SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

I think this is our final roster (as of 5/18/23)

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):

Forwards (15)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
So - Blake / James / McLaughlin / Strinden / Montgomery (RS)
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz / Berg
Sr - Gaber / Jamernik / Ness
Gr - Albrecht / Johannes

Defense (8)
Fr - Benoit / Komzak / Wiebe / Livanavage
So - Zmolek
Gr - Pyke / Pehrson / Britt

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

The addition of Britt helps balance out the classes a bit too...can start to bring in much smaller numbers for portal additions and bring in solid recruits to replace the players that run out of eligibility.  For next offseason, I could see just needing to replace the Graduate players listed above plus Gaber.  So three forwards and three dmen, which we already have in the recruiting pipeline, plus maybe a stud addition like Hensler.

I like the looks of this roster.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

So, with the experience coming in, we would all have to assume that the d zone play would have to be better next season correct?  Bringing in older and experienced guys, and a goalie that has been hung out to dry for three years in Miami.....has to be better right? 

Ludvig....82 Games

Britt....131 Games

Pyke....83 Games

Pehrson....127 Games

Zmolek....28 Games....

My Minot High School math tells me that is 451 games of experience coming on to the goal prevention side of things next season.  We give up 2-3 a game we should be fine, with the guys we have that should be putting the puck in the other net.  

UND allowed 2.8 goals per game last season, ranking 29th in the nation. And that was with an abysmal Team Save Percentage of .886 (tied with hockey powerhouse LIU!). 

Assuming a slight improvement in overall save percentage and assuming a slight improvement in overall defensive structure--that's more than a little assuming, I concede, but it's the offseason and hopium is on the menu--I think a top 15 defense is realistic. (At 2.5 goals allowed per game, UND would have been tied for 14th in the nation.)

It probably all comes down to the fishbowl though.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Last season D heights:  6-4, 6-2, 6-2, 5-10, 5-9, 5-9, 5-8, 5-8. (from UND roster)

Now it's 6-4, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2, 6-1, 6-1, 6-1, 5-10 (from Elite Prospects)

That list might relate to this list: 156, 157, 163, 165, 169, 170.

These are listed weights of the six lightest forwards: Owen Mac, Perron, Gaber, Blake, Montgomery, and Ness.

I wonder if the coaches think our smaller forwards might need some protection from bigger d-men.

14 minutes ago, Irish said:

So - Quinnipiac gets one of our former defensemen and we get one of theirs - opinions on how we came out in this swap?

QU got the better player overall most likely, but I'm guessing that Britt was brought in to fill a role.  And hopefully he does just that!

52 minutes ago, Irish said:

So - Quinnipiac gets one of our former defensemen and we get one of theirs - opinions on how we came out in this swap?

37 minutes ago, brianvf said:

QU got the better player overall most likely, but I'm guessing that Britt was brought in to fill a role.  And hopefully he does just that!

Totally different players. Moore is much better offensively and Britt much more defensively sound. Considering the rest of the d corps and where Britt likely slots in (bottom pair), Moore will likely have a bigger overall impact, but Britt is steadier in the spot we need him. 

Who needs to have the biggest off-season transition/impact? I’ll start. 

Zmolek opportunity window is all yours given fully recovered/healthy. Pedal to the metal off-season. 

- Kunz continue doing what he was doing on/off the ice during the 2nd half of last years season. Maybe try new diet to lean out a bit/sprints working with Poolman to continue to enhance speed. Luke Johnson changed his diet in pro, suggest Kunz doing the same to see if it helps/makes a difference. Kunz has skill. 

- McLaughlin strength and offseason shooting. No reason why this kid shouldn’t have double-digits in goals next year, let alone hitting that metric in 1st half of season. Kid set the rookie record for most pipes hit by a freshman 

- Johannes - go workout with Cole Smith in Brainerd Minnesota all offseason.  NCHC conference is much harder than the conferences you came from. I’d say your season depends on what you earn next year  Should have all the tools to make an impact. Get it done  

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

Forwards (15)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
Gr - Albrecht / Johannes

Defense (8)
So - Zmolek

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

I'll be SO happy when everyone is done with Covid years; it makes remaining eligibility miserable to track. 

Guys with one eligible season: Johannes, Pyke, Pehrson, Britt

Guys with two eligible seasons: Albrecht, Gaber, Jamernik, Ness, Persson, Schmaltz, Kunz, Berg

The listed sophs have 3 and the freshmen have 4. 

Albrecht is correct due to Covid and not getting into games one year (so didn't burn it). Montgomery didn't skate in 2022-23 so doesn't count so he has 3 like a soph. 

But I'm sure I still missed something. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Irish said:

Either Moore kills it and takes off with Q's system, or Pecknold kills the kid and he's in a suit for turning the puck over. 

42 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Either Moore kills it and takes off with Q's system, or Pecknold kills the kid and he's in a suit for turning the puck over. 

Peck doesn't seem the patient type: You execute effectively in his system or you accumulate Halberstadt's rewards points*. 

*Maybe Brent Johnson should've cut an NIL deal with them last season. He modeled their stuff all year. ;)  

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'll be SO happy when everyone is done with Covid years; it makes remaining eligibility miserable to track. 

Guys with one eligible season: Johannes, Pyke, Pehrson, Britt

Guys with two eligible seasons: Albrecht, Gaber, Jamernik, Ness, Persson, Schmaltz, Kunz, Berg

The listed sophs have 3 and the freshmen have 4. 

Albrecht is correct due to Covid and not getting into games one year (so didn't burn it). Montgomery didn't skate in 2022-23 so doesn't count so he has 3 like a soph. 

But I'm sure I still missed something. 

