SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-23, 2-14) vs UST (8-19, 2-13) 2/22 1 PM

SWSiouxMN

UND couldn't sustain a full 40 minutes against a good ORU squad and find themselves going into the final week of the season, more than likely not going to the Summit League Tournament.  It would take several things happening in order for them to make it.  

While there hasn't been too many positive this season, one bright spot has been the play of freshman Paul Bruns, who already had put his name in the UND records books so far this season.  Right now

-His 71 3 pointers is currently tied for 10th all time in a regular season

-His 188 3 point attempts is currently in 8th all time in a regular season

-His 82% free throw percentage is currently 10th all time in a regular season

There is one more record that is within his reach.  The freshman scoring record.  This record was set two years ago by DAE.  He currently has 441 points.  The record is 454, so he needs 14 points to break the record.

Unless the weather or injury play a role, he should be breaking this record in this game.  It has been an impressive season so far and his future is very bright at UND.  

For St. Thomas:  There certainly have been some successes and some growing pains in their first year at the divsion 1 level, but they want to end the year with a bang.  They have 3 winnable games coming up and they could end the season on a high note if they can win a couple of them.  Their futures are also very bright with a great coach and a great recruiting class coming in next year.  It will intersting to see their growth in year 2.

In this game, abnormal start time because this is a makeup game.  UND should be able to win this one and techincally keep their season alive for at least 2 more days.

Radio for sure, but not sure if there will be TV. 

43 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND couldn't sustain a full 40 minutes against a good ORU squad and find themselves going into the final week of the season, more than likely not going to the Summit League Tournament.  It would take several things happening in order for them to make it.  

While there hasn't been too many positive this season, one bright spot has been the play of freshman Paul Bruns, who already had put his name in the UND records books so far this season.  Right now

-His 71 3 pointers is currently tied for 10th all time in a regular season

-His 188 3 point attempts is currently in 8th all time in a regular season

-His 82% free throw percentage is currently 10th all time in a regular season

There is one more record that is within his reach.  The freshman scoring record.  This record was set two years ago by DAE.  He currently has 441 points.  The record is 454, so he needs 14 points to break the record.

Unless the weather or injury play a role, he should be breaking this record in this game.  It has been an impressive season so far and his future is very bright at UND.  

For St. Thomas:  There certainly have been some successes and some growing pains in their first year at the divsion 1 level, but they want to end the year with a bang.  They have 3 winnable games coming up and they could end the season on a high note if they can win a couple of them.  Their futures are also very bright with a great coach and a great recruiting class coming in next year.  It will intersting to see their growth in year 2.

In this game, abnormal start time because this is a makeup game.  UND should be able to win this one and techincally keep their season alive for at least 2 more days.

Radio for sure, but not sure if there will be TV. 

He's making the record books in several offensive categories, as you indicate,  but the nice thing about this freshman is that he plays both ends of the floor, as evidenced by the fact that he's usually one of our leading rebounders, if not our leading rebounder, from his guard position.  

8 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

He's making the record books in several offensive categories, as you indicate,  but the nice thing about this freshman is that he plays both ends of the floor, as evidenced by the fact that he's usually one of our leading rebounders, if not our leading rebounder, from his guard position.  

You are correct that he is also the leading rebound (a little under 6 rebounds a game).  

An offseason to work on his consistency on the offensive end (and get that 3 point shooting north of 40%) and his defense...  Look out

• Upvote 1

So if you want to know the path that UND needs to follow in order to make Sioux Falls,  here is the "simpliest" path

1) Win against St. Thomas

2) Omaha loss to WIU

3) KC loss to USD

4) ORU loss to SDSU

5) UND beats NDSU

6) Omaha loss to UST

7) KC loss to SDSU

8) ORU loss to USD

Result: tied with Omaha with the 8th spot.  They both split and then goes to record against other opponents.  Since NDSU finished ahead of KC in the standing, UND would win the tiebreaker.

Problem?  That is a LOT that has to go right between tomorrow and Saturday. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So if you want to know the path that UND needs to follow in order to make Sioux Falls,  here is the "simpliest" path

2) Omaha loss to WIU

3) KC loss to USD

4) ORU loss to SDSU

5) UND beats NDSU

6) Omaha loss to UST

7) KC loss to SDSU

8) ORU loss to USD

Result: tied with Omaha with the 8th spot.  They both split and then goes to record against other opponents.  Since NDSU finished ahead of KC in the standing, UND would win the tiebreaker.

dumb-and-dumber-jimcarrey.gif

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

2) Omaha loss to WIU

3) KC loss to USD

4) ORU loss to SDSU

5) UND beats NDSU

6) Omaha loss to UST

7) KC loss to SDSU

8) ORU loss to USD

Why would we need the ORU losses, #4, 8?  We split with Omaha.  We were both swept by ORU and SDSU.  As long as NDSU finishes ahead of KC I don’t think it matters where ORU is

7 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Be gentle.

It wasn’t meant as an attack, I had spent some time earlier in the day trying to understand the tie break rules and thought maybe I missed or misunderstood something.  I VERY much appreciate the time and information SWSiouxMN adds to this site.

34 minutes ago, Kassonvike said:

It wasn’t meant as an attack, I had spent some time earlier in the day trying to understand the tie break rules and thought maybe I missed or misunderstood something.  I VERY much appreciate the time and information SWSiouxMN adds to this site.

We appreciate both of you figuring out the possibilities.  I should have added a smiley. :)

One more 8th spot scenario:  I forgot St Thomas actually has 3 games remaining.  If

UND beats UST and NDSU

Omaha loses to WIllinois and UST

and UST also beats Denver

Their would then be a three way tie for 8th which I think would go to UND as they would have the best head to head between the three teams at 3-1.

I know this is still a snowball chance in hell territory but I am going to Summit tournament with some NDSU fans and I need to keep hope alive as long as I can :-).  Just win today and I can keep dreaming for a few more days.