SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

It's kind of a scary proposition that not only are we down right now, but we're starting three seniors who are pretty clearly three of our best players. Next year's team could be even younger than this year's, as there will apparently be no seniors at all, and a whole bunch of freshmen will likely need to play immediately. It's just very, very hard to be optimistic about the immediate future of this program. ;)

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just need a new coach because then we would have something to look forward to with a new system and a future for the program. As it is right now it seems as though the men's team is a sinking ship and the only way to save it is to make a drastic change (read new head coach).

We just need a new coach because then we would have something to look forward to with a new system and a future for the program. As it is right now it seems as though the men's team is a sinking ship and the only way to save it is to make a drastic change (read new head coach).

I have to think that at this point, even those who aren't ready to say that Rich SHOULD be let go/re-assigned would have to acknowledge that somebody else will likely be coaching the UND men's basketball team next year. I think it's economic reality that something needs to be done to get people excited about the program again. Interest may be at an all-time low right now. I grew up going to these games and have been a season ticket holder for years, but I have to admit that it's very difficult to make myself actually attend unless there's also a women's game.

It's kind of a scary proposition that not only are we down right now, but we're starting three seniors who are pretty clearly three of our best players. Next year's team could be even younger than this year's, as there will apparently be no seniors at all, and a whole bunch of freshmen will likely need to play immediately. It's just very, very hard to be optimistic about the immediate future of this program. ;)

Maybe he plans on going after more JUCOs.

Has anyone been informed of Koenig redshirting this season? Because according to Koenig himself as well as the assistant coaches, Koenig will indeed redshirt this season. Word was he was currently around 50% while practicing, so it didn't make much sense to try and bring him back this year.

Has anyone been informed of Koenig redshirting this season? Because according to Koenig himself as well as the assistant coaches, Koenig will indeed redshirt this season. Word was he was currently around 50% while practicing, so it didn't make much sense to try and bring him back this year.

Koenig will not play this year. A request for a medical redshirt has been made (which will be approved).

I just hope he does recover - he has some real problems with both knees!

Going back to the missed players that UND should have.....

Craig Nelson 4 TO' this year.........4...in 8 games!======FLOOR GENERAL!!!!

Very easy to criticize after the fact. Yes, Nelson put up really good numbers at May Port CG, but was he better then Tommy Leikas at the time? If I'm not mistaken too, Mr. Leikas had to walk on to UND as well. After watching both of them play numerous games in HS, you would have almost had to flip a coin to see which one would be more successful at the college level. I just don't think Craig Nelson is better then Tommy.

Very easy to criticize after the fact. Yes, Nelson put up really good numbers at May Port CG, but was he better then Tommy Leikas at the time? If I'm not mistaken too, Mr. Leikas had to walk on to UND as well. After watching both of them play numerous games in HS, you would have almost had to flip a coin to see which one would be more successful at the college level. I just don't think Craig Nelson is better then Tommy.

To me in high school is wasn't even close. Nelson was a better all around player. Tommy led a very good North team to a great season, but as a next level player some things didn't equate. He wasn't a true point. He didn't pass a whole lot, rarely led a transition opportunity where he didn't score. Also, his shot is slow. He is a fantastic shooter, it looks odd, but it's a great shot. The problem is, at the college level his release must be quicker. I think he's realized that now, and doesn't force it as much as I thought he would.

Nelson in HS was a complete player that made everyone around him better, heck he even got Kyle Nelson a DII scholorship. That kid isn't a scholorship player if not for height. He led transition opportunities and looked to the wing. He played terrific team and helpside D and was money down the strech when it was needed. He was a player that could've done what he wanted when he wanted but was a true team leader and floor general first and a scorer second.

I guess these are my opinions after watch both of them quite a bit during HS. Arguements could be that they played a different levels. I guess when I watched them though....I felt that Nelson was going to be very solid. Plus he's the son of a great coach.....he knows the game very well. My last example is of the Lion's game Nelson's senior year. He clearly showed he was the best player on the floor. Koenig was there too and it wasn't even close. If you had to start a team from those 24 kids, you would've had to start with Nelson every time.....again just my opinion.

According to this week's fightingsioux.com basketball release, Rich needs five more wins to break Gunther's record. Will he do it? I'm thinking that winning the home game vs. Bemidji will be imperative, because after that the only really good chances for wins may be Minot State, Upper Iowa and the home game vs. Augie.

Per the box score, Lindahl was scoreless and only played 7 minutes. Did he get hurt? If so, a long season will likely turn into a exceeding long season!

