SiouxSports.com Forum

The Official WJC Thread

DMT

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the people in Grand Forks and USA Hockey for hosting a great tournament.

This was a big step forward for USA Hockey in terms of sponsoring an international event and keeping the finances in the black at the same time. The quality of play, proximity to Canada and the venue resulted in a winning combination. I hope they see through the politics and understand that the tournament should come back to the Ralph whenever the US hosts it again.

Next year the US should earn a medal based on previous U18 performances and others players coming up, regardless if there is an NHL season.

Old news by now, but an interesting read nonetheless!

Drew Stafford's

World Junior Journal

January 3rd....2005.....Happy New Year. Well, this update is going to be a short one for there is really not too much to say. We aren't exactly where we want to be as far as tournament standing, but we have a great opportunity to accomplish a huge feat; winning a bronze medal. The great USA has only won four medals in the history of this tournament, and we have a chance to win five tomarrow night.

We are going into tomorrow night's game with the mindset to end this marathon on a good note. We have a chance to win a medal tomorrow and were going to go after it. Our loss to Russia in the semi's hurt, especially after all their taunting and stupid celebrations, but we still have an opportunity to finish strong. I am kind of in a rut, because I don't want either team to win the gold tomorrow, I wish it were us, but I hope someone on Canada goes after those Russian showboats. It will probably be Sidney Crosby. He does everything.

On a side note, Ovechkin looks like Robocop's second cousin on the ice with that halfie he's got on.

Anyway, tomarrow is the last day of the tournament and overall it has been a great experience; definitely a learning experience. I hope we end on a good note. Until then...stay hot.

New Year's Eve.....One more day until we bring in the new year. As a team we didn't exactly finish off 2004 the way we wanted to dropping two straight games to a fiesty Belarus team and a very skilled Czech team.

The focus over the past week has basically just been on just getting better and obviously winning. Since we didn't accomplish the second part of our focus, we have been just trying to put the losses behind us and keep our eyes on the path ahead, which is a huge quarterfinal game against Sweden on Saturday.

Here is where I usually describe what happened in each game and all, but there isn't really much to say. In the Belarus game we did not play as well as we could have and we waited until the third period to start playing how we can. By then it was too late, and Belarus hung on and won a well deserved game. That one was hard to swallow, but we still had an opportunity to clinch 1st in our pool if we beat the Czechs. However, even though we played a really good game, the Czechs

defeated us and ripped the 1st place spot from our hands. That game was even harder to deal with because I felt we definitely deserved to win that game, we just didn't get the bounces and their goalie was hot.

So, it is just back to work for us, and we took today off basically, just resting up for tomarrow night. A lot of guys have bumps and bruises, and a few guys are getting sick, so today was a day to heal up a bit. A

lot of teams seem to be having injury problems so we are not alone. Its just a little more adversity we have to deal with.

Overall though the team morale is pretty good still and not too many people realize that we are still playing for a gold medal. We are taking the long way, but I think we will be ready. We took a step forward in our game against the Czechs and we should be hungry and anxious to play against Sweden.

Everyone is favoring Canada and saying the gold medal is already theirs, but there is a lot of hockey left, and we are very much in the hunt......we now are going to take this one game at a time and the real

tournament starts tomarrow night. Next time I write, I am hoping we are sitting in the semis. It will take a lot of hard work, but I have faith we will perservere. Until next time.....have fun always.

Hello all...today is the 28th of December and we are just about half way through the tournament. We had a huge game against Russia last Saturday on Christmas Day and it was one to remember. After finally settling into the Ralph lockerroom and working out any kinks during our remaining pre-tourney practices, we were ready to face arguably our toughest opponent in our pool. Los Russians.

Anyway, they have the greatest NHL prospect of all time on their team. Alexander Ovechkin. Wow, is this guy special. Seriously, can anyone say snapper in stride? His explosiveness rivals Zach Parise's in my opinion.

So, the Russians had a ton of fire-power up front, and we had to play great defensively in order to prevent them from using their best attribute.

However, our offensive proved to be the better and highlighted by a two goal performance from Ohio's own Danny "The Polish Hammer" Fritsche, the great USA won.

What an unbelieveable feeling it was hearing our anthem at the end of the game with the home crowd singing along. That was an unbelieveable experience. But, 7 minutes and a pool party later, we realized there is a lot more tournament left and we have to get ready for a hungry Swiss team.

The Swiss were a really tough team to play against and they really made it hard for us to put the game away. Although we never trailed during the game, we never could break away from the hard-checking Swiss and they kept scoring and coming back.

Finally in the third period we started getting bounces and put the game away 6-4. Phil Kessel's play put him in the highlight portion of Sportcenter that night, by the way. He is going to be a good one too, even though he is still 12. Ladies, stop calling him too, he's taken.

Anyway, from the Swiss game we learned a valuable lesson, and Coach Sandelin definitely made sure we understood what we were playing for and why we are here. He reiterated the fact that everytime we step on the ice we need to use that time to get better and prepare and we cannot take that time for granted. This tournament is definitely not a sprint....it is a marathon and everyday is a chance to improve and get ready to go back to war. So here we are, one day away from Belarus, and this next game is a great chance for us to move forward in our quest for 1st place in our pool. Belarus works hard and are pretty skilled so it should a good test for us, but I believe that if we work harder than them and win all the little battles, our skill will take care of the rest. Speaking of that, while I was watching Casey Borer freestyle walk today, he told me, "You know what Staff? Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." That is like the worst quote or cliche of them all, but it definitely is true. But when talent also works hard....oh man, all I can say is keep your pants on.

In all seriousness we are ready for Belarus and it should be battle. By the way, if anyone wants to take on Cory Schneider and I in the game Catchphrase, you know where to find me. Until next time....dare to dream.

Thanks schmidtdoggydog, I enjoyed reading Stafford's perspective on things. Interestingly enough one of his predictions in his 3 Jan post came true as the Canadian National newspaper The Globe and Mail states that it was a first period hit by Sidney Crosby that caused Ovechkins shoulder injury.

That's it, 6-1 Canada. Shots 32-19. Dominated everyone start to finish.

First time the gold medal game has been won by more than 3 goals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must have been something in the air last night. stars alined or something. 2 big blowouts in one night. :(

A few odds and ends:

The Candian televison ratings are out. Tuesday night was the 2nd highest viewers ever for TSN: Drew 3.2 million Canadian viewers Anyone know the ESPN2 ratings?

This National Post columnist, A Grand Affair for Canada, wasn't exactly endeared by Grand Forks' offerings:

Visitors learned that Grand Forks is not a reference to the local restaurants, where it appears that only the eggs and ice cream are not deep-fried. They learned how to drive on glare ice, because the civic budget apparently doesn't extend to sand. They learned to wade through snow-drifts where sidewalks normally would have been. They bought snowboots. Those who came from longer distances marvelled at the cold, struck by winter's ferocity on the prairie.
In the South, you can get deep-fried eggs and ice cream. :(

And finally, the one foreign head of state that was rumored planning to attend failed to show. But Belarus' Alexander Lukashenko probably had other issues on his mind (like a coup while watching a hockey game at the REA!).

Domino Theory: Will Ukraine's 'Orange Revolution' spread?

Europe's last Stalinist spent much of the last month bolstering his power base, firing six more liberal members of his inner circle and appointing a confirmed hard-liner as his No. 2—a former general prosecutor accused by human-rights groups of "disappearing" opposition leaders.

The Monster's go it right: Tak! Yushchenko!

This may have been posted before, but it is an interesting story about USA Hockey and their approach to the World Jr tournament.

ESPN Article

Several player and coaching speculations that ring true, but no real facts to back them up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, was there enough criticism to go around for that writer. Did appear they could have used a couple good stay at home dmen, not sure if the 3 the writer says were overlooked would fill that bill or not. Guess we'll never know. I'd assume the organization, which got tons of praise last year, hasn't changed.

May be hard to measure how much the leadership (and play) of Stuart and Parise meant to last year's team.

Suter logged lots of ice time and was no doubt the best defensive dman, but he turned the puck over a multitude of times when trying to rush it up ice, including during the Christmas Day win over the Russians.

Had the US put one of those great chances past Schwartz (sp?) in OT, I'd guess everyone would be happy.

sprig, I agree with all of that, but I would add the names Patrick Eaves, Wiesnewski (badly spelled probably) and Carle to the list. It was a spectacular class for the USA, and the following class wasn't as good (sorry to state the obvious).

This article is also being discussed on USCHO. I'll post here what I posted there.

Having watched 21 World Juniors games in 17 days and every team that played in the tournament at least once, I can say that without question, the Canadians were in a class by themselves. No other team in the tournament was anywhere close to their level of skill and talent. It would have taken an act of the hockey gods to deny Canada the title this year.

The greatest difference between Russia, the Czech Republic and the USA was goaltending. USA beat Russia once and was in both games with the Czechs. Czech goalie Marek Schwarz was the difference. He simply outplayed Montoya in both games.

Using 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to second-guess the decisions made by USA Hockey. Who would have guessed that the same goalie who played a large part in the US winning the gold last year would prove so unreliable this year?

Yes, it would have been nice to have won the bronze. The truth is, Team USA wasn't that far away from the silver. And I'm sure there is room for improvement in coaching and the team selection process.

But to say that the same people and system that brought the USA the gold last year are now fatally flawed and must be scrapped is rather ridiculous. It's a hysterical overreaction, in my opinion.

sprig, I agree with all of that, but I would add the names Patrick Eaves, Wiesnewski (badly spelled probably) and Carle to the list.  It was a spectacular class for the USA, and the following class wasn't as good (sorry to state the obvious).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, couldn't remember all of them. I believe Kesler was a big part of the offense also, wasn't he?

If there was one dman that got singled out during that tournament for getting burned frequently, it was Carle. Seems that the experience was a good thing for him though, since he finished the season as one of the blue line mainstays on the NCAA championship team, and by all reports seems to be as solid or more so this year.

This article is also being discussed on USCHO. I'll post here what I posted there.

Having watched 21 World Juniors games in 17 days and every team that played in the tournament at least once, I can say that without question, the Canadians were in a class by themselves. No other team in the tournament was anywhere close to their level of skill and talent. It would have taken an act of the hockey gods to deny Canada the title this year.

The greatest difference between Russia, the Czech Republic and the USA was goaltending. USA beat Russia once and was in both games with the Czechs. Czech goalie Marek Schwarz was the difference. He simply outplayed Montoya in both games.

Using 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to second-guess the decisions made by USA Hockey. Who would have guessed that the same goalie who played a large part in the US winning the gold last year would prove so unreliable this year?

Yes, it would have been nice to have won the bronze. The truth is, Team USA wasn't that far away from the silver. And I'm sure there is room for improvement in coaching and the team selection process.

But to say that the same people and system that brought the USA the gold last year are now fatally flawed and must be scrapped is rather ridiculous. It's a hysterical overreaction, in my opinion.

Very good perspective.

Hradek's article is certainly interesting, and even more interesting to me after some things I overheard just outside the press conference after the gold medal game.

I overheard U.S. Director of Player Personnel Lew Mongelluzzo talking with two gentlemen whose faces I couldn't place, but he was cleary disappointed with the entire process and hierarchy. I can't remember what he said verbatim, but the gist of it was that they have to re-think how they go about selecting players and who exactly should be selecting players.

I'm almost positive I heard him remark that "Sandy (Sandelin) said before the tournament, 'Lew, I'm not familiar with a lot of these players.'"

And he said it in a way that sounded like a lot of the selection burden fell on Sandelin's shoulders and it wasn't a burden Sandelin himself wasn't comfortable with.

PCM, thanks for reposting here.

I agree the criticism in the article is over the top. However, there are some legitimate issues on decisions by committee and the associated accountability.

There is tremendous depth in the Canadian system (reference U17 tournaments recently). We have countered with a National Dev Training Program, but is it enough?

There won't be any more gold medals for the US team until we put a bit of an edge on the US team's organization. If we are satisfied with the occasional bronze and silver, then so be it. We will always have the customary excuses to go along with those less than 1st place finishes with the current approach.

I'm a big surprised this name never appeared w/all the talk about the way the D was picked for the USA;

Calgary - The Western Hockey League today announced that defenceman Dustin Byfuglien of the Prince George Cougars has been named the HUSKY WHL Player of the Month for December.

The 19-year-old from Roseau, Minnesota recorded five goals and 16 points in 10 games in December. Byfuglien also had a plus minus rating of seven for the month and finished tied for second among all WHL players in scoring during the month.

Byfuglien recorded a power-play goal and added two game-winning goals in December and currently is first in team scoring with 13 goals and 33 points. He is also second in WHL scoring among defencemen this season.

If I remember correctly he's about 6'4 250 lbs.

Haven't seen this posted before:

Under a new proposal from Hockey Canada, the governing body of the sport in Canada, each major junior team would in the future be restricted to one non-North American player and one U.S.-born player.
Nonsense to freeze out U.S. players

By Damien Cox

Special to ESPN.com

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- It was symbolic, perhaps, that the Palace on the Prairie served as such a hospitable home to Canada's perfect junior team this week.

The spectacular Ralph Englestad Arena on the grounds of the University of North Dakota, the site of Canada's gold medal victory against Russia on Tuesday and the home away from home for thousands of boisterous Canadian hockey fans during the 10-country tournament, is a monument to the commitment and passion the school has long held for the sport on both sides of the border.

Specifically, North Dakota has long opened its arms to young hockey players from Canada's 10 provinces, offering university educations in exchange for being part of the Fighting Sioux shinny tradition.

The list of Canadians who have played for North Dakota is long and distinguished, from former pros like Dennis Hextall, Dave Tippett and Troy Murray to current NHLers like Ed Belfour, James Patrick and Greg Johnson.

How strange, then, that in the background to this year's junior tournament was a controversial proposal by Canadian hockey authorities to severely restrict the numbers of American-born players permitted to play in the top major junior leagues north of the border.

That would be great for UND and the NCAA.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/20...805915-sun.html

Yes, everything you hear about the palatial Ralph Engelstad Arena is true, it's that beautiful. Now, can the fine folks of Grand Forks -- obviously very proud of their rink -- stop asking if we think it's great. It's like Canadians who say to their American cousins, "What do you think of our country? It's nice, isn't it?" ...
also

PARTING GIFTS: A pox on the hotel owners in Grand Forks who really began to gouge potential customers when the border to Canada closed due to the snow. One couple, related to a media member from Winnipeg, was asked to pay $250 for one night in a hotel room that regularly goes for $40. Karma will get you ...

This proposal is ridiculous, of course, but it shouldn't surprise anybody. It is attitudes like these that sour my attitude toward Canadian hockey (I cheered for Canada in the gold metal game on Tuesday only because I didn't like Russia). They hate the idea of hockey being played by anyone but Canadians.

If they want to limit the presence of Americans and Europeans in their precious Major Junior system, by all means let them. It probably will encourage more top players in the States and the Old World to consider College Hockey. I wouldn't mind seeing another Spirko or two wearing Green and White in the future! :(