SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

Listening to Schloss' podcast for this week.  They didn't spend too much time discussing practices and whatnot, but what he did say when asked about possible line combos from watching practice was all about how great Perron has looked.

"unbelievable"
"unpredictable and creative"
"instant impact player"

He said that Perron will be his vote for pre-season NCHC RoTY.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Got my tickets for the Manitoba exhibition game today.  Excited to see the team!

I'll be in town from AZ for "not fun" circumstances (my dad's burial service...he died last year, but the service is Oct 6), so my aunt (my dad's twin sister) and I decided to stay another couple days and go to the game as well.
It'll be my aunt's 2nd game that she's gone to since her college days at UND.  She met her first husband, Larry Dobson, at UND...he was a forward on the UND hockey team from 66-69.  I have worn #15 on almost all of my hockey teams because that was his # at UND as well.  :) 

Where was Larry from, brian?

Never mind, I see Flin Flon.  

1 hour ago, Nashvegas said:

Does anyone know when regional and frozen four tickets go on sale? 

End of October for Frozen 4 tickets for my priority points, I’m sure there are a bunch that can purchase sooner.

Middle of November for Regional tickets. We aren’t hosting this year, I believe UNO has the West in Sioux Falls this year.

• Upvote 1

Strinden wins the Annual Ironman competition:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/ben-strinden-wins-unds-iron-man-competition?fbclid=IwAR2kRis1eUe3Q3Vt-yKc3TAEhK8FMPLi7Uy5iHHBPGr7CyOOahbx5BFDh1w

Strinden, the winger from Fargo, won UND's annual Iron Man competition — an event that uses 12 tests to determine each player's level of fitness, agility and strength.

Freshman forward Jayden Perron finished second, followed by Jake Schmaltz, Dylan James and Louis Jamernik V.

James, a sophomore forward, led the competition going into the last event, but he was unable to participate in it.

"He got off to a good start," UND coach Brad Berry said. "He got hurt in the Hall of Fame Game in Las Vegas and was out of our lineup for a while recovering. He came back and it took him a little bit to get going again. In the second half, he got back to form. I know he's excited. He got a taste of what college hockey is about last year. He's stronger and faster. We're looking forward to big things from Ben."

Perron's strong performance in the Iron Man also raised eyebrows.

The 5-foot-9 freshman and Carolina Hurricanes draft pick is expected to make an immediate impact on the ice.

"We're seeing his off-the-ice and on-the-ice competitiveness — along with his quickness and strength," Berry said. "He's not the biggest guy, but he's very, very strong, very quick and very agile. He has high athleticism. That's what really showed in Iron Man."

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Asking a lot but it'd be cool to get the results for each year so you could compare performances across classes. Like how does Strinden stack up to Cole Smith? Or how does Perron stack up with Toews as a freshie? 

That would be a fascinating set of results to see. Question: have they always done/do they always do the same set of tests?

40 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I guess I'm always excited for whomever wins the Ironman, but there's something about Strinden that I really like. Hope he has a breakout year.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

That would be a fascinating set of results to see. Question: have they always done/do they always do the same set of tests?

I'm guessing some have changed as things have become more analytical over the years.  I am sure there are some base tests that have remained constant. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

Just got back from UND Boosters at Suite shots in Fargo and this question came up.

Berry said the events have been modified a little over the years to be hockey centric.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Kind of surprised that we are ranked that high by others considering we don't return any defensemen, but I guess if they can gel together, the talent is certainly there. 

I am guessing we were voted that high because our group of forwards in comparison to those ranked behind us, were just significantly better on paper than other forward groups, to the point that it outweighed the lack of returners on D. (Like Western lost their entire top line, SCSU lost some producers up front also.)

31 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

IMG_1523.jpeg

So UND got the most first place ballots but Denver had significantly more total points. I would guess Denver got mostly first and second place votes while UND was probably anywhere from first to fifth. 
Looks like Miami got all last place votes. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rochsioux said:

So UND got the most first place ballots but Denver had significantly more total points. I would guess Denver got mostly first and second place votes while UND was probably anywhere from first to fifth. 

Yeah I think opinions on UND are pretty mixed. But I’d say the same for most teams in our league considering the top 5 teams in the poll all had at least one first place vote. 

27 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah I think opinions on UND are pretty mixed. But I’d say the same for most teams in our league considering the top 5 teams in the poll all had at least one first place vote. 

Yeah for sure.  Five teams with at least one 1st place vote and UND leads the way with 12 but still finishes #2 in the poll.
I think it'd be hard to ignore the amount of forward talent on this UND team, and the pollsters agree...if the Dmen can gel early and Persson plays up to potential, this team has the skill on paper to compete for some trophies at the end of the season.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yeah for sure.  Five teams with at least one 1st place vote and UND leads the way with 12 but still finishes #2 in the poll.
I think it'd be hard to ignore the amount of forward talent on this UND team, and the pollsters agree...if the Dmen can gel early and Persson plays up to potential, this team has the skill on paper to compete for some trophies at the end of the season.

Last year some things went “off the rails” quickly and the team underachieved significantly. As you noted, hopefully the group gels and they get expected results. Last year they were so unlucky.

• Upvote 4