SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may or may not affect Sioux men's basketball, but is interesting nonetheless. Haven't seen any UND press release to confirm.

University of Belize Bballer’s to train at UND

http://new.channel5belize.com/archive_deta...?story_id=15361

But another crowning achievement of the university didn't start out in the classroom, rather the basketball court. Thanks to a memorandum of understanding signed between the University of North Dakota and U.B., local ballers will get a chance to earn a degree and rack up points on the scoreboard. We understand twelve Belizean students have already been recruited and their counterparts from the U.S. are scheduled to arrive in January.

What radio station are the coaches shows on, and what nights are the women's and men's shows.

It's on Wednesday nights at 6:30, usually on both 1440 AM and 96.1 FM. Glas, Roebuck and Hakstol are all on unless there's a bball game. Last night, the women were playing on 96.1, so the coaches's show was only on 1440.

This may be the worst the NCC has been in recent memory. Everybody has at least three losses except USD, who is playing their usual weak non-conference schedule. Duluth looked pretty good for awhile, but just lost at home to Southwest State. Aside from the obvious of losing teams to dI, what has happened to this league? I realize most teams were senior-dominated last year, but whatever happened to reloading? The NCC's record vs. the NSIC is basically .500 right now. Is the NSIC really getting better, or is it just a matter of the NCC getting that much worse?

Seriously, what's it take to have a good BB team? Three guys? Maybe?

Those "three guys" used to be on six or seven guys exclusively on NCC rosters. Now they are going for playing time on NCC and NSIC rosters.

The thing I find perplexing, though, is that considering the scholarship advantage for the NCC vs. the NSIC should be roughtly equal for the men's programs AND the women's programs, why is it that on the women's side, the NCC has a 20-5 record vs. the NSIC, whereas the men are roughly .500 vs. that conference? I just don't see why it is that the women have more or less been able to maintain their dominance over the NSIC (and the DAC and other NAIA programs) over the years, but on the men's side, there's not much difference anymore. I'm not sure there's really any one answer, but it's hard to believe how far the NCC has fallen in men's basketball.

The thing I find perplexing, though, is that considering the scholarship advantage for the NCC vs. the NSIC should be roughtly equal for the men's programs AND the women's programs, why is it that on the women's side, the NCC has a 20-5 record vs. the NSIC, whereas the men are roughly .500 vs. that conference? I just don't see why it is that the women have more or less been able to maintain their dominance over the NSIC (and the DAC and other NAIA programs) over the years, but on the men's side, there's not much difference anymore. I'm not sure there's really any one answer, but it's hard to believe how far the NCC has fallen in men's basketball.

Is there much of a difference in scholorships anymore? I mean think of basketball in comparison with Football. In basketball you need to have three guys that can put the ball in the hoop and a handful of roll players. Football you need to have way more studs. ......I think the NSIC is catching up because you don't need as many tough players as you do in football.....it's a numbers game. You can divey up scholorships easier in basketball amongst those roll players and give your studs the full rides.

I also believe that the NCC was never that dominate of a conference for men's basketball. Not on the national scale. UND has had many very good teams and for a good period dominated the NCC. SDSU had a great run, but their gone. NDSU had a year or two but competitive for the most part....also gone. UNC never really much, much like SU....gone. UNO has never struck me as a basketball power, USD has 10 outright titles but what on the national scale? Augustana is completly rebuilding but not really dominate ever. UMD is new to the league. Mankato has been really solid as of late but yet to win an outright title.

The NCC only has 9 final four finishes in it's history----only three of those still remain in the conference and two are UND's. I think we have to realize that the NCC has not gotten any better, probably has gone down in quality with the loss of the SU's etc....The NSIC has gotten much better, recruited better, committed more money and have made up the difference. The NCC is not what it once was and the NSIC etc... have caught up!

NCC record link

Is there much of a difference in scholorships anymore? I mean think of basketball in comparison with Football. In basketball you need to have three guys that can put the ball in the hoop and a handful of roll players. Football you need to have way more studs. ......I think the NSIC is catching up because you don't need as many tough players as you do in football.....it's a numbers game. You can divey up scholorships easier in basketball amongst those roll players and give your studs the full rides.