I only listened to bits and pieces of the game, but from what I could gather after the fact, he was injured. I have no idea as to what extent. Notwithstanding the six wins, this is shaping up to be an historically bad season. Just once since 1960 has a UND team failed to reach at least 10 wins, and that was Glas's first year. I'd be very surprised if this team can win as many as four more games the way things are looking right now.

Lindahl's knee is not going to get any better this year. Playing 5 games in 10 days is too much for him. He rarely practices anymore just to get some minutes in games. Harkins also has very sore legs, too. Believed to be shin splints. 10 wins would be a major feat for this team.

It has been a very difficult year when you look at the preseason roster and the potential was there for a respectable year. Then the defections and injuries hit hard and the season all of the sudden is a disaster.

I am much more optimistic about the future of this program now than last spring, when the Sioux fizzled out with what should have been a team that at least makes the regionals and yet Glas still was able to keep his position. Every game now is one game closer to the end of the Glas era and one game closer to a hopeful new era. It seems UND needs to experience an absolutely horrible season in order to shake up the adminstration and galvanize what's left of men's BB boosters behind a new coach.

With the new Betty, Glas had more recruiting potential for getting the right players on the court than ever. While injuries are not predictable, past performance, lack of passion, and JC departures are. The future of this program is in the hands of Buning, Harmeson, and Kup.

Lindahl's knee is not going to get any better this year. Playing 5 games in 10 days is too much for him. He rarely practices anymore just to get some minutes in games. Harkins also has very sore legs, too. Believed to be shin splints. 10 wins would be a major feat for this team.

It has been a very difficult year when you look at the preseason roster and the potential was there for a respectable year. Then the defections and injuries hit hard and the season all of the sudden is a disaster.

Clearly UND would have been better this year had Koenig and Lindahl been 100%. But it's still quite disturbing that two injuries have turned us into a team that would struggle to beat anybody aside from perhaps Trinity Bible College. My question is this: how does the state of the basketball program right now compare to:

1. The end of the Gunther era in the mid-to-late 80's?

2. The hockey program at the end of the Gino era?

3. The football program at the end of the Behrns era?

My personal opinion is that things are worse right now than in any of the above situations. Injuries are a part of sports and you have to roll with the punches. I don't believe injuries even begin to explain or excuse the depths we've sunk to. Going back 10-20 years, who would have fathomed it would be possible we could lose to Mayville, Moorhead and Bemidji, and get pushed to the limit at home by Mary and Valley City, all in one season?

I agree that things are about as low as they can go. I don't think Mr. Bunning will be very patient with this kind of record. With the way the women are playing ,you put a very good men's team in the mix and all of the sudden the Betty could be full.

When I first saw Coach Glas give a short speech to some jr. high kids in the late 80's I thought " what ever he is selling ,I'm buying". He was that good of a motivator. It is obvious that he can't get that kind of response from his players anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was terminated or kept his job for one more year as Bunning has no track record here yet as to letting go of coaches whose programs are struggling

I agree that things are about as low as they can go. I don't think Mr. Bunning will be very patient with this kind of record. With the way the women are playing ,you put a very good men's team in the mix and all of the sudden the Betty could be full.

When I first saw Coach Glas give a short speech to some jr. high kids in the late 80's I thought " what ever he is selling ,I'm buying". He was that good of a motivator. It is obvious that he can't get that kind of response from his players anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was terminated or kept his job for one more year as Bunning has no track record here yet as to letting go of coaches whose programs are struggling

Unfortunately, Buning is going to have some decisions to make in that regard. On the men's side, basketball and track/cross country are not doing well at all. Certainly the lack of an adequate indoor track greatly hurts track, but it still needs to do better than it has been in recent years. On the women's side, volleyball and softball seem to be under-achieving, particularly in volleyball which has many of the same advantages UND basketball has in terms of funding and facilities.

I was reading "SIOUX ILLUSTRATED" last week, the new BB focus issue.

It alluded that Rich was very close to being the all-time wins leader as a UND coach.

Is he hanging on to get that and then .... ?

I certainly don't pretend to know what he's thinking, but I've noticed a lot--and perhaps even an inordinate amount--of "next year" talk in his radio interviews. He definitely talks like somebody who fully expects to be back next year.

I certainly don't pretend to know what he's thinking, but I've noticed a lot--and perhaps even an inordinate amount--of "next year" talk in his radio interviews. He definitely talks like somebody who fully expects to be back next year.

I've heard the same thing in his radio talks. I have no question that he plans on being back next year.

I tried to listen to the coaches' show tonight, but I was in a location where reception came and went. In any event, I thought I heard Rich actually acknowledge for one of the first times about how the public is really down on his program. Did anybody else hear what he was saying in the last 5-10 minutes of his segment?