SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Roster

rochsioux

Oh gawwwd. Here we go again. :silly:

So let me get this straight (again). It's the biggest event in the biggest sport (in Canada). Canada, which takes more pride in its hockey than anything else, is hellbent on avenging its gold medal loss one year ago.

Yet Hockey Canada is intentionally icing less-than-their-best to prove some sort of political "junior vs. U.S. college" principle?

Someone hold my hair while I puke.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Canuck, save your puke for the Gophers. The opinion above is just one.

Nobody seriously doubts that the best Canadian talent plays major junior. But the idea that none of the best Canadian talent doesn't play major junior also stretches credibility.

The most likely explanation is that the lack of NHL play means another 3-6 (?)players will be available to wear the Maple Leaf, squeezing out the competition for everyone else.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a follow up to my first response, I thought I'd provide some facts before this "Canadian conspiracy against U.S. collegians" gets out of hand again. Please note, that I first posted these numbers last Jan. 5 (after the World Jr. tournament) when Sioux fans were insisting there was a Canadian bias against college players. I must say, as far as conspiracies go, this is quite unimpressive:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind that six of the players you mentioned took up 13 of the 40 slots. That leaves roughly 33 players qualifying over 22 years.

You have to admit that whether or not there is bias, it is a lot tougher to make the Canadian U-20 team if you choose to go the NCAA route. It stands to reason that if two players were even during tryouts, you would lean towards choosing players you know from the MJ leagues.

The same thing could easily (and may have happened in reverse with the US) with an American playing MJ hockey.

Some big surprises here, most notably:

Made team: Brian Lee, Casey Borer, Kevin Porter, and the biggest surprise - Mike Brown, his stats so far this season - 2 goals 0 assists in 15 games - WTF was Sandy thinking there?

Didn't make it: J. Johnson, Thelen and the biggest surprise - Robbie Earl.  I hate him as much as anyone else, but the kid can play his stats are 9 goals 12 assists in 16 games.  How Brown and his 2 points gets in over Earl and his 21 is beyond me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No doubt some suprises, but...

At the development camp at the Ralph earlier this year, I thought Brown was one of the best players on the ice. I had never heard of the guy, but he stood out just as much as Stafford, Hensick, Pineault (sp?) and O'Sullivan.

P.S. I am glad Earl didn't make the team, even though, "all he does is score goals". :silly::lol:

No doubt some suprises, but...

At the development camp at the Ralph earlier this year, I thought Brown was one of the best players on the ice.  I had never heard of the guy, but he stood out just as much as Stafford, Hensick, Pineault (sp?) and O'Sullivan.

P.S.  I am glad Earl didn't make the team, even though, "all he does is score goals". :silly:  :lol:

I agree, but Earl was clearly one of the best players at the camp also. Although I can see him being left off for his attitude. But a few good days in the summer doesn't make up for a very poor 1/2 season IMO.

About the Canadians, I've heard a lot of whining about them overlooking such a high first round pick in Zajac. Look at the #5 pick from last years draft. He will be sitting in Green Bay watching the games on TV :lol:

Seriously the Canadians had only a few spots to fill, most of their team is coming back. They are very deep at forward, this will probably be one their best teams ever.

Zajac was really the only college player that had the ability to be a serious contender. It sounds like he was considered, but it's not like the guys picked in front of him are pee-wee B players.

Shocking that gopher hammy is throwing s***fits (on uscho) over Lee making the team, while totally agreeing that Earl should not have, while being all over the good reasons for Hagemo and Golig..... however it's spelled :silly:  were selected.

Looked at the uscho thread fully expecting to see it, and, there it is. Hammy is unbelievably predictable when it comes to anything connected with Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Hammy has much credibility beyond the POI borders because his objectivity is suspect. I agree views are slanted somewhat depending on your favorite team, but he is overboard. Sagard on the other hand has a lot of credibility in my book, he tells it like it is without trying to flame when the facts are positive towards his gophers.

i attended the Tryout Camp up at Engelstad in August and I was just wonedering why Brian Lee didn't participate in it. I also think it is outrageous that a player with the talent level of Robbie Earl didn't make the team this year. This may sound biased coming from a Michigan resident but I thought AJ Thelen was one of the top 3 defenseman at that tournament including the Swedish and Finnish teams. Maybe there are some things going on that I'm unaware of but until then I'll still have some questions for Sandelin if I ever run across him.

Wow, a flurry of resentment regarding an honest question.