A Southwest State fan on the d2football.com board said they're at something like 6 scholarships. Maybe they're an aberration, but I strongly suspect the majority of teams are probably at least a few scholies below 10. And again, I realize men's and women's basketball are very different since this area produces so many more good girl players, but you would still think that the gap between the NCC and NSIC should be comparable for men and women. It's definitely not. The NSIC typically has a couple of legit women's teams, but that's it.

I also believe that the NCC was never that dominate of a conference for men's basketball. Not on the national scale. UND has had many very good teams and for a good period dominated the NCC. SDSU had a great run, but their gone. NDSU had a year or two but competitive for the most part....also gone. UNC never really much, much like SU....gone. UNO has never struck me as a basketball power, USD has 10 outright titles but what on the national scale? Augustana is completly rebuilding but not really dominate ever. UMD is new to the league. Mankato has been really solid as of late but yet to win an outright title.

The NCC only has 9 final four finishes in it's history----only three of those still remain in the conference and two are UND's. I think we have to realize that the NCC has not gotten any better, probably has gone down in quality with the loss of the SU's etc....The NSIC has gotten much better, recruited better, committed more money and have made up the difference. The NCC is not what it once was and the NSIC etc... have caught up!

NCC record link

The NCC was never dominant on a national scale, but it was once known for having a lot of good teams. Maybe not teams that could win a national title, but a lot of good teams nonetheless. It's gotten to the point where it's a rarity for an NCC team to make the Elite 8. Certainly Metro State has had a lot to do with it since they hired their current coach with all the Aussie contacts, but the NSIC has had a couple of Elite 8 teams since the last NCC one, and that really shouldn't happen IMO.

A Southwest State fan on the d2football.com board said they're at something like 6 scholarships. Maybe they're an aberration, but I strongly suspect the majority of teams are probably at least a few scholies below 10. And again, I realize men's and women's basketball are very different since this area produces so many more good girl players, but you would still think that the gap between the NCC and NSIC should be comparable for men and women. It's definitely not. The NSIC typically has a couple of legit women's teams, but that's it.

The NCC was never dominant on a national scale, but it was once known for having a lot of good teams. Maybe not teams that could win a national title, but a lot of good teams nonetheless. It's gotten to the point where it's a rarity for an NCC team to make the Elite 8. Certainly Metro State has had a lot to do with it since they hired their current coach with all the Aussie contacts, but the NSIC has had a couple of Elite 8 teams since the last NCC one, and that really shouldn't happen IMO.

Why shouldn't it happen?...There were maybe 4 elitle arenas for recruiting in the NCC...But places like Augie, and Morningside were like HS Gyms...They have the resources now in The NISC...Not only for Scholarships but are upgrading there Faclities as well...With the loss of the SU's I think it will be hard to ever dominate in BBAll like we have in FB...Agreed "Coaching" is a big Part Look what Mac did at Wayne a few years back was unbelieveable......

Why shouldn't it happen?...There were maybe 4 elitle arenas for recruiting in the NCC...But places like Augie, and Morningside were like HS Gyms...They have the resources now in The NISC...Not only for Scholarships but are upgrading there Faclities as well...With the loss of the SU's I think it will be hard to ever dominate in BBAll like we have in FB...Agreed "Coaching" is a big Part Look what Mac did at Wayne a few years back was unbelieveable......

Miles also took SW Minnesota St to the Elite 8 a few years ago.

Facilities are great for fans and revenue, however Coaching is much more important in getting W's.

I realize the numbers from the OPE site are by no means 100% reliable, but I thought this was interesting, anyway. I've ranked all the teams in the NCC and NSIC based upon how much they reportedly spend on their men's basketball program according to the most recent numbers available:

1. UND $711,657

2. UNO $420,417

3. Augie $413,732

4. SCSU $363,632

5. Mankato $352,150

6. Northern $341,570

7. UMD $338,672

8. USD $329,740

9. Southwest MN $310,250

10. Concordia-SP $284,693

11. Wayne $248,549

12. Bemidji $216,053

13. Moorhead $199,121

14. Winona $190,023

15. UMC $158,220

Again, these numbers may or may not be truly accurate, but they were reported to the federal government, so I would hope there's some basis for them. Clearly we're not getting our money's worth if the UND number is anywhere near accurate. And that holds true even if the "real" number is actually closer to what UNO and Augie are supposedly spending.

