SiouxSports.com Forum

The Official WJC Thread

DMT

(I guess GF Hotels piling on and boosting their rates 100-200% didn't help either but that's another story)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. I tried last spring to book a room for the last few days of the tournament. Closest I could get was Thief River Falls. Then in Nov I was able to book a room in Grafton but it had a 3-night minimum at $150/night! :0

A friend found me another place further away but at $40/night. Meanwhile discussion in Grafton in part due to my experience resulted in the removal of the three night minimum and a reduction to under $100/night. The manager even e-mailed me to re-book there. But when I tried it showed no rooms available. Now I see rooms available again.

I was ready to pay a reasonable increase over normal rates because of the special event. Price gouging and the hassle of booking, cancelling and trying to re-book has been a PITA. I'm still trying to find some place closer but reasonably priced for the convenience of my friend.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada won 7-3. They totally dominated when they played fully awake. The Crosby-Bergeron-Perry(?) line was nearly unstopable. And if you think Mike Prpich deeked Reichmuth out of his jock a couple weeks ago, you should have seen Patrice Bergeron absolutely undress the Slovak goaltender about 17 times on the first goal of the game. :0

I do not believe there are any tickets for the Gold Medal game left.

The USA-Russia game was one of the most exciting games I've ever witnessed. It had a little of something for everyone. Stafford was fantastic.

Did anyone notice Alexander Ovechkin (8), the Russian captain, skating in the US zone before the start of the third period and acting like he was shooting at Montoya? No sooner had the linesman pushed him back to his own side than Enver Lisin (26) came into the US zone and started doing the same thing. A linesman grabbed him and pushed him back across the red line, too.

I've never seen a player do something that arrogant before.

Reflections from the Ponch on Day 1:

Canada- outstanding, Bergeron and Crosby lit up the scoreboard more than a jamaican at a Bob Marley concert. I couldn't seem to find any weaknesses with this Canadian team.

Slovakia- a lot of improvements need to be made there, granted they were playing the eventual champion canadians but seemed out of sorts. Nothing went well for them, when the puck was in the Canucks zone (emphasis on when) no forecheck seemed to work. My buddy Sal noticed in the 1st they went with a polish polveriser 2 below the line and 1 at the face off circle strong side, then i saw in the 2nd they changed to a left wing lock, and finally in the 3rd they tried to trap and each forecheck led to the same result. At least they got Canada out of their way early.

Russia-Arrogant, cocky, ruthless, bull-headed coaching, extremely skilled. Those words summed up this Russian team and pretty much every team before them. Shirokov's antics after his goal on the penalty shot were out of line and juvenile. Another embarrasment for the russians is getting a player tossed from an international competition on american television. They're having enough trouble gaining respect back and this is just another setback. Ovechkin and Malkin were everything expected both played nice games, only bad thing to say about Ovechkin is the star wars shield and the missed one timer in the dwindling seconds. Another bad coaching move, the russians contained possession in the American end for about 20 seconds with about a minute left, yet the goalie stayed in the net, when will these Russians swallow there pride and realize the extra guy will help. This team played us very tough in my view and will be in the medal round seeking revenge on our warriors in white.

The Patriots- a very nice win for the boys to start the tournament, amazing job by the top line (stafford, borque, o' sullivan) they were buzzing all night and i believe put 2 goals in. Good game as expected from Fritsche notching to goals for our boys, Robbie Schremp i believed tallied the other one. It seemed strange to me that Sandelin didnt play Schremp much more than on the powerplay, in my own opinion he has the most raw talent and skill out of everyone on the ice. Kessel made his first appearance at this level, and where he didn't drop any jaws or shock any collars still played a nice game for his debut. Didn't see too much of Sioux recruit Brian Lee tonight, which is disappointing but in the magnitude of the game understandable. I see him getting his time vs. teams like Switzerland and Belarus.

The Goalies- very unimpressed with the goalies i watched today at the gorgeous Ralph in Grand Forks, including my own teams goalie Al Montoya. In both games I watched nearly half the goals were weak, i understand the penalty shot goals, but i believe Al could have made saves on the first goal of the game where he saw the puck the whole way and also Ovechkins goal. He seemed to heat up and play good when he needed to in the third and make some big saves. Khubodin from Russia also had a couple he'd like to have back. I dont even want to go into the Canada-Slovakia game, because none of us have the time.

The Recap-U.S.A.-5 Russia-4, Canada-7 Slovakia-3, Finland-4 Germany-1, Czech Republic-7 Belarus-2. Tomorrow's games-Switzerland vs. Belarus (GF) 6:00, Sweden vs. Germany (TRF) 6:00

Poncho's Picks for Tomorrow (sorry bobby)

Switzerland over Belarus 3-1

Sweden over Germany 4-1

sorry for the length, but get used to it i love this tournament, GO PATRIOTS!

