SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-23, 2-14) vs UST (8-19, 2-13) 2/22 1 PM

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, UNDFan2577 said:

I am genuinely curious as to why this is the accepted opinion for most on here.

You can’t be 6-25 in year 3 with every year being worse than the previous as you get your own recruits into the program. The portal excuse is just that, an excuse.

Can’t be losing at home to a transitioning school that was D3 last year. Don’t care what time of day the game is.

I’ve said it before and I’ll stand by it, winning at Northern St. does not equate to winning at UND. One is an established powerhouse program that doesn’t need built. The other is not.

This job can’t continue to be one of the lowest paying in D1. Can’t offer less money than almost everyone else and just expect to catch lightning in a bottle.

Rant over, sorry.

Sather is a good coach. It will take 5-6 years minimum and a lot more financial support to demand more. You dump Sather, you likely lose your best freshman and quite possibly your best incoming recruits. This is a process and improvement usually isn’t linear. You mentioned an important challenge and that is the issue of financial support. Another is fan support. Win and they will probably come. Fill the seats and it makes playing here more attractive. I’m not into comparisons about what timelines we see with other schools. Losing Rebracca was such a blow to this years team. Had he stayed would we have lost the other guys?  We have some very good prospects coming in. If we can keep Sather here, I believe we will be a top level Summit team within next 3 years if not sooner. I don’t believe anyone is too surprised with our struggles this year. We have a ways to go yet. I doubt there is a better option than Sather either willing or capable of moving the program forward any faster at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Sather is a good coach. It will take 5-6 years minimum and a lot more financial support to demand more. You dump Sather, you likely lose your best freshman and quite possibly your best incoming recruits. This is a process and improvement usually isn’t linear. You mentioned an important challenge and that is the issue of financial support. Another is fan support. Win and they will probably come. Fill the seats and it makes playing here more attractive. I’m not into comparisons about what timelines we see with other schools. Losing Rebracca was such a blow to this years team. Had he stayed would we have lost the other guys?  We have some very good prospects coming in. If we can keep Sather here, I believe we will be a top level Summit team within next 3 years if not sooner. I don’t believe anyone is too surprised with our struggles this year. We have a ways to go yet. I doubt there is a better option than Sather either willing or capable of moving the program forward any faster at this point. 

all this is 100 percent true....i'm and others are pointing out we want to see some improvement..some progression. like the above post says 7 points in 13 minutes against a d3 schools is not good.

i've been a sather backer and still am...just want to see some improvement next year and i'm sure it will happen.

• Upvote 1

I agree he has two years for sure and if he is showing improvement in 2nd year he will get a third year. This is Chaves hire and he already on record he feel's this year is like women experienced last year with covid and injuries.  All the other points are valid on loosing Rebraca and other players and we may never know all the reasons for the player losses but for sure it has not been positive for them in their transfers. Today's game i don't think they played as hard as they have played for the most of the year.  I think the way the game went and they were down by 11 at half time and then went down by more than 20 second half it was like season was over. They came back with Grant and Norman but Bruns and Danielson could never get it going and without them contributing it was to high mountain.  The worst part is i think we lost Panoam for the final game which will leave us with 7 healthy players and Nero who is dressing and playing still quite hurt. I hope we keep the game close Saturday but i have my doubts on that front. I don't think we missed mutch  not going to Sioux Falls because we wouldn't have snow ball chance in July of beating SDSU.  I don't think we will see quick turn around next year in the program because we will be primarily made up Freshman and Sophomores look around the league the top teams all pretty well experienced teams and its hard to win with young team. My hope would be could reach 5 in the conference seating in the tournament next year.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I agree he has two years for sure and if he is showing improvement in 2nd year he will get a third year. This is Chaves hire and he already on record he feel's this year is like women experienced last year with covid and injuries.  All the other points are valid on loosing Rebraca and other players and we may never know all the reasons for the player losses but for sure it has not been positive for them in their transfers. Today's game i don't think they played as hard as they have played for the most of the year.  I think the way the game went and they were down by 11 at half time and then went down by more than 20 second half it was like season was over. They came back with Grant and Norman but Bruns and Danielson could never get it going and without them contributing it was to high mountain.  The worst part is i think we lost Panoam for the final game which will leave us with 7 healthy players and Nero who is dressing and playing still quite hurt. I hope we keep the game close Saturday but i have my doubts on that front. I don't think we missed mutch  not going to Sioux Falls because we wouldn't have snow ball chance in July of beating SDSU.  I don't think we will see quick turn around next year in the program because we will be primarily made up Freshman and Sophomores look around the league the top teams all pretty well experienced teams and its hard to win with young team. My hope would be could reach 5 in the conference seating in the tournament next year.

Well we know Rebraca's reason, he has been very clear on that.  If his grad program was in-person at UND, he would still be here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

all this is 100 percent true....i'm and others are pointing out we want to see some improvement..some progression. like the above post says 7 points in 13 minutes against a d3 schools is not good.

i've been a sather backer and still am...just want to see some improvement next year and i'm sure it will happen.

