SiouxSports.com Forum

Scary stuff

01grad

Just got back from the gopher game. (I need to get my hockey fix somehow while away from UND.) They looked unbelievable, not to mention they had on yet another new and different jersey again. Michigan didn't put too much offensive pressure on the gophers, but when they did Briggs made some huge saves. If he can play well, they will be a scary team to face the rest of the year. Glad we are done with them for the regular season.

Other things I noticed were that the gophers had really good passing. The gophers would always drop a pass to their trailer up the middle in the slot and nobody from Michigan would pick them up. They had many odd man rushes with great speed and anticipation. Things I haven't seen from the Sioux yet this year, but it may be starting.

Montoya had no help at all in front of him and the gophers could have easily scored more than 5. The backup goalie for Michigan did very well in the 3rd but I am sure that good old Montoya will start again tomorrow just as Briggs will. (Noticed that Bruckler didn't start for Wisco. which was wierd) I really think that UND should do the same, starting Phil each night now for conference games.

Not too many penalties called in the game and I think the refs are starting to pull back a little as many predicted.

It's amazing how the younger Potulny has come on so strong. He really can find the net and reminds me a lot of the Lundbohm brothers how David found his groove after his brother left.

I just think all of the pieces are coming together for the gophers and it really makes me mad because they might be good for a few more years. Their success will bring in more recruits and it will make it tought to compete.

Eventhough I hated seeing the gophers cruise to an easy victory, it made me feel better glancing at the updates to see us finally getting some much need scoring against a weak team.

Just wanted to share my thoughts and growing concern for the surging gophers. I really think they will be the team to beat down the road.

P.S. I really hate watching a hockey game just to see a "good game" and not have my heart in it as I do with the Sioux. You UND students take advantage of your chance to watch your team each game because you will truly remember the moments and won't always be able to watch them on a regular basis the rest of your life. (unless you are diggler, the most educated college student I know)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think all of the pieces are coming together for the gophers and it really makes me mad because they might be good for a few more years.

They are cruising to the Virg Foss trophy for early season excellence, much like the Sioux did last season.

They are indeed an impressive team. I don't envy the teams that have to play against them at Mariucci in their regional, I hope the Sioux are not there. :ohmy:

Either way, the season's long, the WCHA is crazy, the hockey will be fun to watch.

One of the hardest things to do is come on this websit and praise the Gophers but i think rite now it has got to be done. Potulny and Irmen are incredibe to watch together. They've played together now for 6 years in a row, nearly every shift together. They know where each other are on the ice, the chemistry i see watchin the gophers is unbelievable. They make it look easy, they make it look fun, they make it look exciting and i know it is early but they look like they are for real.

Yep, the gophers right now look like the team to beat.  They are winning consistently and beating good teams while they do it.

I think how good the gophers are this year is a bit of a surprise just as is how bad UMD is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. The Gophers are amazing which is a suprise, but what the F is wrong with the Bulldogs?

Reichmuth is breaking down, their defense is falling apart, and that offense isn't scoring... Losing to SCSU like that? Wow.

I think the Gophers are doing as well as I expected after checking on the stats of the frosh coming in, but my concern is being too good, too early. I want them to be this good in April, not right now! :ohmy:

UND will gets its wheels back on the bus soon I am sure, you guys have too good a squad to not do well.

As for tUMD, sadly for my second fav squad, they are doing horrible. Why everyone asks? I'll give the biggest reason I picked tUMD to finish in the middle of the WCHA this year: no Junior. If I remember right, they were only a .500 team with out him last year. I think he was the glue/fire in the belly of the team, and w/o him they are not playing up to their potential.

WPoS

P.S. can I just say I LOVE to beat Michigan? :lol:

Scary? I think not. :ohmy:

It's relatively early but most Gopher fans are obviously pleased and hope the intensity can continue - and it's the high intensity level that is the biggest improvement from last season.

UMD is an enigma. I haven't seen them play so I can't really comment, but from what I read it sounds like they may be 1) gripping their sticks a little tightly, 2) have the belief they can show up and win and 3) lost the heart and soul as well as their top talent last year.

They are indeed an impressive team. I don't envy the teams that have to play against them at Mariucci in their regional, I hope the Sioux are not there. :ohmy:

Either way, the season's long, the WCHA is crazy, the hockey will be fun to watch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do it makes beating them in their own regional more fun.

Yep, the gophers right now look like the team to beat.  They are winning consistently and beating good teams while they do it.

I think how good the gophers are this year is a bit of a surprise just as is how bad UMD is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think once UofM has to play away from home and gets into the meet of their conference season we will see how the chips fall. They have lost to two lesser teams this season already, Denver and UAA. I am still not convinced Briggs is that good of a goaltender. I remember hearing how titles are won in March and April and not during October, November and December, (Yikes I heard that some where not too long ago), the Gophers are reminding me of last years Sioux. Lets see if they can win in Febuary, March and April when Briggs can't stop a beach ball.