Could UND's # be artificially inflated due to "rent" expenses at the Betty? I'm sure there is a figure on paper but wonder if $$ actually change hands due to concessions or other incidentals at both the REA and the Betty.

If it's not that, what is UND spending an extra $300,000 on? :silly:

Could UND's # be artificially inflated due to "rent" expenses at the Betty? I'm sure there is a figure on paper but wonder if $$ actually change hands due to concessions or other incidentals at both the REA and the Betty.

If it's not that, what is UND spending an extra $300,000 on? :silly:

I can only assume the Betty expenses have something to do with the disproportionately large number, although in reality I don't understand the point of artificially inflating both the reported expenses AND the revenue for basketball (revenue is reported to be $640,000+). In any event, regardless of the "real" number, it appears the NCC schools are spending the most in general, without getting much bang for their buck, particularly when compared to Winona.

IMO, the NCC is still attracting plenty of women basketball recruits that are more than capable of playing mid-major DI ball, while the NCC men’s teams are not. Women are much less likely to be swayed by a DI label, because they aren’t as intoxicated by the DI Big Dance as the men are.

Although this year certainly appears to be a down year for NCC men’s basketball, there are probably a number of reasons why the NSIC is now almost as strong as the NCC.

- The proliferation of basketball and AAU camps makes it less likely that a talented kid would only get a DII scholarship when he had the capability to play DI at a mid-major. Kids that had mid-major DI talent used to find their way into the NCC. Now, out of region mid-major teams are recruting them.

- Twenty years ago, Minnesota and Wisconsin were considered ‘backwater’ areas for DI recrutiing . The number of Minnesota kids that used to get DI basketball scholarships was almost always less than five. Now its 10 or fifteen. Some of those overlooked used to find their way into the NCC.

- Newer DI schools like UW-Green Bay and even NDSU and SDSU are sucking up talent that formerly would have found their way into the NCC. Almost every freshman or red-shirt freshman on the NDSU roster from Minnesota would likely have been an NCC player twenty years ago. (and its doubtful they would have gone to NDSU).

IMO, there is less cream around for NCC schools, so the difference in recruit levels between the NCC and NSIC is much less. The NCC’s advantage in talent level can much more easily be overcome with coaching.

nice win for the men tonite-really came out to play,showed some heart and toughness, the beavers are as good as i can remember.....nice job sioux

BSU certainly has talent, but I can't help but wonder what their graduation rate has been since Gunther left? Sure, it's nice to have better talent and more wins, but is it worth it to bring in 8-10 new transfers every year in return for 17-18 wins per season? I believe 20 wins is the most they've had since they've gone to this virtually-all-transfer method of building a team. Maybe an argument can be made that there's nothing wrong with it, if a decent percentage of the players actually graduate, but if not, then no way. Glas and Hennessy were having an interesting conversation about that very thing last Wednesday night on the coaches' show, but unfortunately I only heard bits and pieces of it due to poor reception.

I totally agree...if you are going to struggle,I would much rather do it with area talent, they seem to fit better at our schools and in our community, we have had some great jr college kids, but for the most part, I do not feel they are worth the high risk of the Bad Apples that have not fit in....

Rico, Bo Powell,Frank Iverson,Jerome,(Hunter Berg doesn't count) in recent memory over the last 15-20 years have been the ones that have been good for the program......

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pretty interesting Herald article on the men's basketball season thus far, including some comments from Rich Glas regarding the heat he's feeling from fans:

"I understand fans and a lot of them would like to see me gone," said Glas, who is four wins away from breaking Dave Gunther's career coaching record at UND. "But I'm not in retirement mode."

I hope he is in the "getting fired mode" then. :lol:

Let's see here, you have a coach that has basically run a program into the ground. Think about the teams that UND now plays and struggles to beat (and many times lose to). UM Crookston, Minot, U of Mary, etc. Embarassing. The only success that Glas has had was when Guldseth and Vonesh dropped into his lap and when Beasley needed a place to play. I would not go watch this current garbage if tickets were given to me. All I know is that if I performed on my job like Glas has performed on his for the last 10 years, I would no longer have a job. There are performance expectations that must be met at my job. Why are there not expectations as a UND Mens BB coach?