The USA-Russia game was one of the most exciting games I've ever witnessed. It had a little of something for everyone. Stafford was fantastic.

Did anyone notice Alexander Ovechkin (8), the Russian captain, skating in the US zone before the start of the third period and acting like he was shooting at Montoya? No sooner had the linesman pushed him back to his own side than Enver Lisin (26) came into the US zone and started doing the same thing. A linesman grabbed him and pushed him back across the red line, too.

I've never seen a player do something that arrogant before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with everything you said.

What a fantastic game. When Stafford scored the first goal, I thought the roof was going to come off the place. He looked great tonight, especially in the first. His level of play was elevated; as good as he has been at times, I don't recall seeing that kind of play from him wearing the green and white - maybe that is about to change.

As an aside, Montoya was terrible in the first. I can't fault him on the penalty shot, but giving up three goals on four or five shots in the first, when goaltending is supposed to be the one of USA's strengths, was unexpected. He recovered nicely in the second and third though.

Ovechkin gives the appearance of arrogance, but he is quite a player and to me seemed to back up the ego. My group noticed him skating in toward Montoya before the start of the third. I also haven't seen that before. The fact that he was wearing a shaded visor tipped us off during warmups to a possibly inflated ego.

Did anyone happen to notice following warmups when the entire Russian team was off the ice, in their lockerroom, Ovechkin sat on their team bench by himself, with his gloves and helmet off staring at the ice while the zamboni made its rounds. Every once in a while he would look back toward the suites and tug at his jersey and nod his head and smile. After the zamboni made about four laps he put all his gear back on, hopped the boards, skated across the ice and went down his tunnel. To me, that was very bizarre. Hockey is clearly a team sport and he made every indication that he was separating himself from the team (ritual or not).

Anyway, congrats to USA on a great start. Hopefully, they can keep it up.

I agree with everything you said.

What a fantastic game. When Stafford scored the first goal, I thought the roof was going to come off the place. He looked great tonight, especially in the first. His level of play was elevated; as good as he has been at times, I don't recall seeing that kind of play from him wearing the green and white - maybe that is about to change.

As an aside, Montoya was terrible in the first. I can't fault him on the penalty shot, but giving up three goals on four or five shots in the first, when goaltending is supposed to be the one of USA's strengths, was unexpected. He recovered nicely in the second and third though.

Ovechkin gives the appearance of arrogance, but he is quite a player and to me seemed to back up the ego. My group noticed him skating in toward Montoya before the start of the third. I also haven't seen that before. The fact that he was wearing a shaded visor tipped us off during warmups to a possibly inflated ego.

Did anyone happen to notice following warmups when the entire Russian team was off the ice, in their lockerroom, Ovechkin sat on their team bench by himself, with his gloves and helmet off staring at the ice while the zamboni made its rounds. Every once in a while he would look back toward the suites and tug at his jersey and nod his head and smile. After the zamboni made about four laps he put all his gear back on, hopped the boards, skated across the ice and went down his tunnel. To me, that was very bizarre. Hockey is clearly a team sport and he made every indication that he was separating himself from the team (ritual or not).

Anyway, congrats to USA on a great start. Hopefully, they can keep it up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you just have to realize how important rituals are. i don't play sports much, but i do things the exact same way, no matter if its just a league game or for state. you wouldn't want to change it in one of the most important games of the tournament just to "appear" as part of a team for the fans. believe me, his teammates understand its a ritual and nothing personal.

Maybe it's just because it was USA vs. Russia hockey, but I thought this was an EXTREMELY exciting game to watch.

I hope nobody missed it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never really paid that much attention to the WJC before this year and this was the first game i watched...it was pretty awesome! So much scoring and action i couldn't beleive it! :0

I don't recall seeing Lee on the ice. Although, Lee's bio on the world junior site does have him listed as playing a game. I also don't remember seeing Goligoski on the ice after he let the Russian in on the breakaway that resulted in the penalty shot goal. I'd also like to see the defensemen play the body more like Sutter did on Ovechkin in the 3rd rather than missing a poke check and having the guy get by them and get a shot off.

you just have to realize how important rituals are.  i don't play sports much, but i do things the exact same way, no matter if its just a league game or for state.  you wouldn't want to change it in one of the most important games of the tournament just to "appear" as part of a team for the fans.  believe me, his teammates understand its a ritual and nothing personal.

I understand the importance of rituals and how commonplace they are, but after watching sports and hockey, in particular, for many, many years, I have never seen one player overtly separate himself from their team like Ovechkin did tonight. It is not as if he sat on the bench by himself for 20 or 30 seconds without his team, he sat there for five minutes or longer, across the ice from his team after they had departed the ice for their lockerroom. Like I said, ritual or not, it was very bizarre.

The USA-Russia game: WOW!

