SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all and all I thought the Men looked ok last night, Doyle played well, Caro Nobles played well, AIA's big men were tough, they were physical and knew how to score, that was the biggest problem UND had with the game and the two guards were nice players as well, defensively we need to get better and Shawn Swann is still figuring things out, where to be, which call is where I go where...all the new things a new player needs to get aquainted with...but all and all I thought it was a positive game, Ryp needs to get more touches if UND will be effective, which he will....

Wills has committed along with another forward from WS. They have a few more offers out, not sure if they will get any more commitments during the early signing period. Looking at a few different good JC big men who appear interested in UND.

Harkins (frosh redshirt) is performing so well in practice that they considered playing him this year but they will not do so. Having him and Doyle in the backcourt for the next few years should definitely be a plus.

Parks, Swan and Stoute all played well tonight in UND's win over Pulley. Pulley only dressed 7 players, so it was surprising to me that they were able to keep the game close. It appears that the Sioux will have a lot of offensive ability this season, but defensively they are really poor right now. I'd like to see an eight man rotation of Ryp, Lindahl, Parks, MJ, Nobles, Doyle, Swan and Stoute.

Anybody know who the kid was who was apparently on a recruiting visit?

Moorhead Park Christian (or is he at Fargo Oak Grove)? If it's the Gunhus I'm thinking of it's one of those two Christian high schools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gunhus is from Park Christian the same school as Austin Pennick (recently signed with NDSU).

The confusion might come in the fact that the two schools co-op in football and Pennick played football.

Kori Vernon and Grant Gunhus both had good visits this week-end, but don't think that Vernon will want to be that far from home.

Madison Memorial will rule WI HS basketball this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a post in a different thread also about Vernon not wanting to be this far from home. I can't help but wonder why he bothered to take an official visit to UND if that's the case?

Preseason media poll is out.  Interesting that the media has UND pegged 5th, St Cloud and USD curiously ahead of UND.  I can't say I see the logic, but it is only the media poll I guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of the media members must be absolutely clueless when you consider that somebody picked Mankato 6th, and somebody picked UMD 2nd! I have to think USD and St. Cloud were picked that high on reputation alone. With the talent UND has this year compared to everybody except Mankato and UNO, anything lower than 3rd will be a huge disappointment. Even 3rd would be a disappointment to me, but UND has had so much bad luck recently (Allen, Brandt, Austin's personal problems, last year's injuries, etc.) that it's hard to be too optimistic.

Since nobody else has commented on it, I guess I will--congrats to the Sioux men for making it to the championship game of the Disney tournament! On paper, those were two pretty good teams UND defeated. The best thing is, the defense must have been far better than what it was in the two exhibition games. UND vs. Barry (Florida) for the title today at 5:00 cst.

Another thing that I have found impressive is that the 2 lopsided wins have come with Evan Lindahl hardly playing due to foul trouble. In the 2 games combined, he has played about 30 out of a possible 80 minutes, and yet the Sioux have still cruised. The bench play has been very solid as well, not many mistakes from Doyle, Swann, AJ, Stoute, or Wells, and AJ played a whale of a game last night hitting open shots and rebounding well while Lindahl was out. Turnovers have been largely a non-factor, as has the defensive pressure the 2 teams have applied which in the past 5 years has given UND fits when applied. 2 very impressive wins against teams that boast impressive resumes. I thought that it may take 5-10 games for the men to find their stride, and I am happy to say I was mistaken to this point. Next Fri and Sat should be interesting against Wayne and Lake Superior. 3 old faces will be back in Rico, Mike Fitzner and Brady Larson.

I attended the final two UND games of the tourney. We looked very good against Henderson. They had a lot of talent but played totally selfish ball. We played good team ball and controlled the game throughout. All of our guys looked good!

Last night, we played a bunch of very talented athletes who were well-coached. They were very quick and played great defense. We had a hard time getting our game going offensively due to their quickness. Lindahl and Ryp didn't get a lot of minutes due to foul trouble and the type of game it was. Wells really played well in their absence and Jake played pretty good as well.

