SiouxSports.com Forum

The Official WJC Thread

DMT

You know what the sad part is??  If the U.S wins tomorrow they still win the group because they'll have Russia and the Czechs beat head to head.  So twenty years from now the story will get switched to the point where the U.S. had nothing to win in their last pool game, took it easy against Belarus, and lost....... :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so NOW is the chance for local fans to TURN OUT...beat the, so far, Canadian attendance record, and hopefully compete with the Canadian fans for sheer enthusiasm! I expect US fans won't compete for gross beer sales though....man those Hoser Bladders are HUGE!!! ;)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleh! That was lame. I thought Belarus played quite well, but the USA defensive game was pretty much at a spectator level. Is the "flu" making it's way through the home team locker room? At no time in the first two periods did I see USA get a sense of urgency, they just didn't seem to care until it was too late. That softie from the blue line when Montoya came in was icing on the cake for any Canadian fans in the audience. Quite comical.

But, on the other hand, why not get embarrassed at home? Take your beating and come out guns a blazing for the Czechs. It's a cleansing experience for most teams (except the MN Vikings) being embarrassed like that in front of the home crowd. Renewed appreciation for the level of talent at this tournament.

Yo. Respect.

taz listen up to what da main man Ali G have to say for real

That was a brutal game for the U.S. Belarus should get some credit too. They were opportunistic and their goaltender stopped the puck.

I think the loss--and generally poor play since the Russia game--was a team effort. No facet of the game has been very good. The goaltending has been poor. Defensemen, especially Suter, have made too many mistakes. I still think Suter is easily the best defenseman on the team, but he has made several crucial turnovers. Suter is probably trying to do too much. Someone like A.J. Thelen (last year's version, not this year's) could have taken some pressure off. I continue to really like Nate Hagemo. I think he's a better all-around player right now than Goligoski and I expect him to be an All-WCHA caliber player by next season.

I thought Brian Lee looked a little better, although he's still pretty tentative. I think he'd adjust within a few weeks if he had the opportunity to keep playing at this level. The WJC tournament just isn't the right environment for that to happen. There might be a silver lining for UND: if Lee had looked fantastic in the tournament his draft stock would have risen so much that it likely would have sliced some time off his college career. He will be a great player for the Sioux.

Beyond the O'Sullivan-Stafford duo there doesn't seem to be much chemistry amongh the US forwards. Fritsche and Kessel look dynamite at the individual level.

The U.S. team is a pure finesse team, but not skilled enough to dominate anyone at this level. Suter, Stafford, Bourque, and a couple of other guys are willing to make a hit, but the hits are so few that they are really noticeable when they occur.

With the possible exception of Kessel, I don't see anyone on the U.S team that I would expect to be a star in the NHL. I think Suter will be a top-4 defenseman but probably not a star. Look for the U.S.A. to be much better in a couple of years.

USA loses again...not good. Without being accused of being a homer, is anyone other than Drew Stafford going to show up for the USA? Drew is leading the team in scoring, where are all the other talents? Montoya struggling doesn't surprise me, he has never impressed me. Boys better step up or they will finish right where the Hockey News predicted.

USA loses again...not good.  Without being accused of being a homer, is anyone other than Drew Stafford going to show up for the USA?  Drew is leading the team in scoring, where are all the other talents?  Montoya struggling doesn't surprise me, he has never impressed me.  Boys better step up or they will finish right where the Hockey News predicted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope when the WJC tourney is over the same Drew Stafford returns to the UND bench and plays the same way. I would love to see him on a line with Murray and whoever, it probably doens't matter.