I have never seen a snap shot like Ovechkin has. I don't see how any goalie could react in time to his shot. Montoya never reacted to any of the Russian shots that were goals. I really can't blame him either except maybe for the penalty shot goal. By the end of the game he seemed to be squaring to the shooter better and didn't need to react much due to great positioning.

I was expecting a Russian blow out, and it amazed me how easily Russia let us gain the zone in the first period. They did a better job in the neutral zone by the third. Our drop passes and changing lanes really had the D confused in the first.

Our D played pretty well against a much faster O. When you see Russia again watch when they cross the blue line. The puck carrier will kind of coast in, pass and then pick up the speed and dart towards the net. I really only saw one player get past our D on this move. The other times we did a good job of covering him. Suter got flat out schooled by Ovechkin on his goal. He also tried carrying the puck up a few times and ended up giving Russsia a rush.

Two extra players on the bench. So eight D-man. No real reason to play Lee.

Stupid reverse angle camera in the upperdeck was a pain.

A lot of fun. If only the NHL could play like these kids. Or play at all.

I can't even remember if I've posted this on the board or not...

Ovechkin apparently bought out Gerrell's on some hockey items like sock tape. I guess he also purchased quite a few sticks. I wonder if it was all for him, or for the team.

He also wanted to get his teeth bleached when visiting the dentist for a mouthguard.

Has he signed his NHL contract?

Wow. I didn't expect the level of speed and skill from this group. What a great game to watch. It is clear that both USA and Russia had that tourney "high" going for the first two periods-- resulting in some of the best back-n-forth I've seen in a while. Lot's of speed from the forwards, who were allowed to buzz around all over the ice. Montoya made the saves when he absolutely had to. That game made for a great Christmas Day family event.

How cool was Stafford's goal, in front of the partisan Sioux crowd? Would have been nice to be there to hear the "USA!" chant. Can anyone comment more on the crowd last night? Enthusiasm? It seemed pretty good on TV. Kudos to ESPN for showing the game. I'm not always a fan of that network, but many thanks for giving me the opportunity to watch.

taz

Day 2 From the Ponch:

Belarus- This team needs to hop back onto the plane to spare themselves from any more embarrassment then they've already suffered. I remember this country gaining a lot of respect from me during the 2002 Olympics where i believe they made the bronze medal game. All that was gained that evening might have been lost tonight in an embarrassing 5 goal loss and shut out to a Switzerland team. In my view they looked extremely unmotivated and not ready to play in a tournament of this calibar. Hopefully the teams like the US and Czech take it easy on these boys or we'll see double digits on the scoreboard.

Switzerland-Played a bad Belarussian team, scored 5 goals which is more than i thought they'd score this tournament, still in my view the 4th best team in their pool behind russia, czech, and the patriots. Stancesu was the player that impressed me on this team. I believe he notched two points, and he's the only player on this team that i see having an NHL career, however i am not sure that he's been drafted.

Crowd- Not full at the Ralph today which is expected, but I was still to see the numbers that showed to watch maybe the two worst teams in the tournament play. Keep it up GF and this tournament should stay fun to watch.

The Recap- Switzerland- 5 Belarus-0, Sweden-6 Germany-0

Tomorrow's Games- Canada-Sweden 3:30 (GF), Czech Republic-Russia 4:00 (TRF), Finland-Slovakia 7:30 (TRF), Switzerland-Patriots 8:00 (GF)

Poncho's Picks

Switzerland over Belarus 3-1, actual score Switzerland over Belarus 5-0

Sweden over Germany 4-1, actual score Sweden over Germany 6-0

Canada over Sweden 4-2

Russia over Czech Republic 3-1

Finland over Slovakia 5-3

The Patriots over Switzerland 6-1

100% after two games, not to shabby eh fellaz.

Very decent crowd tonight. It was interesting to watch the Wild's pick on the Swiss team -- #26 Sprunger -- big forward (think Barry Tallackson size) was o.k. -- definitely could be more dominant -- speed seemed decent for the size but "something" was lacking -- not on the penalty kill unit(s). #7 Furrer played well on D -- definite leader of the Swiss d-corp (we were behind the Swiss bench and it was interesting watching him talk to the other d-men). The Swiss coaches weren't as vocal as say the Slovakian coaches (they were pretty vocal yesterday) -- only time noticed much emotion (probably 'cause the game wasn't too close/in question) was when their player took a stick to the face -- no penalty called -- once the blood was cleared away it wasn't a big cut, but pretty close to his eye -- he had an ice bag to his head the rest of the way. The Belarus team seemed chippy. Both goalies had some very nice saves; the breakaways the Swiss had killed Belarus.

Hopefully the USA's d-corp stays assignment sharp (and Montoya doesn't have another period like Saturday's 1st period). Should be a good game.

Go USA.