I think we will have a good season. Watching the players on the floor and on the bench, it appears that everyone gets along well. If we had a 6'6"-6'7" power forward out there with Ryp and Lindahl, we would really be tough. Doyle is going to be a dandy - very talented, very confident!

If we stay healthy, it should be a good year. Not sure about winning the conference - Mankato is going to be very tough!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see Richie Glas is up to old tricks again as the men got hammered by Bemidji St on Wed night. The boys trailed by about 10 most of the second half to a team that was 0-3 against NCC teams so far and lost to Augie by 25. Bemidji returned 3 players total this year and I don't believe they were any of the studs. What kind of excuses does he have this time? When will the people in charge finally realize it is time for him to go? How many losses to Bemidji, Mary,Minot and Moorhead can we take? Glas stated in the paper that the team didn't play with any heart...well isn't that a refelection of the coaches,that has happened way to many times over the past 10 years. Jeff Glas only has one more year left! :ohmy: After that, maybe UND has no reason to keep the old man around.

I too was very disappointed in yet another loss to Bemidji. It appears that this year's team will be talented enough to beat anyone on a given night, particularly at home, but will also likely lose a lot of road games. I'm afraid that there could be another really embarrassing loss on the horizon since we play at Crookston again pretty soon, and that usually seems to be an adventure despite the fact that UMC is never any good.

Even though beating Kearney was a nice accomplishment, it seemed as though the Sioux tried very hard to blow that game after building a 17-18 point lead in the second half. Twice down the stretch UND failed to even get off a shot on key possessions, and there were a number of missed free throws.

Yes, that inability to get shots off during the last possession has been a dominant trait of Glas teams over the years. And lets not think of the Kearney win as a big one yet as they were missing two suspended starters. It looks like a typical mens team.....can play and beat anyone in the country and can also look like a D3 team that hasn't played together before.

Yes, that inability to get shots off during the last possession has been a dominant trait of Glas teams over the years.  And lets not think of the Kearney win as a big one yet as they were missing two suspended starters.  It looks like a typical mens team.....can play and beat anyone in the country and can also look like a D3 team that hasn't played together before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I didn't know they were missing anybody. It seemed to me like Kearney would have struggled against a zone since all they seemed to do was go one-on-one on every possession. I know some coaches (Glas and Roebuck in particular) really hate to play zone, but it has its place. God knows the UND women will face it a lot this year with their wildly inconsistent outside shooting.

Someone on the "MinnesotaPreps.com" website stated that Gunhus has made his college decision but didn't say what it is. Does anyone know? He got off to a good start - 37 in his first game. (Pennick scored 10 - he was in foul trouble.)

I know UND is trying to get him to walk on - they would likely give him a 1/4 scholarship if he committed.

Did someone say "Crookston"?

UMC stuns Augie

The UM-Crookston men's basketball team, 4-23 a year ago, is halfway to matching that win total just four games into the season.

The Golden Eagles have a 2-2 record, recording wins over Augustana College and Minot State and losses to St. Cloud State and Valley City State.

The win against Augustana was a big one, since the Vikings were undefeated at the time. But behind Bagley's Matt Hoie, a transfer from Fergus Falls Community College, the Golden Eagles shocked Augustana 90-88.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/10300108.htm

Did someone say "Crookston"?

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/10300108.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a pretty sad commentary on the basketball program when we're legitimately concerned about losing to a 2-2, traditionally terrible, 4-scholarship program, in an empty gym, having to travel for all of a half hour. I'm really not a pessimist by nature, but that Bemidji loss has absolutely killed my enthusiasm for the season. I'll still go to all the games, but the excitement just isn't there since the team doesn't have any fire or emotion. No matter how loyal a fan someone is, you can really only take so many of these losses to programs with a fraction of the talent, scholarships and resources that UND has. Thank God for the women's program. Even though I expect this to be something of a down year by Roebuck's standards, they'll still probably win close to 25 games.