I wasn't really paying much attention to the bias thing the last time around because I don't recall it at all.

What I thought as an honest question must have been taken in poor taste. My apologies.

The resentment wasn't personal; it was a result of hearing this "theory" ad nauseum for the past two years.

Nobody seriously doubts that the best Canadian talent plays major junior. But the idea that none of the best Canadian talent doesn't play major junior also stretches credibility.

Actually, I never implied the latter. Just gets old hearing the paranoia of Sioux fans coming up with laughable reasons why their players are "overlooked." Hey, I'm as big a Sioux fan as anybody, but God forbid there are sometimes better players available.

Earl seems to have the talent, but their must be something we are missing.  We know he  was quite cocky about last year.  We also see him do a lot of provoking and diving on the ice.  I'm sure Sandelin talked to people about him.

So my biggest question is...

Is he a me guy or team guy? 

I don't see UW a lot and we don't hear much about their team politics/turmoil if there is any.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he is a punk but thats from a Sioux fan perspective.

As far as the World Jr. Team goes.....Congrats to all the players that made the team. As someone stated earlier there are always good players left off teams. However, it doesn't seem that everyone here is up in arms about the team selected. This team is what Sandelin wanted and this is what we will see defend the gold. As far as the people complaining about who got picked and who didn't they need to remember what Herb Brooks did in 1980. I'm sure people questioned him and look what happened. All I can is Go USA. Except when they play UND then it's Go Sioux

i attended the Tryout Camp up at Engelstad in August and I was just wonedering why Brian Lee didn't participate in it.  I also think it is outrageous that a player with the talent level of Robbie Earl didn't make the team this year.  This may sound biased coming from a Michigan resident but I thought AJ Thelen was one of the top 3 defenseman at that tournament including the Swedish and Finnish teams.  Maybe there are some things going on that I'm unaware of but until then I'll still have some questions for Sandelin if I ever run across him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brian didn't participate because, at the time, I believe he was still out due to a knee injury.

As for AJ, he is probably the biggest surprises of those who didn't make it followed closely by Earl. You don't make All American as a freshman and not get serious consideration. Zach Parise made it as an example.

If Team USA does not win a medal it will not be because of the coaches; it will be because of a general lack of American talent.

Do any of you, besides Canuck, have even the slightest idea as to how talented and deep the Canuck roster is this year? For those of you who argue that there is a bias, you are correct. There is a bias toward TALENTED players. They are looking to win this year. They don't care what league the player is currently playing in or what part of Canada they are from, they assembled the best possible team and let me tell you it IT IS IMPRESSIVE.

Americans will be lucky to get a medal.

The main reason that Earl isn't on the team is because he is a prick and has a terrible additude. I applaud the coaches for not selecting him and worrying more about putting a team together. Collecting all of the best talent doesn't mean you have the best team.

As far as Lee goes I am a bit puzzled, but clearly the kid is extremely gifted to even be mentioned. I am guessing USA hockey also has big plan for the kid in the future and want to get him some big time experience. Sioux fans should feel great about this kid coming to town next year.

Shocking that gopher hammy is throwing s***fits (on uscho) over Lee making the team, while totally agreeing that Earl should not have, while being all over the good reasons for Hagemo and Golig..... however it's spelled :silly:
Edited by Goon

Some of those complaining were the same that complained how watered down MN HS hockey was getting with all the players going to the USHL. Now because of the elite league very few players leave. So these people now complain Lee shouldn't make the team because he plays lowly HS hockey and hasn't faced any competition this year :silly:

I have seen all of these kids play and from what I've seen Johnson is probably the best all around D-man. But he doesn't have the offensive or skating skills Lee has. Personally I was more surprised Borer from St. Cloud made it.

Edit - Oops I must have cokeheads on my brain. :lol:

Personally I was more surprised Conroy from St. Cloud made it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who? :silly:

As for Hammy, ignore features were installed with posters like him in mind. Sioux fans shouldn't sweat his arrogance, it isn't worth it.

He is the type of poster that when Lee leads UND to another championship down the road will say that UND wouldn't have won it all without that very talented defenseman from the State of Minnesota!

"Brian is one of the brightest young players in the country," said U.S. coach Scott Sandelin.
"He does a lot of good things," Sandelin said. "He has good size, he can move, he moves the puck. There are just a lot of good things there."

These are some of Sandelin's comments from the Forum article. I trust the officials of USA hockey share his view regarding BL.

I will take their word for it over some Gopher fan portraying himself as know-it-all.