SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

I don't want to moan and gripe over EVERY lost this year, but what I find disheartening about this loss is that Minot's team is having a disappointing season themselves, and they still they beat UND... :lol:

That's true. Minot has actually lost to a couple of Canadian teams, and UMC. There's no sugarcoating this one. It was bad.

Tomorrow night's coaches' show should be interesting. Luckily for Rich nobody ever seems to call in except for one guy, and he's unrelentingly upbeat about everything.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give Glas a break... the fall of the UND basketball program isn't all his fault. UND basketball will continue to struggle until UND makes the much- needed decision to go Division I. UND continuing to remain division II has made recruiting for Glas extremely difficult. When UND and NDSU are up for the same players in hoops NDSU, sadly, will almost always and this is starting to show on the court. The Division I tag is much more attractive to male athletes especially since unlike WBB it would be impossible to sell a potential recruit on the chance to win a national championship in basketball at UND. Before we start heaping blame on Glas let's instead starting looking at some of the circumstances that are making it extremely difficult for him to put a competitive team on the floor.

So using that logic. How can a GF kid come back to GF and score more points than over half the team of UND. Is Minot St. D 1 now? Did I miss something??

I don't think going D1 is going to solve the problem here, it would only make it worse. There is NO WAY that UND should lose to Minot State or any of these DAC schools other than on a very off night. The sad thing is it seems that we seem to be having these off night on a consistant basis. Something must change and get these Men motivated. That is the Coaches job and he better start doing a better job of it or there should be changes made.

That wont happen. If the new boss wont get rid of a volleyball coach that has underachieved for 8 years, he will not get rid of coach Glas. But the new boss can get rid of a ticket manager that has worked at UND for 26 years and was one year and 3 months from full retirement, but wont do anything to a volleyball coach who has a track record like hers--JOKE!!!

That wont happen. If the new boss wont get rid of a volleyball coach that has underachieved for 8 years, he will not get rid of coach Glas. But the new boss can get rid of a ticket manager that has worked at UND for 26 years and was one year and 3 months from full retirement, but wont do anything to a volleyball coach who has a track record like hers--JOKE!!!

A big difference between the men's basketball situation and that of the volleyball program is that there have been, and will continue to be a lot of fans and alums who voice their displeasure to Buning about the state of the program. It will be very difficult for him to ignore, particularly given the fact that basketball SHOULD be a pretty good revenue producer. The longer this is allowed to go on, the fewer fans will be showing up.

• 2 weeks later...

In a season full of disappointments for the NCC, Omaha's performance thus far has to be the biggest disappointment of all. They were picked to win the league, and returned a lot of talent from last year, but are sitting at just 10-9 (1-2 in the NCC). I didn't expect that the loss of their coach would have this big of an effect, but apparently it did.

Winning the first couple of conference games surely doesn't mean we are going to be a contender, but it does make you wonder what this team woulod have been like if Koenig would have been healthy and Phillips would have stayed in school. Two very talented individuals would have helped the team a bunch.

Not making any excuses - we still shouldn't be losing to many of the teams we have lost to - especially at home!

In a season full of disappointments for the NCC, Omaha's performance thus far has to be the biggest disappointment of all. They were picked to win the league, ...

PSSSST ..... No, no, NO! Don't spin it that way. ;)

Spin it that UND just swept the pre-season pick to win the league. ;) ;)

I have to admit I was pretty down on Glas and the lads not too long ago. (I had the fork stuck in them.) This is a start. Are they tough enough to maintain it.

Winning the first couple of conference games surely doesn't mean we are going to be a contender, but it does make you wonder what this team woulod have been like if Koenig would have been healthy and Phillips would have stayed in school. Two very talented individuals would have helped the team a bunch.

Not making any excuses - we still shouldn't be losing to many of the teams we have lost to - especially at home!

Speaking of Koenig, this was in a Wayne Nelson Herald article yesterday:

UND's Tyler Koenig, who is sitting out the season with a knee injury, likely will need additional surgery on his knee before he can play again, according to Sioux coach Rich Glas.

The surgery would leave Koenig facing another seven to nine months of rehabilitation. Koenig, who has two seasons of eligibility remaining, still is hopeful he can play for UND next season. He has been practicing this season with the Sioux.

PSSSST ..... No, no, NO! Don't spin it that way. ;)

Spin it that UND just swept the pre-season pick to win the league. :D;)

I have to admit I was pretty down on Glas and the lads not too long ago. (I had the fork stuck in them.) This is a start. Are they tough enough to maintain it.

;) No spin intended. I'm just calling it like I see it, and Omaha has been a bust. I am glad the Sioux men are apparently improving, though. I didn't think there was any way we'd win an NCC road game this year, at least not against anybody aside from perhaps Augie.

These 2 wins are great for UND's confidence, and a win against USD really puts UND in a great position, but I won't get ahead of myself. The reasons for the improved play these past 2 games are really 2 fold IMO. 1) The rotation has really been cut down to 8 players, with the starters and Gutter, Harkins, and Wills off the bench. That really simplifies things on the court. 2) The play of Jimmy Hoy, Andy Wills, and Mike Gutter. Anyone who guards Hoy is frustrated because he is in constant motion and gets UND easy baskets on his cuts. Not only that, but he goes to the boards extremely hard, something that this team needs, and he has a good mid-range game despite his poor shooting the first 10 game sof the year. Wills has improved leaps and bounds since the start of the year IMO, and he is not afraid to do the dirty work which every team needs. And Mike Gutter has developed a better inside game. Early in the year it was all catch and shoot a turnaround. Now he is using countering moves on the block, taking the move the the defense gives him, and his FT% has really improved the past 6 games as he was below 50% earlier and is now at 63% His inside toughness has been better the past 2 games also, at least it sounded that way on the radio last night. One can only hope this play continues.

These 2 wins are great for UND's confidence, and a win against USD really puts UND in a great position, but I won't get ahead of myself. The reasons for the improved play these past 2 games are really 2 fold IMO. 1) The rotation has really been cut down to 8 players, with the starters and Gutter, Harkins, and Wills off the bench. That really simplifies things on the court. 2) The play of Jimmy Hoy, Andy Wills, and Mike Gutter. Anyone who guards Hoy is frustrated because he is in constant motion and gets UND easy baskets on his cuts. Not only that, but he goes to the boards extremely hard, something that this team needs, and he has a good mid-range game despite his poor shooting the first 10 game sof the year. Wills has improved leaps and bounds since the start of the year IMO, and he is not afraid to do the dirty work which every team needs. And Mike Gutter has developed a better inside game. Early in the year it was all catch and shoot a turnaround. Now he is using countering moves on the block, taking the move the the defense gives him, and his FT% has really improved the past 6 games as he was below 50% earlier and is now at 63% His inside toughness has been better the past 2 games also, at least it sounded that way on the radio last night. One can only hope this play continues.

Last night Doyle was huge 18 or 19 points out of the point is great and his freethrows kept it alive down the strech when others missed some he was a rock.

I hope that if The Sioux Men win Tonite, and They Could....That we give a little credit to the Boys and Coaching Staff....

and not feel that boy..! USD is having a down year.....?

What I meant by down year in the NCC is that in my opinion I don't think that we have the 2 or 3 powerhouse teams in the NCC like in years past, and that is fine with me, that gives teams who maybe had an average preseason to make some adjustments, maybe get healthy, get hot and make a run at a NCC title. Hats off to the sioux to win the second game of a home and home on the road, that just doesn't happen! Looks like they are having a little trouble tonite playing in the Grand Canyon (dakota dome) I will take splits on the road all year long!