SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

Let's see here, you have a coach that has basically run a program into the ground. Think about the teams that UND now plays and struggles to beat (and many times lose to). UM Crookston, Minot, U of Mary, etc. Embarassing. The only success that Glas has had was when Guldseth and Vonesh dropped into his lap and when Beasley needed a place to play. I would not go watch this current garbage if tickets were given to me. All I know is that if I performed on my job like Glas has performed on his for the last 10 years, I would no longer have a job. There are performance expectations that must be met at my job. Why are there not expectations as a UND Mens BB coach?

I think you need to to do a little history check....?

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see here, you have a coach that has basically run a program into the ground. Think about the teams that UND now plays and struggles to beat (and many times lose to). UM Crookston, Minot, U of Mary, etc. Embarassing. The only success that Glas has had was when Guldseth and Vonesh dropped into his lap and when Beasley needed a place to play. I would not go watch this current garbage if tickets were given to me. All I know is that if I performed on my job like Glas has performed on his for the last 10 years, I would no longer have a job. There are performance expectations that must be met at my job. Why are there not expectations as a UND Mens BB coach?

This is all after Gully,Vonesh Dropped into his Lap???

1993-1994...Chris Gardner,Mike Bergman,Steve McAndrew....NCC 3rd Place..regional Semis

If you care to check...We also were co-NCC Champs in 1994-95 Season,Played in the regional Tourney with The Like of Todd Johnson,Dave Rettker,Burke Barlow...

Then again in 1999-2000.. We made thge regional Tournamnet again with the Like of Kyle Behrens,Hunter Reinke,Marcus Travis,Chad Mustard...Actually this Team made the Regional Semis and Got Beat By the National CHAMPS.Metro State...I was at That Game

2001-2002 .. A great year on the Edge of a regional Bid...Lost in the Conference Tournamnet Finals..

2002-2003...Beasley year ..One and Done (We got futher in 93-94 and 99-00 Then with Jerome)..But in the Regional Tourney

To say he has run the program into the Ground is ABSURD....Please do your homework before making STUPID STATEMENTS....

Would we all like to be more successful sure....But lets not just judge these young men only on the Basketball Court.....I wonder what James Barid is doing right Now?...They are student 1st...BBAll players 2nd....

Th NSIC and Some of the DAC 10 Schools have almost become equal in Mens BBALL over the last 5-7 Years...We can Not expect that we will or Should Dominate...As a few Gaps did in the Early years....

This is all after Gully,Vonesh Dropped into his Lap???

1993-1994...Chris Gardner,Mike Bergman,Steve McAndrew....NCC 3rd Place..regional Semis

If you care to check...We also were co-NCC Champs in 1994-95 Season,Played in the regional Tourney with The Like of Todd Johnson,Dave Rettker,Burke Barlow...

Then again in 1999-2000.. We made thge regional Tournamnet again with the Like of Kyle Behrens,Hunter Reinke,Marcus Travis,Chad Mustard...Actually this Team made the Regional Semis and Got Beat By the National CHAMPS.Metro State...I was at That Game

2001-2002 .. A great year on the Edge of a regional Bid...Lost in the Conference Tournamnet Finals..

2002-2003...Beasley year ..One and Done (We got futher in 93-94 and 99-00 Then with Jerome)..But in the Regional Tourney

To say he has run the program into the Ground is ABSURD....Please do your homework before making STUPID STATEMENTS....

Would we all like to be more successful sure....But lets not just judge these young men only on the Basketball Court.....I wonder what James Barid is doing right Now?...They are student 1st...BBAll players 2nd....

Th NSIC and Some of the DAC 10 Schools have almost become equal in Mens BBALL over the last 5-7 Years...We can Not expect that we will or Should Dominate...As a few Gaps did in the Early years....

I apologize for my post. It appears that you are correct. Rich Glas is definitely the right coach if consistent mediocrity is what you crave. Obviously, you are happy with just getting to the party. Think about it, you are getting excited over a bunch of regional tournament bids. I suppose that you are also a Timberwolves fan. Hey, they make the playoffs almost every year so they must be awesome. Never mind the fact that they almost never win once there.

Regardless of geographic proximity, a school like UND should be able to field a more competitive team.

You obivously have trouble reading and understanding....I Said we would all like to be more successful, Even Rich Glas, and His Players...Name me the last NCC Mens Team to Win a National Title , You talk of tho they are Easily Available...?

Regional Participation is HARDLY Run the Program into The Ground, However...

You obivously have trouble reading and understanding....I Said we would all like to be more successful, Even Rich Glas, and His Players...Name me the last NCC Mens Team to Win a National Title , You talk of tho they are Easily Available...?

I agree chill out a bit, it is not as bad as you ( bring dean back ) are making it out to be, 18 wins last year is not mediocracy, it may not be what all had hoped for but it is also not total failure. Just a comparison remember Nebraska fired Frank Solich when 10 wins wasn't enough and look what they have had to go through the last 2 football seasons, now this year they win 8 and thinnk they are turning the corner. Somehow 8 wins is not as good as 10 in my book.

It's tough to imagine this team will win a road game this year. UND hasn't had a season without a road victory since the 1988-89 season.
I was wrong, as UND won at Colorado Mines tonight, even without Harkins and essentially without Lindahl. Gunhus played a few minutes for Mines but didn't score.

If wishes were horses, we would all be knee deep in poop. I consider UND to be a solid academic school. I also consider UND to be the type of school where excellence should be expected of its sports teams.