This.....disruptive is an understatement.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brianvf said:

I think this is our final roster (as of 5/18/23)

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):

Forwards (15)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
Gr - Albrecht / Johannes

Defense (8)
So - Zmolek

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

The addition of Britt helps balance out the classes a bit too...can start to bring in much smaller numbers for portal additions and bring in solid recruits to replace the players that run out of eligibility.  For next offseason, I could see just needing to replace the Graduate players listed above plus Gaber.  So three forwards and three dmen, which we already have in the recruiting pipeline, plus maybe a stud addition like Hensler.

I like the looks of this roster.

This looks like a fun year.

On 5/18/2023 at 4:27 PM, Wilbur said:

So, with the experience coming in, we would all have to assume that the d zone play would have to be better next season correct?  Bringing in older and experienced guys, and a goalie that has been hung out to dry for three years in Miami.....has to be better right? 

Ludvig....82 Games

Britt....131 Games

Pyke....83 Games

Pehrson....127 Games

Zmolek....28 Games....

My Minot High School math tells me that is 451 games of experience coming on to the goal prevention side of things next season.  We give up 2-3 a game we should be fine, with the guys we have that should be putting the puck in the other net.  

Not necessarily. Remember, according to many on this forum for the '22-'23 season,  "we have the best d core in the country...".....things better get straight from get go or the already questions out there on what the hell is going on with UND's d-core/coaching , will go further under the microscope. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

...  "we have the best d core in the country..."...

Guilty as charged. :(

The prior irrational exuberance has been noted and tamped down for this year. 

This year consider me from "Missurah" -> Show Me. 

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It is ok Young Grasshopper, opinions and views make the engine on this  forum run!! :wink:

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Me three.  I can't believe that with the guys that we had back it was so sketchy.....Frisch, Kleven, Jandric, Moore, Farmer, Sidorski....DeRidder plenty of experience......

I'm anxious to see how the new Swede will do with a better team in front of him.  I hope he isn't one of those goalies that needs a ton of shots to be really really good, and when he only faces 16-20 he's average.....

On 5/19/2023 at 12:53 PM, Wilbur said:

I still can't quite understand how with the crapshow our defense was last year that the 3 players we lost in the portal went to National Champion Quinnipiac, Minnesota Duluth, and Ohio State.  What am I missing?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I hope he isn't one of those goalies that needs a ton of shots to be really really good, and when he only faces 16-20 he's average.....  

I worried exactly that about DeRidder. ( @stoneySIOUX can attest.) 
He was seeing about 35 shots at MSU.
UND goalies tend to only see 25. 

1 minute ago, Irish said:

I still can't quite understand how with the crapshow our defense was last year that the 3 players we lost in the portal went to National Champion Quinnipiac, Minnesota Duluth, and Ohio State.  What am I missing?

1. Q bled numbers at D nearly as bad as UND; and he's moving home to CT (probably a cheap* get). 
2. UMD had issues on the back end last year too.
3. And he just may be a better fit in the OSU system (more down the middle; less along the wall). 

And given what's coming in, those guys are now small, even compared to the freshmen (save for Livanavage). 
Methinks part of the defensive overhaul was to bulk up yet stay mobile. 

*Never forgot about scholarships and dollars. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

All three have incredible upside offensively, but haven't shown enough steadiness defensively. Picking upside out of the portal is smart to do, especially if they feel like they have enough defense to cover the risk. Low risk, high reward. Particularly with guys like Moore and Johnson.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

All three have incredible upside offensively, but haven't shown enough steadiness defensively. Picking upside out of the portal is smart to do, especially if they feel like they have enough defense to cover the risk. Low risk, high reward. Particularly with guys like Moore and Johnson.

I would add that Moore was very good the previous year, and wasn't as bad this year as some would have you believe--he became the scapegoat for everyone, despite the fact that forwards also need to defend, and goalies need to make routine stops. Moore is very good at breaking out the puck and very good offensively. Johnson is also very talented, especially offensively, but ended up in the coaches' doghouse for reasons that are not entirely clear. I like Bast, but I don't view him as a big loss. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I would add that Moore was very good the previous year, and wasn't as bad this year as some would have you believe--he became the scapegoat for everyone, despite the fact that forwards also need to defend, and goalies need to make routine stops. Moore is very good at breaking out the puck and very good offensively. Johnson is also very talented, especially offensively, but ended up in the coaches' doghouse for reasons that are not entirely clear. I like Bast, but I don't view him as a big loss. 

I mean, I think the reasons for Johnson being in the doghouse were very clear lol. He just wasn't a player who just ever really picked up his defensive side as quickly as needed. I think Moore had a good sophomore year, but I never saw him as anything but an average defender at best. He wasn't the god-awful player people were making him out to be this season, however. Totally agree he was scapegoated. 

Frankly, with whom we picked up, all four may be (in my opinion) better players than Bast and that's not even a knock on Bast. Three of them definitely are. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Me three.  I can't believe that with the guys that we had back it was so sketchy.....Frisch, Kleven, Jandric, Moore, Farmer, Sidorski....DeRidder plenty of experience......

I'm anxious to see how the new Swede will do with a better team in front of him.  I hope he isn't one of those goalies that needs a ton of shots to be really really good, and when he only faces 16-20 he's average.....

Wasn't great to start the year. Frisch and Kleven were solid most of season. Jandric's improvement on D from the previous season was great. Once we got Sidorski in the lineup that helped. Farmer was less than advertised but not terrible and Moore was messy quite a bit. That said, an overhead picture of our goals given up early in the year would show 3 forwards above the dots or trailing a guy into a scoring area. That also improved as season went on.

• Upvote 2