SiouxSports.com Forum

Scary stuff

01grad

It's interesting really.

When an opposing team gives props to another team that isn't theirs, especially a rival of theirs, it seems like there are a few people who have to come in and say "Yeah! That's why we rule and you suck!" And so on.

There is nothing wrong with stating respect to a Gopher team that faced adversity before the season began and came out of the gates playing FAR FAR better than anticipated.

I do agree that it is only November, but a strong showing is still worthy of respect.

I agree with sagard. Keep it nice folks. I don't harbor any warmth for the Gophers, but one HAS to admit they are playing extremely well. They have some players who are contributing at a level very high.

A good question for sagard et. al. With Goligoski and Potulny's performances this season thus far, do you think they'll last until their Junior years? Is there remotely a chance that they will stay for 4 years?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good question for sagard et. al.  With Goligoski and Potulny's performances this season thus far, do you think they'll last until their Junior years?  Is there remotely a chance that they will stay for 4 years?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would guess they would each stick around for three years, but with the way Ryan is lighting it up who knows. Both have been drafted and won't get any lucritive free agent money. I think both came to college directly after high schools as well so they will both likely grow a little and get a lot stronger.

The main thing that this continues to prove is that it would have been extremely foolish for RP to try for a redshirt last season.

The Gophers are off to a good start but its still early in the year. The team that i think will be real tough at the end is Denver they manhandled the Gophers on the Saturday game. I am always real tenative when my team gets off to real great start because everybody else gets better as the season goes on kind of like the kid thats a star as a squirt and skating 4th line as a bantam.The Gophers will go thru some rocky points during the season and i see one coming up against CC. Enjoy the ride :D

I agree that MN is playing great hockey. What they did to UND last month was about equal parts UND being terrible and MN being terrific, and I don't think MN has slowed down much since then. (Thankfully UND seems to be finding its game, but that's another topic.)

Briggs has been great, they have the usual speed-and-skill-all-the-way-down-the-lineup, and the freshman defensemen have been a revelation. But the biggest factor in MN's success (IMO) has been the play of Irmen and Potulny, who might be the two best forwards in the country. The puck just finds Potulny, in space, with a sometimes half-open goal in front of him. If the goalie is in position, he picks the corner. He has been outstanding, and has to be considered the early frontrunner for the Hobey. (Calling them the best forwards begs for a comparison to Stafford and Murray in the same class. By the end of the year it might be a good argument, but right now, with Murray's injury and Stafford's slow start, it's not even a contest. Stafford is apparently coming around, and we'll see how Murray comes back.)

With all that said, I think Denver is the best team I have seen this year, and if they get any kind of goaltending, they are a real threat to repeat. The idea seems ridiculous, because I think they really were about the tenth to fifteenth best team last year, which is where they finished in the PWR. They seem much better this year. If Denver is in the Mariucci regional, that would be a battle. Otherwise I don't see anyone beating MN on the big ice, with MN advancing to Columbus. In terms of chances of advancing to Columbus, I think UND's best chance is somewhere away from the big ice, even if it means Michigan in Michigan.

The gophers are far and away the best team in the nation RIGHT NOW. The Sioux have plenty of time to close that gap. And besides its usually not the best team that wins that national championship. It's the one that can get 4 strait in the spring. There is a history that Minnesota tends to choke in the playoffs. All they need is a motivating speech from Woog and its over.

Having just called the gophers "the best team" makes me feel so dirty. :D

Let me sum this thread up:

- Potulny and Irmen are good players

- Minnesota is playing well right now, in months that end in "r" (Sioux fans have seen that and know what can come of it.)

- The important months don't end in "r"

- Winning in ends-in-"r" months is the fast track to a Virg Foss Award

Now play nice with each other.

Hey guys i was at the game Friday night. Living outside of Ann Arbor by 25 minutes and also being an alum of UND it was hard for me to watch the Gophers play hockey at that level. Watching Potulny and Irmen play together is like the way Sonny went with Cher or Ketchup goes with vinegar. Kellen Briggs is also made vast improvements over last year where i thought he'd be replaced (this coming from the same guy who thought legoland was a bad idea). It is only November and we remember how UND was talked up last year. Maybe, hopefully this bubble is gonna burst, but thankfully my two teams dont have to play them.

Unfortunately, not all of his stats are better.

Winning percentage: Briggs - 83.3%; Lamourex - 64.3%

Lammy can't help it that the Sioux have 3 good goalies that are all trying to get playing time, so he doesn't start as many games as Briggs. Hakstol has been rotating Lammy and Jpar.

Just because Lucia doesn't have the luxury of having a good backup goalie shouldn't be used as a stat against Lammy. :D

Lammy can't help it that the Sioux have 3 good goalies that are all trying to get playing time, so he doesn't start as many games as Briggs. Hakstol has been rotating Lammy and Jpar.

Just because Lucia doesn't have the luxury of having a good backup goalie shouldn't be used as a stat against Lammy. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does winning percentage have to do with number of starts?

I think that when the Final Five rolls around it could be one of the best fields we have had. I see Minnesota, NoDak, the BADgers, Denver and CC all showing up there.

It's possible there will be better hockey at that tourney than at the frozen four.

Unless the Bulldogs turn it around soon it will be tough for them because they will have to go on the road to play one of the above teams to make it in.