I want to see improvement too.  Two of our better players couldn’t get it going today. That happens at times at all levels. We don’t have the depth to compensate for any of our key players to struggle much less 2 of them. It’s hard to be patient, but we are gathering pieces of the puzzle and I believe Sather is a key piece. 

• Like 1

Didn’t South Dakota lose Umude to transfer and have their second best player out all year with injury? Transfers are part of the game now and we did a poor job this year in replacing what we lost. Let’s get BJ signed, hang onto the young guys, and build a promising core heading into next year 

23 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Didn’t South Dakota lose Umude to transfer and have their second best player out all year with injury? Transfers are part of the game now and we did a poor job this year in replacing what we lost. Let’s get BJ signed, hang onto the young guys, and build a promising core heading into next year 

Ok with South Dakota, they’re a team with an established coach and you mentioned essentially losing 2 players. We lost 3 starters minimum and some. I’m not at all happy with what transpired this year and if our March even closely resembles last March I may get my pitchfork out but there’s a definite difference. Sather can recruit, I believe that. He needs to retain those recruits after a year or two though. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I don’t disagree that Sather is a good coach (although there’s been some real head scratchers X and O wise this year).

The amount of talent in the program is a huge problem though. How many legitimate D1 players are on this roster? Maybe 2 or 3?

The talent that Sather brought in that we all got so excited about are all pretty much all riding the bench elsewhere at other mid-majors. Some(not all) of the Jones guys are having success. 

The talent just isn’t there and hasn’t been there in his tenure. A good coach with minimal talent isn’t winning games.

On 2/23/2022 at 7:24 AM, UNDFan2577 said:

The amount of talent in the program is a huge problem though. How many legitimate D1 players are on this roster? Maybe 2 or 3?

On 2/22/2022 at 2:10 PM, UNDFan2577 said:

The portal excuse is just that, an excuse.

You can't have it both ways. When you unexpectedly lose an all-Summit league player, the Summit league ROY, a starter plus the previous year's Summit ROY all to the portal, you don't get to complain about "how many legitimate players are on this roster" and in the same breath say that the portal is just an excuse. It is an absolute fact, that without the portal there would be quite a few more "D1 players" and some pretty damn good ones that have proven themselves at this level already.

I haven't heard Sather complain a single time about the hand he was dealt. This roster looks incredibly different with at minimum Rebraca and Ihenacho on it. You don't magically replace unexpected losses just like that. Don't think its a stretch to say some of the biggest weaknesses in this year's team are a solid post game and a steady PG. Toss in Sueker and Nero being hurt and you have results that aren't all that surprising. 

No one is happy about the results. No one is saying they are the expectation or that they are acceptable.
But logical people can look at what the coach has done previously and when he has had even a portion of the talent needed to compete.
It is his job to build the roster back up. Sending him packing isn't going to do much of anything but reset the cycle (unless there is some wizard out there who somehow knows exactly what combination of transfers and JuCos would skip a few years).

EDIT:
Just reference, here is what UND unexpectedly lost in the offseason between Ihenacho, Rebraca and Sims (I'll exclude DAE since I think he was gone regardless, though that wasn't known until part way through the season:
-1st and 3rd leading scorer (Sims was 7th at 6.3, 3rd through 7th are all within less than 2.5 points of each other) - 46% of points scored
-Top 3 rebounders - 54% of rebounds
-1st, 2nd and 4th in minutes/game - 44% of minutes played

Again, these are just the unplanned losses of 3 players. Not shocking this year went how it did, especially with injuries.

• Upvote 2

I imagine there will be a few players in the portal this year and maybe a few the coach wants to move on.

There are players on d2 and naia teams that are probably better than our players but there is a thing called academic grades that get in the way.

need to keep recruiting and hope they develop.

Sather plays with the hand that he was dealt and I haven’t heard him complain, are transfers part due to him?  I can’t answer that 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

You can't have it both ways. When you unexpectedly lose an all-Summit league player, the Summit league ROY, a starter plus the previous year's Summit ROY all to the portal, you don't get to complain about "how many legitimate players are on this roster" and in the same breath say that the portal is just an excuse. It is an absolute fact, that without the portal there would be quite a few more "D1 players" and some pretty damn good ones that have proven themselves at this level already.

I haven't heard Sather complain a single time about the hand he was dealt. This roster looks incredibly different with at minimum Rebraca and Ihenacho on it. You don't magically replace unexpected losses just like that. Don't think its a stretch to say some of the biggest weaknesses in this year's team are a solid post game and a steady PG.

No one is happy about the results. No one is saying they are the expectation or that they are acceptable.
But logical people can look at what the coach has done previously and when he has had even a portion of the talent needed to compete.
It is his job to build the roster back up. Sending him packing isn't going to do much of anything but reset the cycle (unless there is some wizard out there who somehow knows exactly what combination of transfers and JuCos would skip a few years).

Well said!!!