SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

5 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

I listed some tickets for resale and found this hilarious in my email.  Thought about taking down the listing after learning we are playing a women's team haha.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 194447.png

That's funny.

Is there a way to make it say "Minnesota University Gophers Womens Hockey..."?

UND has lined up non-conference games against St Thomas:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-lines-up-two-future-hockey-series-against-st-thomas

When Rico Blasi accepted the job as head men's hockey coach at St. Thomas, he had a bit of a surprise on his desk — a contract to play two future series against UND.

"We didn't even have a program yet and here we have two series lined up against North Dakota," Blasi said.

That contract has now been signed.

UND and St. Thomas are set to play a two-game series in Grand Forks during the 2025-26 season.

The Fighting Hawks will head to St. Paul, Minn., to play at the Tommies' new arena in 2026-27. The 4,000-seat venue is scheduled to open in the fall of 2025.

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, brianvf said:

Yeah for sure.  Five teams with at least one 1st place vote and UND leads the way with 12 but still finishes #2 in the poll.
I think it'd be hard to ignore the amount of forward talent on this UND team, and the pollsters agree...if the Dmen can gel early and Persson plays up to potential, this team has the skill on paper to compete for some trophies at the end of the season.

For defense it is going to depend on how long it takes for the defense to accept playing Sioux hockey defense.

5 hours ago, Esoteric said:

For defense it is going to depend on how long it takes for the defense to accept playing Sioux hockey defense.

I think it is widely acknowledged that the learning curve for defense at that level is longer than it is for forward.  In any system.   

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

What sin did you commit to receive such harsh penance? Or did you lose a bet? 

Lol! I lost a bet. It was either get a butterfly tattoo on my lower back or listen to these St. Cloud guys’ podcast….I think I should’ve gone with the tramp stamp…

• Like 2

7 hours ago, burd said:

I think it is widely acknowledged that the learning curve for defense at that level is longer than it is for forward.  In any system.   

I agree.  

The good news is that this coaching staff has a track record of turning out quality defensemen.  

Starting with Brad Berry’s Defensive skills that paid dividends in playing at Division 1 and NHL.  Add in Dane Jackson’s experience playing at Division 1 and NHL as a quality forward helps defensemen develop communication and execution in transition between forwards and defensemen.  

The same can be said about the outstanding skill and experience of goalie Karl Goehring helping the defensemen and goalies work constructively together.  

Then the brilliant move by Brad Berry and the rest of the coaching staff to invite a highly experienced professional and former Sioux player to join the coaching staff.  This should be a bonus to helping develop the defense. 

2 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

I agree.  

The good news is that this coaching staff has a track record of turning out quality defensemen.  

Starting with Brad Berry’s Defensive skills that paid dividends in playing at Division 1 and NHL.  Add in Dane Jackson’s experience playing at Division 1 and NHL as a quality forward helps defensemen develop communication and execution in transition between forwards and defensemen.  

The same can be said about the outstanding skill and experience of goalie Karl Goehring helping the defensemen and goalies work constructively together.  

Then the brilliant move by Brad Berry and the rest of the coaching staff to invite a highly experienced professional and former Sioux player to join the coaching staff.  This should be a bonus to helping develop the defense. 

Oops forgot to mention the exciting new coach is Defenseman Dillon Simpson.

20 minutes ago, Goon said:

They're unhappy about a preseason poll. It's meaningless. 

Did you see the Western Michigan player who did the Twitter/X takeover at media day yesterday? He was asked about the preseason poll and he said he was “kinda pissed off about it.” 

UNO and Western Michigan just seem to need some validation for whatever reason. 

On 9/12/2023 at 3:10 PM, sioux rube said:

IMG_1523.jpeg

Denver finally....and I mean finally, doesn't have a guy names Chrona in the net any more.  And according to my research they won't have any other Scandinavians in the net this season either.

I've got UND slotted in for a top three finish, but then again I did last year as well, and that wasn't the best prediction I've ever made.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Denver finally....and I mean finally, doesn't have a guy names Chrona in the net any more.  And according to my research they won't have any other Scandinavians in the net this season either.

I've got UND slotted in for a top three finish, but then again I did last year as well, and that wasn't the best prediction I've ever made.  

To be fair, most people missed on UND last year. I think we were pre-ranked nationally in the top 5. Duluth was pre-ranked really high too so people missed on them too. 

4 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Did you see the Western Michigan player who did the Twitter/X takeover at media day yesterday? He was asked about the preseason poll and he said he was “kinda pissed off about it.” 

UNO and Western Michigan just seem to need some validation for whatever reason. 

I was busy at the time it was going on. IMHO, the players have bigger concerns than a preseason poll. 

19 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

We don’t have any games with Lindenwood lined up right now so it’s not really possible to replace them. 

Last year we picked up those games after Cornell backed out of the series because they had a scheduling conflict.