SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Roster

rochsioux

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned the difficulty of Sandelin's job, but I don't think there can be a tougher job this winter (except for the poor buggers who have to stand in the REA parking lot directing traffic pre-game in soon-to-be 30 below windchills) than the Canadian coach.

That team has some highly, highly rated players on it. If they don't win do they force him to move to America?

:silly:

Some people need to seriously review Zajac's play as a Sioux b/4 suggesting any bias against him on the Canadian staff. He's been a good Sioux player though not great. However, I hate to say this, but if he were American, I think a case could be made that he's been better than Stafford and perhaps should have made the US team.

Just my thoughts.

Shep,

I find it ironic that some on this board complain about a perceived "bias" against college players by the Canadian Powers That Be. The facts show that 21 of the 32 players invited to the final Canuck evaluation camp are from the WHL. I don't see many Canadian fans complaining. They just want the best possible players out there. This season the west is the best.

Finally, unless your name is Gretzky, Lemieux or Lindros you have little business being named to these squads as a 17 year old. Traditionally, 19 year olds dominate this tournament. Brian Lee is going to experience a baptism by fire---if he sees any ice time. Oh yeah, it might be good for the kid, his family and friends and for the school which recruited him, but don't expect him to have any positive impact on the games.

Shep,

I find it ironic that some on this board complain about a perceived "bias"  against college players by the Canadian Powers That Be.  The facts show that 21 of the 32 players invited to the final Canuck evaluation camp are from the WHL.  I don't see many Canadian fans complaining.  They just want the best possible players out there.  This season the west is the best.

Finally, unless your name is Gretzky, Lemieux or Lindros you have little business being named to these squads as a 17 year old.  Traditionally, 19 year olds dominate this tournament.  Brian Lee is going to experience a baptism by fire---if he sees any ice time.  Oh yeah, it might be good for the kid, his family and friends and for the school which recruited him, but don't expect him to have any positive impact on the games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't size the reason why we were told not to expect that much out of a certain winger last year? I'm sorry, I don't buy into that reasoning. If that was the case, then the same rationale could be used in the NHL regarding age. Nash, Bergeron, and Kovalchuk shouldn't have made the NHL when they did. Obviously, there are people out there who disagree with that assessment and they happen to be in positions to disregard the age issue.

DamStrait,

What is the point in picking Lee if he is never ging to see the ice? Merely practicing with these guys for a couple of weeks is not going to have any significant impact on his development. Does his ego need a little stroking?

At his age you want the guy to PLAY in game situations. If your gonna pick him you had better play him.

The USA hockey talent pool is rather shallow if we have to rely on 17 year old defensemen to shut down 19 years old forwards who are very close to making it in the NHL.

Lotsa luck, USA.

DamStrait,

What is the point in picking Lee if he is never ging to see the ice?  Merely practicing with these guys for a couple of weeks is not going to have any significant impact on his development.  Does his ego need a little stroking?

At his age you want the guy to PLAY in game situations.  If your gonna pick him you had better play him.

The USA hockey talent pool is rather shallow if we have to rely on 17 year old defensemen to shut down 19 years old forwards who are  very close to making it in the NHL.

Lotsa luck, USA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be surprised if Lee does not see ice time. He was more highly regarded than Goligoski from Grand Rapids last year, who is only one year older after successfully moving from high school to college. Goligoski is doing just fine, is on the USA roster, and is arguably UM's best defenseman. Don't let his age dissuade you--Brian Lee can play. It is also presumptious to say that he will be playing against 19 year old forwards who are close to making it in the NHL. There are a few, but very few who fit in that category. Most NHL rosters are not filled with 19 year olds, let alone 20 or 21 year olds.

We're not talking about last year, Einstein.

You children will find out in a few weeks what's up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was proving point, that if you have skill, age doesn't matter. ;)

Lee and Kessel (he is also young, so he must not be good) may not see any ice time. On the other hand, they may play every 2nd or 3rd shift. I guess us children will find out in a couple of weeks. :silly:

DamStrait,

What is the point in picking Lee if he is never ging to see the ice?  Merely practicing with these guys for a couple of weeks is not going to have any significant impact on his development.  Does his ego need a little stroking?

At his age you want the guy to PLAY in game situations.  If your gonna pick him you had better play him.

The USA hockey talent pool is rather shallow if we have to rely on 17 year old defensemen to shut down 19 years old forwards who are  very close to making it in the NHL.

Lotsa luck, USA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be shocked if Lee doesn't play alot. If I were coaching I'd probably play Suter and Likens every game and rotate out the others for freshness.

I also don't like to think of the US talent pool is so shallow that it needs a 17 year old to fill the roster. I like to think that the 17 year old must be something extraordinary.

We will see soon enough. Anything lower than a second place finish to Canada will be a disappointment in my book.

No need to apologize.  I am not selling anything;  merely stating my opinion.

BTW,  what "certain winger"  are you speaking of?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zach Parise was the winger. They said that his size outweighed his talent and he ended up with tourney MVP.

OH, and if you want to throw a fit about youth in the world juniors, we must laugh at Canada. They added Sydney Crosby to the roster last year. No wonder why they only were able to win silver.

Wow listen to all you experts. Before the season started, if Goligoski would have been named to the team, all you experts would be cutting him down.

Brian Lee is said to be one of the BEST 17 year olds in the world and after he adjusts to the speed he will be one of USA's top 5 Dmen. He will win mr. Hockey and lead his team to a state championship and be a first or second round draft pick this summer. He is probably one of the few right handed Dmen which helps him and he has dominated at the world level at his age group every tourney he has been in. That doesn't mean he lead USA anywhere. They will be luckey to play in a medal game because Canada, Russian and Finland are so stacked, but Montoya could carry us alone.

17 year olds don't seem to impact at this tourney, but Lee will be better then Hagemo, Borer and Goligoski. Wait until the tourney is over and we will all see.

It's not always about putting the most talented players on the ice, Sandy and co picked the team that they thought would give them the best chance to win another gold. This is going to be a fun tournament to watch at the ralph. Remember how well Montoya can play... he alone could lead the US team right back into the thick of it.

New member here and figured this was as good a topic to make my first comments on as any. Congrats to Brian Lee. I love watching this kid play for MHS. Look forward to seeing him wear the green. Is he going to play a year of juniors first or not ? Also, going to see the Sioux sweep the Dogs this weekend, should be fun.

Is he going to play a year of juniors first or not ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a little biased, but I hope he plays at least one more year (other than this year after his high school season) in juniors!

I have a feeling that UND will want his services ASAP though.

I'm a little biased, but I hope he plays at least one more year (other than this year after his high school season) in juniors!

I have a feeling that UND will want his services ASAP though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazing. I feel the same way for totally different reasons! ;)

Question:

How is the roster chosen?  I see many people commenting on "Sandelin's" choices for this roster.  Yet my impression is that this isn't totally within Sandelin's control.  Am I right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not 100% sure on this Dagies but I thought a portion of the roster was already chosen before Sandelin was coach and then he had a say in the final 12?? Maybe someone else can confirm this?