids coming in. Add some hype to the fan base. It’s not a hard thing to do. 

Meh

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1