SiouxSports.com Forum

The Official WJC Thread

DMT

Kessel is indeed something else. He's bigger than I expected, and he seemed to really improve from the first game to the second (the opponent may have had something to do with that).

I personally thought Lee looked very, very tentative out there. It's understandable, but it made him pretty ineffective. Hopefully he can get a little more comfortable with more ice time, then we can see what he can do. Regardless of how much ice time he sees, I'm guessing HS hockey might be moving in slow motion for him when he gets back.

I haven't liked Likens, but Suter has suited me. Actually Suter, Hagemo and Borer have seemed the most steady to me, with the other defensemen seeming to struggle. I've only seen it on TV, so I don't necessarliy have the right perspective. (And even if I were there, I wouldn't neceesarily have the right opinion.) But that's how I have seen it.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kessel is indeed something else.  He's bigger than I expected, and he seemed to really improve from the first game to the second (the opponent may have had something to do with that).

I personally thought Lee looked very, very tentative out there.  It's understandable, but it made him pretty ineffective.  Hopefully he can get a little more comfortable with more ice time, then we can see what he can do.  Regardless of how much ice time he sees, I'm guessing HS hockey might be moving in slow motion for him when he gets back.

I haven't liked Likens, but Suter has suited me.  Actually Suter, Hagemo and Borer have seemed the most steady to me, with the other defensemen seeming to struggle.  I've only seen it on TV, so I don't necessarliy have the right perspective.  (And even if I were there, I wouldn't neceesarily have the right opinion.)  But that's how I have seen it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jk is right on the money. Kessel is the most dynamic (not the most effective--yet) player in the lineup for the U.S. If he's out, it's a big loss.

I'm a huge Brian Lee fan..but he looked almost paralyzed out there last night. He's capable of much more, but I don't think we'll get a chance to see it in this tournament.

Suter is clearly the best of the U.S. defensemen. I like Hagemo as number 2. The rest are a little shaky. Borer is pretty steady, but I think he's steadily average.

Stafford has made some great plays and two excellent shots for goals. He's one of the few U.S. players who looks to make a hit now and then. That said, he's also made some horrible plays including completely losing his man on the first Swiss goal last night and a boneheaded penalty or two. I'd like to see some more consistency.

I have been watching the games - I get TSN so I am able to see Canada as well. The games are F***ing great! However - I do see quite a few empty seats. Is there any indication yet as to how the tournament is living up to the economic expectations?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what service do you have that allows you to get TSN, does anyone know if midcontinent digital cable can get that?? whether it be a special order channel or whatever

Lets hope someone outside the WCHA gets Kessel, the kid is going to make an immediate impact in college.  He looks a lot like Parise on the ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Kessel is at least as talented as Parise. From what I've seen so far, Kessel looks like more of a goal-scorer than a playmaker though. Parise makes his teammates better. I'm waiting to see that from Kessel (and I suspect I will).

I think Kessel is at least as talented as Parise. From what I've seen so far, Kessel looks like more of a goal-scorer than a playmaker though. Parise makes his teammates better. I'm waiting to see that from Kessel (and I suspect I will).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He may well get there, but he often loafed both getting in to forecheck and backchecking against Russia. Very good one on one with the puck, but not at Parise's level of all around player yet.

I think it's too early to know whether the tournament will live up to economic expectations. If the gold medal game is between Canada and the US, you can bet that Grand Forks will be flooded with Canadian and American fans. If it's between two other teams, all bets are off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it is early - but as far a ticket sales go...was there an assumption that the games at the Ralph would be sold out (full)?

They're IIHF licensed officials from all over the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think for the most part the officiating has been good. With the exception of the linesman (who looked about 15 years old) for the Canada-Sweden game. I have never seen someone throw so many people out of the faceoff. It was rediculous.

I have been watching the games - I get TSN so I am able to see Canada as well. The games are F***ing great! However - I do see quite a few empty seats. Is there any indication yet as to how the tournament is living up to the economic expectations?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is an artile from the Forum on the attendance.

I know it is early - but as far a ticket sales go...was there an assumption that the games at the Ralph would be sold out (full)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't remember anyone saying that they expected to sell out every game.

I don't remember anyone saying that they expected to sell out every game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i would be willing to bet that if you took a photo of the lower bowl during the usa games, and a photo of the lower bowl during the canada games, you would be able to piece the puzzle together and make a full lower bowl. point being some canadian fans with lower bowl seats aren't going to the us games and vice versa

The U.S. has had some success so far, but I question how far this team can go with the defensemen playing like they are. I won't mention any names, but a couple of the guys look absolutely lost out there. One d-man (from the WCHA) was on the ice for three of the goals that the Swiss scored.... :silly:

He may well get there, but he often loafed both getting in to forecheck and backchecking against Russia. Very good one on one with the puck, but not at Parise's level of all around player yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While he may never have the Parise all around game (few do), the points he is scoring against college competition with the NTDP leads me to believe he will likely become a more potent offensive threat. Of course I've seen him play a total of one time on TV now, so my opinion isn't that valuable. :silly:

Of course I've seen him play a total of one time on TV now, so my opinion isn't that valuable. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I"ve seen him once live (vs Russia) and TV last night, so mine isn't worth much either. I"d expect him to provide offense for whatever college team gets him, but may, at times, be a defensive liability, kinda Vanek-like ;)

weird, I open this link with my Firefox browser and I get some funkly looking code or configuration documentation. Open it with IE and it works just fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Code not supported by firefox, maybe it's activex, although I wouldn't recognize it. Good choice with firefox anyway. Assuming you added the ie extension for firefox, that allows opening a link in ie from a right click context menu?

Code not supported by firefox, maybe it's activex, although I wouldn't recognize it. Good choice with firefox anyway. Assuming you added the ie extension for firefox, that allows opening a link in ie from a right click context menu?

WOOOOOOOSH (sound of things going right over my head).

The IT guy put it on my machine at work and said give it a try. That's all I know. I'm at home now so will check it out tomorrow.

That's cause Firefox is based on Mozilla, hence it's official name "Mozilla Firefox."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Off topic but if you like the tabbed browsing of firefox, but find sites that you like that don't work with it. You might try Maxthon. Has the functionality of firefox but works with or on IE. (disclaimer-- I couldn't tell you other pros/cons, but I have used it for over a year and I love it). The IIHF pages work fine with it.

The U.S. has had some success so far, but I question how far this team can go with the defensemen playing like they are.  I won't mention any names, but a couple of the guys look absolutely lost out there.  One d-man (from the WCHA) was on the ice for three of the goals that the Swiss scored.... :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there is any question the US will need to improve defensively and in nets to win the tourney. When the tourney is finished we have a better feel for how good or bad the Swiss were.

They need to get there game in order tonight and start playing there very best in the Czech game. Then maintain it for another two games.

You know what the sad part is?? If the U.S wins tomorrow they still win the group because they'll have Russia and the Czechs beat head to head. So twenty years from now the story will get switched to the point where the U.S. had nothing to win in their last pool game, took it easy against Belarus, and lost....... :silly: