SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Today would be a good day to learn about an incoming defenseman or two* ... or three. Right-handed shot if I get a choice. 

*That's everyday for the last month or so ... ???

The good news... nothing has really changed from a week ago with the few remaining "high-end" defenseman left in the portal. All still uncommitted. The bad news? Things could really start to spiral IF they start committing elsewhere. At this point, expectations for next year are completely on hold. Almost all dependent on those 3 Transfers. 

20 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I miss the days of connections to strong programs where we would get a string of recruits that already played together and had chemistry. Shattuck was great to this program for a while. Then Penticton provided a nice string of players too. 

What, Northstar Christian Academy ain't gettin' it done for ya? ;) 

(Strinden, soon Croal, and strangely Bauer Berry attended there also.)

Well, color me disappointed. I thought by now there would have been at least two announcements for portal d-men who are so excited to continue their journey at the University of North Dakota.

Nevertheless, hope springs eternal. Even if spring itself seems hopelessly distant.

(Maybe they're waiting till the snow melts to make new roster announcements?)

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The evil of the portal is going on full display for all to see.

Wisconsin will pluck MSU-Mankato of recruits and select players via the portal. And the rest of us can only watch in amazed horror. 

It seems so wrong there should be a rule in place

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If I were Mankato I wouldn't release a single recruit from an NLI unless I had a guarantee they are not going to Wisconsin. 

I've never signed an NLI so I don't know the full extent of what they're signing, but generally isn't there an out with an NIL if a coach were to leave since you're really not only signing to play for a program, you're also signing to play for a coach?

From a raw athletics point of view, NIL sucks.  From a neutral point of view, NIL makes sense.  You go to college as a foundation for the start of your career.  For some, athletics will become their career, for some it's the academics, and for others it's the opportunity for both.  If a kid has an opportunity to improve that foundation, they shouldn't be locked in anywhere and should be able to make the best choice for their future.

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

I've never signed an NLI so I don't know the full extent of what they're signing, but generally isn't there an out with an NIL if a coach were to leave since you're really not only signing to play for a program, you're also signing to play for a coach?

From a raw athletics point of view, NIL sucks.  From a neutral point of view, NIL makes sense.  You go to college as a foundation for the start of your career.  For some, athletics will become their career, for some it's the academics, and for others it's the opportunity for both.  If a kid has an opportunity to improve that foundation, they shouldn't be locked in anywhere and should be able to make the best choice for their future.

I had always thought that coaching changes give you an out on the NLI. If there’s not a coaching change and you ask for a release, the school can restrict where you can go, but I don’t think this happens all that much. 

40 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

They’ve taken the coaches, might as well take some of the players too.

The optics of this type of situation doesn’t look good. Motzko did the same exact thing when he left St. Cloud for Minnesota. I’m sure it isn’t the first or last time something like this happens to a program. “Thank you for letting me serve as your school’s head coach, I’ll be forever grateful….now let me poach as many good current and prospective players from you as I possibly can.” 

• Upvote 1