SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiring a new coach is really the only thing that may stop the exodus of fans after the women's game. I don't think wins and losses are the main issue. Give me a team that plays hard, plays with some emotion and has a good scheme which results in somebody getting a quality shot most offensive possessions. Fans can get behind a team like that even if they're not necessarily the most talented, and even if their record isn't necessarily spectacular. With UND, either there's not a very good scheme, or else the players just don't run it properly. I suspect it's the former.

The more I think about it, the more opposed I am to waiting until the division I move has been officially announced to start a search for a new coach. We all know that barring some kind of miracle, we're going. I'm sure most coaches in the upper midwest who have any familiarity whatsoever with UND know it, too. Delaying things another year just sets us back that much further. The program is in desperate need of a shot in the arm. Keeping the status quo is not going to get it done.

Craig Smith and Craig Irwin have been mentioned as possibilities from the area. How about other coaches from the NCC? I'm thinking of Margenthaler from Mankato in particular.

Hiring a new coach is really the only thing that may stop the exodus of fans after the women's game. I don't think wins and losses are the main issue. Give me a team that plays hard, plays with some emotion and has a good scheme which results in somebody getting a quality shot most offensive possessions. Fans can get behind a team like that even if they're not necessarily the most talented, and even if their record isn't necessarily spectacular. With UND, either there's not a very good scheme, or else the players just don't run it properly. I suspect it's the former.

The more I think about it, the more opposed I am to waiting until the division I move has been officially announced to start a search for a new coach. We all know that barring some kind of miracle, we're going. I'm sure most coaches in the upper midwest who have any familiarity whatsoever with UND know it, too. Delaying things another year just sets us back that much further. The program is in desperate need of a shot in the arm. Keeping the status quo is not going to get it done.

Craig Smith and Craig Irwin have been mentioned as possibilities from the area. How about other coaches from the NCC? I'm thinking of Margenthaler from Mankato in particular.

92,96 - I don't disagree with the vast majority of your points but, until our future is more in stone, I think the pool of potential candidates would vary a great deal depending on if we were headed towards DI or staying DII. I do agree that there are likely some very good candidates who would be interested in the job either way but I just don't think UND will make a move now. I may be wrong.

Despite his success, I would be opposed to Margenthaler. He has alienated a lot of his players over the last couple of years - I don't think he is well-respected among his peers either. I am out of the area - refresh my memory, who are Smith and Irwin? Is one of them the former coach at Jamestown College who was very successful. He moved on as an assistant somewhere and, I understand, would be very interested in our job.

92,96 - I don't disagree with the vast majority of your points but, until our future is more in stone, I think the pool of potential candidates would vary a great deal depending on if we were headed towards DI or staying DII. I do agree that there are likely some very good candidates who would be interested in the job either way but I just don't think UND will make a move now. I may be wrong.

Despite his success, I would be opposed to Margenthaler. He has alienated a lot of his players over the last couple of years - I don't think he is well-respected among his peers either. I am out of the area - refresh my memory, who are Smith and Irwin? Is one of them the former coach at Jamestown College who was very successful. He moved on as an assistant somewhere and, I understand, would be very interested in our job.

I can't completely discount the rationale for waiting, but I just don't want to feel as though we're throwing next season completely away by retaining the current regime for yet another season.

Craig Smith is the current Mayville State head coach and a UND grad. He's only been a head coach for two years, so he'd be something of a gamble, but I figure if a guy can win in Mayville, North Dakota, he can win anywhere. He was also a Tim Miles assistant for awhile.

Craig Irwin is the head coach of ND State College of Science. He's been very successful there. I believe his winning percentage is over .800 during his six years there. Somebody on this board mentioned that he's related to Roebuck, but I don't know that for certain. Normally I wouldn't be too enthused about a juco coach, but we did do pretty well the last time a UND basketball program hired somebody from the juco ranks (Roebuck).

The ex-Jamestown College coach is Brad Huse. He would also be a good candidate if he's interested in coming back to North Dakota.

I can't completely discount the rationale for waiting, but I just don't want to feel as though we're throwing next season completely away by retaining the current regime for yet another season.

Smith is Craig Smith, current Mayville State head coach and a UND grad. He's only been a head coach for two years, so he'd be something of a gamble, but I figure if a guy can win in Mayville, North Dakota, he can win anywhere. He was also a Tim Miles assistant for awhile. Irwin is Craig Irwin, head coach of ND State College of Science. He's been very successful there. Somebody on this board mentioned that he's related to Roebuck, but I don't know that for certain. Normally I wouldn't be too enthused about a juco coach, but we did do pretty well the last time a UND basketball program hired somebody from the juco ranks (Roebuck).

The ex-Jamestown College coach is Brad Huse. He would also be a good candidate if he's interested in coming back to North Dakota.

Thanks for the insight!

By the way, I fully agree with your comment regarding "throwing away" next season. We are 3-4 players away from being a respectable team - especially with losing most of our scoring. Koenig will help and I understand Bledsoe will contribute but with only a couple of scholarships available, it may be another long season!

I just heard Rich Glas say on the radio that Travis Bledsoe who is our top redshirt freshman is having surgery and probably won't be able to play next year. Is this program cursed or what.

Holy sh%# - whether you think Rich should move on or not, you have to admit that he hasn't gotten a break of any kind the last couple of years!!

If a coach is going to resign or get fired when does that usually happen? summer time, end of season?

It would normally happen shortly after the season. If nothing has happened by the weekend of the final four (division I), I suspect Glas will be back again next year.

83-67 USD

Final

That was a MERCY KILLING!! (thanks 'yotes! :blink: )

This has been an INCREDIBLY MISERABLE SEASON for Sioux Mens BB - and unfortunately - the PLAYERS have had to bear the brunt of it...sad...and NOT GOOD for the program long term...TIME FOR A CHANGE!!! NOW!!

Well, (thankfully) that's over.

I have all the respect in the world for Rich Glas and what he's achieved, but it may be time to more the program in a new direction.

Now we just need the NAIA playoffs to end so Buning can take a drive 30 miles south on I-29 and then turn west at Exit 111 and go another 10 miles (to talk to a person there to take over the UND MBB program).

Well, (thankfully) that's over.

I have all the respect in the world for Rich Glas and what he's achieved, but it may be time to more the program in a new direction.

Now we just need the NAIA playoffs to end so Buning can take a drive 30 miles south on I-29 and then turn west at Exit 111 and go another 10 miles (to talk to a person there to take over the UND MBB program).

We can only hope that Buning is thinking along the same lines.

I just heard Rich Glas say on the radio that Travis Bledsoe who is our top redshirt freshman is having surgery and probably won't be able to play next year. Is this program cursed or what.

I heard it is a knee problem, but does anyone know what exactly? Something that he can come back from easily? Or was it bad such as blown ACL and MCL's?