SiouxSports.com Forum

HAWKS VS red cows (GAME ONE)

iluvdebbies

34 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

That will give Berry more opportunity to us the portal  then !

Couple more weeks also to talk mediocre Seniors into using their 5th years and killing the development for younger players. Cannot wait to see 13 & 28 on the top line next year playing 20 minutes a night.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jk said:

For all the questions about the lineup at forward and defense, I'm pretty sure if you could sit down with a coach and ask them, they would have very specific reasons for each one, and when you heard them, they would make sense.  But they can't say those things publicly, because they can't be throwing players under the bus.

Along the same lines, they probably have pretty strong ideas on why things went sideways this season.  I'd love to know them, but, again, there's not much they can say without tearing guys down in public.

How’s it working out for them? Honest question, you don’t think the Coaches own any blame for this year? Can Coaches make bad judgement calls? Are all Coaches good at their jobs? 

1 hour ago, jk said:

For all the questions about the lineup at forward and defense, I'm pretty sure if you could sit down with a coach and ask them, they would have very specific reasons for each one, and when you heard them, they would make sense.  But they can't say those things publicly, because they can't be throwing players under the bus.

Along the same lines, they probably have pretty strong ideas on why things went sideways this season.  I'd love to know them, but, again, there's not much they can say without tearing guys down in public.

Instead of throwing players under the bus then tell us what the chosen few were doing so well to keep them in the lineup all season.  I'd like to hear the explanation on four forwards specifically.

1 hour ago, jk said:

Ok - I'll buy that - but we could hear how they are going to correct this mess - are we going to adapt a faster playing style so we can start getting Blue Chippers again and not have them think UND is where offensive skills go to die?   Are we going to clean up the defensive play?  Are we going to address the lack of player development particularly in this last off-season.  Are we going to address the lack of mental toughness that led us to cough up leads right and left, and are we going to actually recruit goalie talent and develop them or is going to just be portal, portal, portal.  These issues could be addressed without throwing anyone under the bus (except maybe the staff).  Or instead are we going to hear about our "culture" some more - you know the one that gave us this fiasco of a season.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Instead of throwing players under the bus then tell us what the chosen few were doing so well to keep them in the lineup all season.  I'd like to hear the explanation on four forwards specifically.

I’ll co-sign every one of @Oxbow6 posts about his feelings on roster mismanagement. I would be interested on his explanation on 5 Forwards. 

There hasn’t been a season ever even close to this where I genuinely have no idea what the thought process is. Not just about the Chosen Five, but outside of 9 / 17, I feel every other talented forward hasn’t been optimally developed.

Edit: Forward specific post. Clearly same questions on defense as well although they’ve played well down the stretch.

34 minutes ago, AJS said:

I’ll co-sign every one of @Oxbow6 posts about his feelings on roster mismanagement. I would be interested on his explanation on 5 Forwards. 

There hasn’t been a season ever even close to this where I genuinely have no idea what the thought process is. Not just about the Chosen Five, but outside of 9 / 17, I feel every other talented forward hasn’t been optimally developed.

Edit: Forward specific post. Clearly same questions on defense as well although they’ve played well down the stretch.

9 and 17 were good when they got here so I don’t even know how much they’ve even “developed.” Which considering I don’t think there’s been much, if any development of the other forwards, is really sad. 

42 minutes ago, AJS said:

How’s it working out for them? Honest question, you don’t think the Coaches own any blame for this year? Can Coaches make bad judgement calls? Are all Coaches good at their jobs? 

It's either the coaches or it's the players, but the coaches picked the players, so ultimately a poor season is entirely on the coaches.  I pull for all the coaches and all the players, all of whom are giving everything they have and living this adventure 100 times more than the fans in the stands.  

As to whether coaches can make bad judgement calls, as it relates to the lineup, of course they can.  However, we are not in a position to make that judgement, because we don't have all the information they have.  In fact, we probably don't have 10% of the information they do.  We see a player play for 30 minutes in a weekend.  They see them for hours and hours each week.  It would be like a blind person arguing about a painting with someone who can see it (apologies to any offended blind people).  

As to roster construction last summer, we're coming off a period of years where Duluth and Mankato have thrived with older players.  UND was returning most of a conference title team, and adding (or retaining) some older players, men, really, to push around some of the boys on the other teams, seemed sensible.  If they had not done that and this season had gone similarly sideways, I'm certain the complaints would be that they missed the chance to be older and heavier and if only they would have retained the fifth year guys, it would have worked.

I would love to know why they made certain decisions, but rather than think they're just stupid or I know better, I realize that I don't have access to their information.

It's ultimately about results, and this is a big year coming up.  Considering the likely returning roster and the pipeline, I'm very excited about the forwards, and concerned about the defense and goaltending.  I personally prefer a bigger goalie, so I hope they go that way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This series has the feel of Denver from a few years back.  Foreign goalie plays well against a team that isn't that close knit (Ask Nick Jones how he got a concussion) and the season is mercifully put to an end.

Then we got this used car salesman @MafiaMan trying to buy all your Frozen Faceoff tickets.  Quite the final chapter to this book. :lol:

Tell ya what, @Wilbur, I’ll take those regional tickets off your hands for you for free if you toss in a $50 gas allowance and a 3-night hotel stay in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Have we never been excited about our pipeline? Look at the rsukts

Not ready for jibberish yet this morning...  but I am less concerned with pipeline and/or freshman class as much as what happens to them after they get here....  something stinks...

58 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Tell ya what, @Wilbur, I’ll take those regional tickets off your hands for you for free if you toss in a $50 gas allowance and a 3-night hotel stay in Fargo.

My couch is open, do we wear our Nodak jerseys amongst all the gopher fans? 

36 minutes ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

For about 45 seconds on the ice during the third between shifts 19 was on the ice with 9 and 17. They had multiple great chances as 19 won the puck and fed both 9 and 17. I'm surprised coach didn't notice that and roll that a couple more times. Seem to work then. 

As bad as our face offs have been, why not throw Judd in there with Blake and Gaber. Big center can help free up space for those two.

21 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

As bad as our face offs have been, why not throw Judd in there with Blake and Gaber. Big center can help free up space for those two.

I don’t think Judd has ever played center in the last 4 years. So I wouldn’t put him there at this point. He wouldn’t be the wing on this team I’d try at center just to see what happens either.