SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Roster

rochsioux

As for Dagies original question, I would agree that the decision making was not an individual matter, but likely left to a fairly decent size group of USA hockey higher-ups.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I recall from my conversation with Jim Johannson, senior director of hockey operations for USA Hockey, when he was in Grand Forks about a month ago, that is correct.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few of you have been critical of a certain gopher poster based on his opinion WJ roster. I also noticed that VERY few of you engaged him directly about that opninion. Kudos to those of you that did.

It is disengenuous for many of you to think that the Lee selection shouldn't be debated. Especially when it is most surprising compared to Jack Johnson ( a Michigan recruit ). If you want to question the two Gophers selected, thats fine, but many of you have seen them at least at the REA against your squad. They have performed at the WCHA level whereas Lee hasn't. Obviously he hasn't had the chance yet and he will very likely be up to the challenge but it still doesn't change the fact that choices were available that are more experienced against higher levels of competition.

For the poster that said the following:

"17 year olds don't seem to impact at this tourney, but Lee will be better then Hagemo, Borer and Goligoski. Wait until the tourney is over and we will all see."

It is such a shame that the talent pool is so shallow in the college game. Too bad the USA squad had to to fill out their roster with the likes of "Hagemo, Borer and Goligoski"

There certainly is some hopeful posters out here re: Lee and his possible impact and I too am hopeful, though I temper it with reality.

Which leads me to wonder what your predictions are for this US team.

I have little info about the Euros/Russkies, but it appears Canada looks very strong and so I'd do some basic math to suggest that we would be happy to take home a medal from these games.

Is that a fair analysis?

I know Lee wasn't at the evaluation camp, but Johnson was, and to tell you the truth I wasn't all that impressed with him in the games I watched him. My friend, who has coached a lot of WCHA players wasn't much impressed with him either. Not saying he isn't a good player, but they got to evaluate him a lot that week. Perhaps they thought that it was worth it to give a very talented player a chance to show his skills at the next level.

Quite a few of you have been critical of a certain gopher poster based on his opinion WJ roster.  I also noticed that VERY few of you engaged him directly about that opninion.  Kudos to those of you that did. 

Nah, hes too good of an arguer. ;)

Really? Thats too bad because a post like the following is well crafted and presents some first-hand information.

"I know Lee wasn't at the evaluation camp, but Johnson was, and to tell you the truth I wasn't all that impressed with him in the games I watched him. My friend, who has coached a lot of WCHA players wasn't much impressed with him either. Not saying he isn't a good player, but they got to evaluate him a lot that week. Perhaps they thought that it was worth it to give a very talented player a chance to show his skills at the next level."

Listen up. I agree that size and age are NOT the only factors used in picking players for teams such as these in international competition. Understand? I am sure the powers that be look at all the usual qualities in a player: hockey sense, skating, shooting, passing, yada, yada, yada. Sometimes they might even play a hunch. My point, for those of you who failed to grasp it, is that Lee is an unkown quantity AT THIS LEVEL......emphasis on the AT THIS LEVEL part. Got it? Thus, USA appears to be engaging in a bit of a gambit here. Time will soon solve the eternal mystery.

Remember, the whole point of this tournament is to win it, is it not?

In my posts I have stated that as a general rule 19 year olds dominate this tournament. If you have historical evidence to the contrary please offer it up. However, as with every rule there are exceptions. Hence, some of the examples which have been posted here. Just remember, those are the exceptions and NOT the rule.

Finally, I would be interested in knowing your responses to the following proposition: Isn't it somewhat inconsistent to argue that Zajac deserves to be on Team Canada solely because he was a first rounder.....and then in the next breath delight in the fact that Brian Lee was chosen ahead of Jack Johnson who, according the latest Hockey News, is at this point in time projected to go # 2 behind Sidney Crosby in next year's draft?

Or, is it better policy to see how a player is performing this season rather than look solely at draft status?

Not to bag on Sandy too much, but this has to be one of the worst sentences ever (answering question on last year vs. this year):

"Well, I mean obviously, I think, like I said earlier, I mean, I think this team is going to, you know, is going to have its own identity and I think, you know, last year

Not to bag on Sandy too much, but this has to be one of the worst sentences ever (answering question on last year vs. this year):

"Well, I mean obviously, I think, like I said earlier, I mean, I think this team is going to, you know, is going to have its own identity and I think, you know, last year

Listen up.  I agree that size and age are NOT the only factors used in picking players for teams such as these in international competition.  Understand?  I am sure the powers that be look at all the usual qualities in a player:  hockey sense,  skating, shooting, passing, yada, yada, yada.  Sometimes they might even play a hunch.  My point, for those of you who failed to grasp it, is that Lee is an unkown quantity  AT THIS LEVEL......emphasis on the AT THIS LEVEL  part.  Got it?  Thus, USA appears to be engaging in a bit of a gambit here.  Time will soon solve the eternal mystery.

Remember,  the whole point of this tournament is to win it,  is it not?

In my posts I have stated that as a general rule 19 year olds dominate this tournament.  If you have historical evidence to the contrary please offer it up.  However, as with every rule there are exceptions.  Hence, some of the examples which have been posted here.  Just remember, those are the exceptions and NOT the rule.

Finally, I would be interested  in knowing your responses to the following proposition:  Isn't it somewhat inconsistent to argue that Zajac deserves to be on Team Canada solely because he was a first rounder.....and then in the next breath delight in the fact that Brian Lee was chosen ahead of  Jack Johnson who, according the latest Hockey News, is at this point in time projected to go # 2 behind Sidney Crosby in next year's draft?

Or, is it better policy to see how a player is performing this  season rather than look solely at draft status?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand your point, the problem with your posts is that you continue to use: Listen up, got it, children, Einstein....just post your information and keep it to the point. There are posters on here that know what they're talking about, and you may or may not be one of them...and if you post, expect to take some criticism instead of thinking your opinion is as holy as "Hammys".

• 4 weeks later...

#1HakFan, Sorry to bring it back up but YOU did say it after all...

"Wow listen to all you experts. Before the season started, if Goligoski would have been named to the team, all you experts would be cutting him down.

Brian Lee is said to be one of the BEST 17 year olds in the world and after he adjusts to the speed he will be one of USA's top 5 Dmen. He will win mr. Hockey and lead his team to a state championship and be a first or second round draft pick this summer. He is probably one of the few right handed Dmen which helps him and he has dominated at the world level at his age group every tourney he has been in. That doesn't mean he lead USA anywhere. They will be luckey to play in a medal game because Canada, Russian and Finland are so stacked, but Montoya could carry us alone.

17 year olds don't seem to impact at this tourney, but Lee will be better then Hagemo, Borer and Goligoski. Wait until the tourney is over and we will all see.

I guess we have seen except for one final game and btw how did that Montoya carrying USA work out? Hmmm, maybe their was some expertise by the so called experts afterall.

#1HakFan,  Sorry to bring it back up but YOU did say it after all...

"Wow listen to all you experts. Before the season started, if Goligoski would have been named to the team, all you experts would be cutting him down.

Brian Lee is said to be one of the BEST 17 year olds in the world and after he adjusts to the speed he will be one of USA's top 5 Dmen. He will win mr. Hockey and lead his team to a state championship and be a first or second round draft pick this summer. He is probably one of the few right handed Dmen which helps him and he has dominated at the world level at his age group every tourney he has been in. That doesn't mean he lead USA anywhere. They will be luckey to play in a medal game because Canada, Russian and Finland are so stacked, but Montoya could carry us alone.

17 year olds don't seem to impact at this tourney, but Lee will be better then Hagemo, Borer and Goligoski. Wait until the tourney is over and we will all see.

I guess we have seen except for one final game and btw how did that Montoya carrying USA work out?  Hmmm, maybe their was some expertise by the so called experts afterall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you expect to accomplish by this post?

Everyone starting a Praised be Hegemo/Goligoski Thread? Do we really need your approval if a bunch of us Sioux fans are excited and honored to have our defensive recruit named to the team over some other players who may have deserved it just the same but didn't have as great of a camp as Lee did?

THe answer to the approval question is NO. Besides, the tourney is all but done now. Brian did the best he could and was just a little shocked and awed to be there. He really did ok for what little time he saw against Sweden.

Even if he didn't crack the top 5 this year, there is still next year. Yeah, so sad for AJ Thelen but Jack Johnson can still make the team and he probably will. Maybe he'll even share the same defensive pairing as Lee.

I'm happy Lee got the opportunity he did. I'm still not convinced that Lee was undeserving. Good work Brian and now that you have experience, best of luck with the rest of the season and good luck next year!

#1HakFan,  Sorry to bring it back up but YOU did say it after all...

I guess we have seen except for one final game and btw how did that Montoya carrying USA work out?  Hmmm, maybe their was some expertise by the so called experts afterall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe portions of the post were exagerations or high expectations; however; you can't convince me that Goligoski looked better than Lee. Goligoskis errors in judgement contributed to an opposition goal in each and every game. And how old is he again and exactly where is he playing.

What did I expect to accomplish with the post? Nothing more than pointing out that it was foolish to say the things that this particular poster said about Lee being better than Hagemo, Goligoski, and Borer by the end of the tournament. Tell me you don't think that some of what he said looks pretty silly after the fact?

Why would their need to be any props given to Goligoski or Hagemo? Check back at what I posted. I never said one player deserved a roster spot over another but I did post on POI that it was surprising that Lee was picked over Jack Johnson and that Sioux fans would be pleased with the selection. Hammy claimed it was a sham and while that is a statment that shows his bias towards the UofM, there was legitimacy in questioning the selection. Blame him for lack of tact about how he stated it and many of you did but you only chose to see his bias and not that he had a good reason for saying what he said.

Not everything has to be about yours or my rooting interest vs whatever the other guys rooting interest is. In this case the reality of making the jump from Minnesota high school hockey with limited international experience to world class under 20 competition turned out to be more than than Lee could handle (for that matter Goligoski had difficulty with this as well). This is what the so called experts were questioning and frankly, they were (gasp) right.

Forgive me, but I'd rate every American defenseman as no better than "average" as compared to the tournament pool at large.

The Canadian defencemen (note the Canadian spelling) are all playing at least average and some are playing exceptionally well. The Russians are in a similar situation. That's how you win medals.

Forgive me, but I'd rate every American defenseman as no better than "average" as compared to the tournament pool at large.

The Canadian defencemen (note the Canadian spelling) are all playing at least average and some are playing exceptionally well. The Russians are in a similar situation. That's how you win medals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Defense? What's that? :silly:;)

I agree that the US d-men, on the whole, were barely adequate, to put it mildly. Then again, when the team refuses to keep possession of the puck, it probably doesn't make much of a difference. :D

The US team has disappointed a little, but the strength of this field is very strong. If the US does indeed manage to beat the Czechs this time around, it will have to be considered a decent showing for them. I personally felt at the beginning that nothing less than a silver to Canada would be a good effort, but after seeing the Russians play I don't think they lost due to lack of effort. They were certainly in the semi-final until midway through the third period.

A couple of things that stood out to me is that the US did in fact have three returning defensemen and a returning goalie. The clearly should have performed more consistantly defensively.

Goligoski has been lugging the puck out of the zone all year for the Gophers and he didn't seem to adjust to the competition level and make his decisions earlier and get rid of the puck on time. This led to his making bad passes and turnovers, which is something I have rarely seen from him during WCHA play.

Suter was fantastic in the '04 WJC and the WCHA last year as a focussed stay at home defensemen. By expanding his offensive role, he seems to have been caught up ice more this tourney than anytime I saw him last year.

Hagemo and Lee will likely return for next years team and should see expanded roles.

The US team has disappointed a little, but the strength of this field is very strong.  If the US does indeed manage to beat the Czechs this time around, it will have to be considered a decent showing for them.  I personally felt at the beginning that nothing less than a silver to Canada would be a good effort, but after seeing the Russians play I don't think they lost due to lack of effort.  They were certainly in the semi-final until midway through the third period.

A couple of things that stood out to me is that the US did in fact have three returning defensemen and a returning goalie.  The clearly should have performed more consistantly defensively. 

Goligoski has been lugging the puck out of the zone all year for the Gophers and he didn't seem to adjust to the competition level and make his decisions earlier and get rid of the puck on time.  This led to his making bad passes and turnovers, which is something I have rarely seen from him during WCHA play.

Suter was fantastic in the '04 WJC and the WCHA last year as a focussed stay at home defensemen.  By expanding his offensive role, he seems to have been caught up ice more this tourney than anytime I saw him last year.

Hagemo and Lee will likely return for next years team and should see expanded roles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well put again, sagard.

5 hole- Then you should put your bias aside and place credence in the fact that the experts that mattered were behind the bench. Whether your experts were right or not doesn't matter because Sandelin and crew selected Lee. No amount of Hammy's ranting or experts theoritizing is going to change that decision.

Next year the US will return Hagemo, Lee, Schneider, and Kessel at least. They will add, I'm sure, Johnson. I'm not sure who else on the current team is young enough to play next year, but I think we'll do ok next year. Especially because Bergeron, Ovechkin, and Malkin will be too old for the tourney :silly:

Next year the US will return Hagemo, Lee, Schneider, and Kessel at least.  They will add, I'm sure, Johnson.  I'm not sure who else on the current team is young enough to play next year, but I think we'll do ok next year.  Especially because Bergeron, Ovechkin, and Malkin will be too old for the tourney :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's hope their is an NHL next year to take away some of the Canadians and Russians. It was great to see the best of every country, but certainly not the norm.

Redwing77,

What did you read in my last couple of posts? You mistake me for the one saying that the selection of Lee was incorrect. Put aside my bias? thats what I was saying in the last paragaph of my previous post. My experts? Huh? You don't see that I sacastically refer to them as "so called."

Redwing, I don't no how much simplier I can put it other than that you and I are not the ones in disagreement here. I was trying to point out and maybe even get a reponse from #1Hakfan on his/her over the top assesment of Lee. Seems I didn't do a very good job of that.