SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

7 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

You're missing the point.  No one is arguing that Johannes is a bad pickup under the circumstances.  We're arguing that UND shouldn't be in these circumstances to need a Johannes.  

LOL that's fair to say in another thread.... This is about the portal, players coming in and leaving. That's my point! We're filling a need. Johannes was a good pick up.

20 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

You're missing the point.  No one is arguing that Johannes is a bad pickup under the circumstances.  We're arguing that UND shouldn't be in these circumstances to need a Johannes.  

So your preference is UND should have a few guys being strung along each season, not knowing the plan on when they may or may not be coming in?
Because the three options with this particular situation are
1)Bring in a portal guy (or an older kid who somehow hasn't signed with anyone)
2)Bring in someone who isn't ready
3)Happen to have a guy who's actually ready but unknown if he was going to have a spot. And hope he's willing to play another year of juniors if you don't have that spot.

Not at all saying you don't need to have a pipeline, but you can only string so many guys along. And before someone goes off on a tangent, I'm specifically talking about someone replacing Caulfield. 
Yes UND should have a strong pipeline. Yes, they might have to bring some guys in early or delay others, but those situations can work out poorly because they really aren't ready or aren't willing to wait. I think we've seen both happen within the last year or two. 

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So your preference is UND should have a few guys being strung along each season, not knowing the plan on when they may or may not be coming in?
3)Happen to have a guy who's actually ready but unknown if he was going to have a spot. And hope he's willing to play another year of juniors if you don't have that spot.

Not at all saying you don't need to have a pipeline, but you can only string so many guys along. And before someone goes off on a tangent, I'm specifically talking about someone replacing Caulfield. 
Yes UND should have a strong pipeline. Yes, they might have to bring some guys in early or delay others, but those situations can work out poorly because they really aren't ready or aren't willing to wait. I think we've seen both happen within the last year or two. 

I'm not talking specifically about Caulfield's replacement, UND did what they had to do based on the situation...I'm tired of repeating myself here.

Generally speaking, it's already been working out poorly, it can hardly get any worse at this point (scary if it does!).  Justifying this type of roster management is shameful for a program of our stature.  I put our program on a pedestal and wish others did as well.  Berry needs to be a roster accountant as part of his recruiting.  You need to have a gauge for how long players are going to stay and how many you're going to need.  You can just throw s**t at a wall and hope something sticks.  It will never be exact, but most guys you should be able to get a general sense of how long they'll be at campus and our situation this year is horrendous for a program of our stature losing all six D-men at once, our top two goalies, half our forwards.  Now we'll have SO many freshmen that if they don't pan out, you have to keep many of them for four years. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL that's fair to say in another thread.... This is about the portal, players coming in and leaving. That's my point! We're filling a need. Johannes was a good pick up.

You keep trying to argue with me about "your point" when I've never been discussing "your point".  I keep telling you that I the Johannes pickup is fine for what it is while ignoring that it's not my point.  We keep going around in circles like dogs chasing our tails.  Go back to my first post I made today post-Johannes pickup and it had nothing to do with your point at all, yet you feel compelled to keep quoting me.  I'm a big picture guy.  Johannes is like a tulip growing on a grim, apocalyptic landscape...you keep wanting me to approve of your tulip while I'm looking at massive issue at hand with why our program has fallen so low on the roster management side of things.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Some Johnson kid who played D and should be coming to UND as a freshman in the fall rings a bell.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Open ended question (Not looking to be combative or argumentative):

I don't follow our hockey recruiting close enough, but are we just not offering enough guys or getting enough commitments in general? I know there were issues a few years back about Wisconsin offering endless guys and getting endless commitments and that they wouldn't be able to pull them all in.

From a numbers standpoint, are we offering as many as other schools? Are we getting a similar number of commitments as other schools? Are we getting the commitments, but just from guys that are not developing as hoped? Something definitely feels different, but I'm not sure what it is. I know there are conversations around the B10 taking over, but schools like Denver have been consistently pulling in high end talent. Western has had a pretty nice run. SCSU and Duluth have certainly had strong teams (Duluth obviously with a down year, but they have some nice players coming in).

I miss the days of connections to strong programs where we would get a string of recruits that already played together and had chemistry. Shattuck was great to this program for a while. Then Penticton provided a nice string of players too. 

Great questions - I think this is why this board is harping on this issue - no one knows what happened or how.  We just are seeing the results.  When I look at our program and its positives I am shocked that we are where we are - fishing for a portal goalie for the third year and having no returning defensemen.  All while our rivals are grabbing blue chippers right and left.  We need to turn this around soon but we fans don't really know what happened and have no idea what the coaches think or plan to do.  If the theory that some of this is related to playing style is true then we'd best buckle up for a bumpy flight.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

To Big A HG's point, the Caulfield situation never should have been a situation.   Have talent in the pipeline where you tell Judd at the end of the year best of luck at the next level.  We shouldn't be in a situation where we need to bring anyone back for a 5th year.  How many 5th years did MN and UM have this season.  

LOL we understand the point. Most of us completely agree.

This is a discussion thread about the portal -- additions and subtractions. I'm just exhausted with conversation in EVERY thread devolving into everything all doom and gloom all the time. We picked up a good player today. That should be the discussion.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL we understand the point. Most of us completely agree.

This is a discussion thread about the portal -- additions and subtractions. I'm just exhausted with conversation in EVERY thread devolving into everything all doom and gloom all the time. We picked up a good player today. That should be the discussion.

A superhero movie without a bad guy would get boring pretty fast. :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Because we need to fill a need? Yes. What's the other option? Not have a good player playing there? Yes, Johannes is a good player.

What makes him a good player? 9 points in 44 games in the USHL, 32 points in 55 games in the NAHL,9 points in 29 games at AIC and then a good season 29 points in 28 games at Lindenwood (with 87 PIM). He does fill a need but the numbers don't scream good player.

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

To Big A HG's point, the Caulfield situation never should have been a situation.   Have talent in the pipeline where you tell Judd at the end of the year best of luck at the next level.  We shouldn't be in a situation where we need to bring anyone back for a 5th year.  How many 5th years did MN and UM have this season.  

It's not so easy to have a pipeline where everyone can be deferred if needed.  If guys are good enough to come in, they may leave if there's no room.  As for MI and MN, their devoid of fifth-year player rosters were beaten by a team with seven.  There's no one right way to win.  

One thing I haven't seen brought up is the possibility this is part of a plan.  If you're in a four-year window where older players from any team may be available to you, should you leave room to add guys that you may think can make the team better?  I haven't seen much of Berg besides the games at the end of the year, but he may have more of an impact than all but a handful of freshmen around the country.  Or a few handfuls. 

I know the comeback: how's the plan working?  Not well last year, check back in a year.

I just fundamentally disagree that the program is broken at all.  I really like last year's freshmen, and the pipeline looks like one that is going to produce some very exciting teams over the next few years.

7 hours ago, Big A HG said:

When we're excited about this acquisition as fans of the University of North Dakota hockey program, that tells you all you need to know about the state of our program right now.

That line of thinking doesn’t get Quinnipiac a National Championship over the golden chokers. The kiddie games are down the street….

I remember watching Johannes back at Eden Prairie and I really liked him then. Obviously really struggled in juniors for a while and then really in college before last year. Can't remember who he was originally committed to maybe CC? He moves pretty decent for his size and will definitely play with an edge.

• Like 2