As far as the Northern Sun and DAC conference, are you sure that they are improved? Or has the NCC and UND fallen down to their level?

I agree chill out a bit, it is not as bad as you ( bring dean back ) are making it out to be, 18 wins last year is not mediocracy, it may not be what all had hoped for but it is also not total failure. Just a comparison remember Nebraska fired Frank Solich when 10 wins wasn't enough and look what they have had to go through the last 2 football seasons, now this year they win 8 and thinnk they are turning the corner. Somehow 8 wins is not as good as 10 in my book.

Good point regarding Solich. I would like to add that if Callahan does not improve on the 8 win season next year he will probably be out of work.

Good point regarding Solich. I would like to add that if Callahan does not improve on the 8 win season next year he will probably be out of work.

Callahan should have been fired on the sideline during the Kansas State game. The second that Harrison Beck took a snap from center in the 4th quarter of the 10th game of his redshirt season.

Edited by petey23

men lost to Minot State 78-72....OUCH?...at home...not good

Still think we should keep giving Rich latitude cause of all his "past" accomplishments?

This is embarassing. There is absolutely no "buzz" in GF about this program anymore...very few people really care. That is obviously my opinion but an opinion formulated from being at the home games and seeing very little fire in any of the fans. They need something to get this program alive again.

Still think we should keep giving Rich latitude cause of all his "past" accomplishments?

This is embarassing. There is absolutely no "buzz" in GF about this program anymore...very few people really care. That is obviously my opinion but an opinion formulated from being at the home games and seeing very little fire in any of the fans. They need something to get this program alive again.

I agree that there is absolutely no buzz in the community when it comes to men's basketball. Among the vast majority of local basketball fans, it's all about the women, as well it should be. I used to be outraged at losses like this, but now I guess I'm just immune since there have been so many... :lol:

Give Glas a break... the fall of the UND basketball program isn't all his fault. UND basketball will continue to struggle until UND makes the much- needed decision to go Division I. UND continuing to remain division II has made recruiting for Glas extremely difficult. When UND and NDSU are up for the same players in hoops NDSU, sadly, will almost always and this is starting to show on the court. The Division I tag is much more attractive to male athletes especially since unlike WBB it would be impossible to sell a potential recruit on the chance to win a national championship in basketball at UND. Before we start heaping blame on Glas let's instead starting looking at some of the circumstances that are making it extremely difficult for him to put a competitive team on the floor.

Give Glas a break... the fall of the UND basketball program isn't all his fault. UND basketball will continue to struggle until UND makes the much- needed decision to go Division I. UND continuing to remain division II has made recruiting for Glas extremely difficult. When UND and NDSU are up for the same players in hoops NDSU, sadly, will almost always and this is starting to show on the court. The Division I tag is much more attractive to male athletes especially since unlike WBB it would be impossible to sell a potential recruit on the chance to win a national championship in basketball at UND. Before we start heaping blame on Glas let's instead starting looking at some of the circumstances that are making it extremely difficult for him to put a competitive team on the floor.

Following your logic, why is Minot State able to recruit better players than UND with such a Div-1 juggernaut like NDSU stealing all of the talent? The only thing a move to D-1 would do at this point is increase the average loss from about 10 points to about 50 points per game.

Here's the problem that I have when people bring up how difficult recruiting is: that would seem to be implying that our current talent is so poor that it explains the poor results. I don't believe that's true. There are a lot of players on this team who were heavily recruited. Lindahl, Jacobson (dI transfer), Nobles (signed LOI with Baylor), Doyle and probably Harkins all received pretty substantial dI interest. Gutter, Wills and Blackwell were considered to be very good dII recruits. There is enough talent on this team to be easily beating DAC teams, particularly at home. Instead of focusing on how difficult recruiting supposedly is, why not ask the real questions--do our results match (or even exceed) the level of talent in most years? Do players routinely improve during their careers? Do most of the players seem to be putting forward their best effort on a consistent basis? To me, those are the bigger issues.

... Glas, who is four wins away from breaking Dave Gunther's career coaching record at UND.

Let's repeat this here because this is what I believe is going on: Rich wants to pass Gunther and go out on top. But what a way to go ....

My personal belief right now: As the Ravens were to Mike Tice, so the Minot State Beavers are to Rich Glas.

Edited by The Sicatoka

I do have to say I've been hesitant to get on the PANIC bandwagon, but last night was the last straw. I do agree that DI would help MBB greatly, but there is no reason not to compete with "like" compitition and beat lower level teams given the resources of the program.

There is something dramaticly wrong, how much can it get worse.

I'm not exactly sure why going DI is automatically going to make our Men's team any better or more fun to watch. It does seem like there are other problems going on that a couple more scholarships wouldn't help. To get on to a more " uplifting" topic, the Sioux women's team is worth the price of admission. I guess they looked tremendous out in Colorado. What a future they have.

I'm not exactly sure why going DI is automatically going to make our Men's team any better or more fun to watch. It does seem like there are other problems going on that a couple more scholarships wouldn't help. To get on to a more " uplifting" topic, the Sioux women's team is worth the price of admission. I guess they looked tremendous out in Colorado. What a future they have.

Hmmm...and this at the D-II level with mostly local (many within a 100 mile radius) talent. I don't know what to think about the men's coaching situation, but I doubt you'll recruit many players at any level with such dismal success.