SiouxSports.com Forum

The Official WJC Thread

DMT

I'm jealous of you guys in The Forks this past week.  What an opportunity to watch some outstanding hockey! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As well you should. :D

Someone got the Hockey Hall of Fame representative to bring the Stanley Cup up to the press box. The stats crew for the USA-Sweden game posed for pictures with it. My fingerprints are on that baby! I thought we should pour some Diet Coke in the top of the cup and drink out of it to celebrate tonight's victory. ;)

While we were gathered around the Stanley Cup, one of the media sportscasters came breezing by and did a double-take. He said it fell under the category of "things you don't expect to see." :silly:

Using my sports binoculars, I could see Gretzky's silhouette in the suite diagonally from the press box. Now we need to get The Great One up to the press box to pose with us.

Dean Blais passed through, too, although I didn't get a chance to chat with him. It was nice to see him back in Grand Forks.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USA played a good game tonight. Sweden was good and stayed in it most of the game. The game could have gone differently if Montoya hadn't made some key saves to keep the US in the lead. The US is still in need of large improvment defensively and left Montoya out to dry a few times (one of which resulted in a Sweden goal). If this doesn't improve they won't get past the Russains. Offensively, the US has been outstanding. Kessel was spectacular to watch tonight, and I thought Stafford played a good game as well. Too bad Lee missed that breakaway, would have been cool to see him get on the board. Well, The US is in for a rough match tomorow night, I hope their ready to step it up one more knotch to ensure themselves a repeat showing in the final. If Canada does not win the gold it will be a major upset in my opinion. However, if the US plays with that much intensity and spirit for a full 60 minutes they have a chance to beat anyone.

Someone got the Hockey Hall of Fame representative to bring the Stanley Cup up to the press box. The stats crew for the USA-Sweden game posed for pictures with it. My fingerprints are on that baby! I thought we should pour some Diet Coke in the top of the cup and drink out of it to celebrate tonight's victory.  ;)

PCM, Diet Coke out of the Stanley Cup?? Blasphomaey!!!!!

The Stanley Cup is only for serving alcoholic beverages out of it! :D:silly::D

PCM, Diet Coke out of the Stanley Cup?? Blasphomaey!!!!!

The Stanley Cup is only for serving alcoholic beverages out of it! :D:silly::D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got back to LA last night and my roomate wanted to eat at Mel's Diner in Hollywood. He was wearing a CCCP jersey and one of the waiters came over and starting talking hockey. He used to work and the Joe in Detroit and when they one in '96 (i think) the Cup was brought to a bar near the arena and everyone their got to drink beer from it. Much better than Diet Coke.

Well, let's try to get the Bronze!

I know the game isn't over but I think all that needs to happen now is the buzzer to sound. Here's my thoughts:

1. SHOOT THE G**DAMN PUCK! There were some great chances that weren't capitolized upon, but that being said, it looked like the Russians were the only team on the ice for a while.

2. DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE! Ok, this has been a problem the entire WJC tourney so no need to elaborate further.

3. PLAY THE GAME!! Too many stupid penalties in this game. Yes, the AR helped Russia out on the O'Sullivan penalty (at MOST it should have been 2 minutes) and the Ref made some ticky tacky calls, but we shouldn't be allowing the ref to have that opportunity! Smart hockey, defense, and scoring wins championships!

Ok, to the US's credit, they weren't the team diving every time they got hit. Players like Callahan, Kessel, Porter, Stafford, and Montoya were playing really really hard. US was also the underdog, but they COULD HAVE WON. GOD I'm so pissed right now.

I can't believe that game...all of those penalties. The Russian team has no class, I can't believe how they acted. They dive with every hit, and taunt like I have never seen in hockey before. At times, it looked like a pro wrestling event with their hands to the ear and pointing at the USA bench. I am now cheering for Team Canada in the gold medal game.

I was talking to a scout today and he said the Russians did their little shhh.

By the time the made it to the WHL they pretty much got it handed to them and didn't do it anymore. I heard also in the OHL one of the classless thugs did the same thing and a Candian player elbowed the classless hack to the ice. I hope Canada pounds their @$$ on tuesday.

I just got home from the Finland versus Sweden game. One thing that was abundantly clear was that the ice is far too soft (the players have been complaining about it too) as I saw at least 3 people lose their edge on the exact same spot. There was water all over the ice that hadn't hardened. I know for a fact that the ice cooling system is awful and hope that the powers that be decide to replace the system in the next year or two. I realize that this would cost a good chunk of money but it seems that it would be good money spent as far as quality of hockey goes.

I just got home from the Finland versus Sweden game.  One thing that was abundantly clear was that the ice is far too soft (the players have been complaining about it too) as I saw at least 3 people lose their edge on the exact same spot.  There was water all over the ice that hadn't hardened.  I know for a fact that the ice cooling system is awful and hope that the powers that be decide to replace the system in the next year or two.  I realize that this would cost a good chunk of money but it seems that it would be good money spent as far as quality of hockey goes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the Sioux's ice has been much better this year. The Ottawa Senators ice guy came in and tweaked the system. The problem for the world juniors is that it is warmer all day long. Bodies and concession stands produce heat. It was warmer at every game I was at for the WJ's than the Sioux exhibition against the US.

The next problem is that they had to repaint the floor with the WJ logo and ads. The new ice only had aabout a week to set up and that just isn't enough time.

Finally these players skate hard. They really tear up the rink. All the practice sights are a mess from what I hear. For the East Side exhibition game, they practically shaved all the ice off just to get rid of the gouges.

I think the system is fine, it's just to much action every day.

Great article about GF's outstanding job hosting the tournament in today's Star-Tribune.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And for once we didn't have to read how the arena was built by a Nazi-loving, logo-obsessed, gambling magnate. :silly:

Thanks, Greyeagle. Yeah, nice piece indeed. I think this is exactly what Engelstad wanted. A great arena for Sioux hockey, but also something for the city to be proud of and to show off to the world. The REA facility makes possible these major events, and by doing so gives the community a chance to demonstrate that they are a warm, inviting people-- not red-state racist hicks.

Glad to see good things happen in that nice town.

taz