SiouxSports.com Forum

Scary stuff

01grad

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me about it. I guess it would be like instead of holding the football game vs GVSU at the Alerus, holding it in the FargoDome so that the greater population that Fargo has over Grand Forks can come to the game.

I can hardly believe that Mankato's AD would ever consider giving up home ice advantage. It was going to be enough of a blow out with the game in Mankato. Now, I can't see Mankato coming to within 4 goals of the Gophers on Saturday.

I think CC will take 3 points this weekend, that will end some of this Goldy enthusiasm. CC will be primed and ready and they are tough to beat on home ice. The Goofs will come back to earth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see a split this weekend between CC and UM ??? ...Can't get any more conservative than that!

I think CC will take 3 points this weekend, that will end some of this Goldy enthusiasm. CC will be primed and ready and they are tough to beat on home ice. The Goofs will come back to earth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is very possible. Minnesota struggled on the road at Denver. I think any Gopher fan would be very happy with a split.

That is very possible. Minnesota struggled on the road at Denver. I think any Gopher fan would be very happy with a split.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would. On the road against an excellent CC team with oustanding goaltending...I'd be very satisfied with a split. Of course I want a MN sweep, but would not be disappointed with a split.

Hey guys, i watched the UND-CC series from that hell hole down the road and the only thing i noticed was Parise flops like a dead muskie and goes down more than a 12 cent hooker and CC has nice new uniforms. I wasnt impressed at all with the style of play there i wouldnt be surprised if CC gets swept this weekend.

I won't be happy with a split. I'll settle for it, but won't be pleased. CC may be missing a couple of key players according to their fans on USCHO and the Gophers should take all the points.

I expect Friday to be very close going to the team who's goalie plays better and the Gophers winning Saturday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just as most of don't consider that what's happened so far has actually put us into space, I don't think one series alone would return us back had we got there in the first place.

Patrick Reusse: Irmen jumps 'The Woog Wall' to star for Gophers

Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

December 9, 2004

Ronald Reagan went to West Berlin on June 12, 1987 and said: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." The dismantling of the Berlin Wall started on Nov. 11, 1989 and was completed a day later.

Grant Potulny, a forward from Grand Forks, N.D., announced on March 1, 2000 that he would play hockey for the Gophers and coach Don Lucia. Doug Woog, Lucia's predecessor, described this happening as "monumental."

The Woog Wall -- the one that had protected Minnesota's borders from non-resident Gophers hockey players for 13 years -- officially came down on Oct. 7, 2000, when Potulny made his Gophers' debut against Notre Dame.

This was an important event for Danny Irmen, who had been raised in Fargo, N.D. and was enrolled that fall at Grand Forks Red River (Potulny's former high school).

Irmen developed a fondness for the Gophers by watching their games on cable television. The players he most admired were Brian Bonin, a Hobey Baker Award winner, and Ryan Kraft, a Gophers forward from across the river in Moorhead.

Irmen would wear souvenir Gophers hockey garb around Fargo. People would say to him, "You'll never play for the Gophers. They only take Minnesotans."

Woog was replaced by Lucia after the 1998-99 season. A year later, Potulny stormed over the Woog Wall, and Irmen knew playing for his favorite hockey team was possible.

Irmen also knew that his route to playing college hockey had to go through the U.S. Hockey League. By a freshman season in high school, players are hearing hints of down-the-road interest from junior teams.

"Playing in Fargo, I hadn't heard a word," Irmen said. "I had people telling me, 'If you want to go anywhere, you have to move.' "

It was a difficult time in the Irmen family. Don Irmen, Danny's father, lost his job as an oil broker. Don's father, Walter, died around the same time.

Don found a job in Grand Forks. He moved Danny there to attend Red River for his sophomore season. Ann Irmen had a job in Fargo. She stayed, then drove to Grand Forks on weekends, to watch Danny's games and to put back in order her husband-and-son's bachelor apartment.

"North Dakota has such tough rules when it comes to transfer students playing athletics that my parents had to sell our house in Fargo," Irmen said. "Otherwise, that still would've been the family address, and I would've had to sit out six weeks.

"My parents went through a lot of sacrifice. I'm very thankful, because if I hadn't played that season at Red River, I don't think I would be where I'm at today."

On Wednesday, Irmen was at Mariucci Arena, practicing with the nation's No. 1 team. The Gophers maintained that rating by whipping Colorado College 7-2 on Saturday for a weekend split. Irmen scored a pair of power-play goals and has nine goals and 19 points, second in both categories to Ryan Potulny (16 and 21).

Ryan is Grant's kid brother. He was a sophomore at Red River when Irmen arrived there in 2000 in the same class. They went to Lincoln [Neb.] to play in the USHL, and then to the Gophers. They are sophomore linemates. They share a house off campus with five other university students.

Irmen described Ryan as a "great guy," which is good for Danny, since these latest Woog Wall-busters seem joined at the hip.

Potulny came as a freshman in 2003 with considerable advance notice -- not a surprise, since brother Grant was an established star. Irmen's r

NDH, you know you'd take him on the UND squad any day.

You ever going to stop by for a pre-game libation?

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are now to the point of comparing the change in Gopher recruting strategy to the tearing down of the Berlin wall - only a gopher fan could make such a ridiculous comparison which begs me to wonder which comparision is next?:silly:? :lol:

And yes this thread is gay but I had to responsd to our wonderful SOH.

We are now to the point of comparing the change in Gopher recruting strategy to the tearing down of the Berlin wall - only a gopher fan could make such a ridiculous comparison which begs me to wonder which comparision is next?:silly:? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's called using a metaphor....a pretty common practice in journalism.