Exactly.  The Gophers are amazing which is a suprise, but what the F is wrong with the Bulldogs?

Reichmuth is breaking down, their defense is falling apart, and that offense isn't scoring...  Losing to SCSU like that?  Wow.

I don't know about you but I am pleased with the game the Blow Dogs are playing right now. I have neve thought Reichmuth could win the big games when he needed to. I think that is why Johnson is getting more of the starts. I think UMD is finding out that their Hobey Baker award winner from last season was pretty important to their success.

Because UND had so much fun the last time the regional was in Mariucci.

Ferris Wheel State 5, UND 2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for another incredibly worthwhile post on SS there Skippy. Come back again soon.

Season isn't won in November - much like you reminded all us Sioux fans last year around this time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is precisly why (as has probably already been mentioned ad nauseum) that it's a bit early to annoint the Gophers champions of anything. While I am very much encouraged by what I've seen, and while I believe the team is a legitimate Top 5 team in the country, there is a lot of hockey to be played and the last thing I am about to do is count the likes of UND or UMD out of the picture.

That said, this forum wouldn't be complete without Goon demonstrating once again he's completely incapable of ever admitting the Gophers just might be better than he's claimed all along. :ohmy:

Thanks for another incredibly worthwhile post on SS there Skippy.  Come back again soon.

Season isn't won in November - much like you reminded all us Sioux fans last year around this time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recommend using the ignore feature. It would also be nice if people would not quote the trolls. I'm sure several people have ignored the trolls, but we have to read it anyway if others quote them.

That said, this forum wouldn't be complete without Goon demonstrating once again he's completely incapable of ever admitting the Gophers just might be better than he's claimed all along.  :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goon didn't say that the Gophers aren't good, he just said that he isn't convinced they can win it all. There are many good teams that don't get the job done when it counts. There are also times when average teams win when it counts. :lol:

That said, this forum wouldn't be complete without Goon demonstrating once again he's completely incapable of ever admitting the Gophers just might be better than he's claimed all along.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think I ever said the GOOOPhers weren't good. I said that I am not convinced that they are going to win the whole ball of wax this season. There area lot of games. There are a lot of good teams too. I remember UofM giving up about 7 goals last weekend to the Pios in Denver. :0

Also, If I remember my post (since I wrote it) I remember sayin that UND started out in simular fashion last season, tearing it up. I also said that Championships are won in March and April, not October, November and December. If you read my post further I compared its UND's season last year. They cruise out to a lead in the WCHA, win a lot of games score some goals and then wahla, they end up going into a slump. I am not saying they will, I hope they do though. Beside UND has beat UofM this year so big hairy deal. Another tidbit, ussually the WCHA champ doesn't always win the NCAA. If I remember right the last couple of winners were like in third or fourth in the league. Denver might have even been 5th. :(

Enjoy the season. :D

Lastly, I don't remember it being critical to give the gooophers props, they are hated rivals. :silly:

Gophers will, and have always been very impressive on the big ice surface. They know how to use it to their advantage. While they have been impressive, if the Sioux had pulled out one in Wisconsin (which they probably should have on Saturday), the Sioux would be sitting at 8-3-1 in the league. The Sioux also have played their toughest teams on the road. You have to admit that the gophers were steam-rolled in the 3rd period twice at Denver, although pulling out a win from strong goaltending like a good team does when they aren't playing their best. Briggs sure has looked good to me Goon. Sure he may fade a bit, but our goalies could as well. Let's hope CC has a surprise in store for the gophers next weekend and we take care of business against Anchorage, because that would put us back at par with them, or maybe even a hair ahead.

I'll just add that Minnesota should have the #1 bullseye on them heading to CC. Don't construe these posts to mean I am taking away from Minnesota great play of late, I am only saying that the Sioux are not far off the pace having played a really testing opening schedule, and mostly without our key play, Brady Murray, I might add. Take Potulny out of Minnesota's offense and you lose 30% of your goals. Brady Murray is our Ryan Potulny. The Sioux need to win 3 of their next 4 and they will be sitting pretty for the stretch drive.

I would be shocked if both were not named to the USA WJ team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be shocked if either one of them were named to the team.........since they are to old. Last year should've/could've been their year. If I remember correctly, Potulny didn't miss the age cut by very much this year.

By the way, Minnesota is steam-rolling right now and will be tough for anyone to beat, regardless of the size of the ice they are playing on.

I would be shocked if either one of them were named to the team.........since they are to old. Last year should've/could've been their year. If I remember correctly, Potulny didn't miss the age cut by very much this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that is the case - my bad! I thought they were both eligible since Eaves commented that they should both receive strong consideration this year (btw, I realize he isn't the coach, but was discussing players cut/players considered last season).