SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Fair to say if UND stays as the #1 or #2 overall with BC being 1 and Omaha doesn’t make the tourney, they’ll be in Sioux Falls?

Right. Omaha is the real wildcard. Where UND ends up will depend largely on whether UNO makes the tourney and if they do, what seed each team gets. 

I have to say, it’s good to be thinking of UND as a virtual lock for the NCAA tournament again. Not to take anything for granted though. As Caggiula was fond of saying, “Leave no doubt.” And just getting in isn’t the end goal. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedFrog said:

Thinking of the upcoming series at CC and think we are going to need to bring our best.  CC is playing well and is on the wrong side of the bubble.  This weekend should be a playoff style of game and I'm eager to see how the boys come out of the bye week.

Have to admit I miss Johannes in the lineup, even though everyone who has stepped in has played well.  I feel he is a heart-and-soul type of player for this team.

I think when he's playing disciplined hockey, he's very affective and creates space for his linemates.  

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I think when he's playing disciplined hockey, he's very affective and creates space for his linemates.  

And like a bunch of his teammates, the guy can shoot.   Not on a level with Gaber, Mac, or Blake, but pretty exceptional.  More shooters than we’ve had in a long time.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 1972 said:

i see that Ludvig wasnt one of the 10 finalist fore the Richter award...but Close was?  didnt think he looked that good in the games i had watched, but who knows

We could have scored 5 goals in that Saturday game against them if not for Close. He's been annoyingly good in the games I've watched him play. Scares me a bit, to be honest. 

On 2/12/2024 at 7:29 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

It's back. Clearly it's not working correctly though,  it has denver at 0.8% chance of winning the conference tournament and Omaha at 30%.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/probabilityMatrix.php

It's fixed now. Only Quinnipiac has a higher probability of winning their conference tournament than UND.

3 hours ago, burd said:

Two top NCHC COY candidates going at it this weekend. Be nice to see Brad get a little separation.

Berry and company have done an excellent job putting the team together this year and bringing us up multiple notches. But it's hard to see someone other than Mayotte winning coach of the year in our conference. He definitely deserves it with where that program was for 7-8 straight years. Major props to him

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/a-look-at-where-the-und-hockey-team-sits-in-the-ncaa-tournament-picture

College Hockey News' formula gives UND a 90% chance of holding a No. 1 seed, a 9.5% chance of being a No. 2 seed and less than a 1% chance to be a No. 3 seed.

I like those odds.  Keep it rolling.

According to the Probability Matrix, nine teams are 99% or higher to make the NCAA tournament — Boston College (100), North Dakota (100), Boston University (100), Wisconsin (100), Michigan State (100), Maine (99.9), Denver (99.8), Minnesota (99.7) and Quinnipiac (99).

ASU has a 2% chance of making it.
UNO has a 6% chance of making it, which would force UND to a different region other than SD if UND is still a #1.

1 hour ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Berry and company have done an excellent job putting the team together this year and bringing us up multiple notches. But it's hard to see someone other than Mayotte winning coach of the year in our conference. He definitely deserves it with where that program was for 7-8 straight years. Major props to him

In defense of Bubs (I think Mayotte will likely win it, and should), he turned around AN ENTIRE DCorps and added a new goaltender. That's a helluva recruiting and coaching job

• Upvote 3

Duncan getting One More Shift during the UMD series. Nice!

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2024/2/15/mens-hockey-ryan-duncan-to-be-honored-with-one-more-shift-against-minnesota-duluth.aspx

Former University of North Dakota standout and 2007 Hobey Baker Award winner Ryan Duncan will skate "One More Shift" with the current UND men's hockey team on Saturday, Feb. 24 against Minnesota Duluth at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

• Upvote 2