SiouxSports.com Forum

UM @ UND (Saturday)

U2Bad1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gophers look like they are in midseason form and the Sioux are still searching for

a spark.  Let's face it, lucky to get two points this weekend, lucky to get out of  Mankato with points and really things need to gel on the offense of this will be a long and humbling season for the Sioux!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree we were lucky to get 2 points this weekend.Any time a team has 4,5 on 3's and you still come out with a win is very fortunate.It's to early to say it could be a long and humbling season.I just think it's going to take a little time to adjust to hakstols coaching methods.We know we have the talent so I would give it some time.It doesn't get any easier next weekend with BC.

Did UND hire the wrong coach?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aren't you jumping the gun on this? After the Maine series eveyone was singing his praises. I'll continue with my wait and see approach.

I was gone all weekend. Now I'm wondering if I even want to watch the games. Well Friday's anyways. :lol:

Watched both games on TV. MN looked awfully good. Yeah, maybe Lucia tinkered with a few players but come on, how could they lose to AA?

R Potulny is absolutely money with the puck. He also seemed to know exactly what he was going to do with the puck. Shoot for an upper corner, and he normally hit it. I never want to see him with the puck again in the offensive zone.

I'm struggling like everyone to understand what's up. Though we had a better showing on Friday neither night was I terribly impressed with the offensive flow and transition game our team had. Penalties can take their toll as in Friday's game, but on Sat it looked like the first game of the year.

I was thinking about this as I sat in the car for 5 hours today...Are the Sioux installing some new offensive systems that call for the defenseman to make a long first pass? Would that be why Woog was critical of Sioux forwards for not coming back to help out all weekend? I have no idea so am throwing this out there...Maybe we're asking our defenseman to do something new with the puck, and they are struggling to get it done effectively. It's the only rational answer for our horrible transition game. As some else noted, passes 2 feet behind all the time. No flow, no tape to tape full speed flow. I can't believe our forwards are consistently as "lazy" as Woog was criticizing them, so there must be another reason. This was all I could come up with.

There's no reason why the loss of Lundblohm, Hale, Parise and Bochenski should cause our transition game and ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone to vanish. We have enough guys who should be able to handle this. So what's up?

Radke looks like he's got a ways to go but is catching up and you could see some potential. Also nice to see he's not afraid to be physical.

Spirko is fantastic handling the puck in small areas. Really fun to watch. Zajac also looks strong, but Spirko might be the more dynamic player. Kaip looks real solid as well. Great freshman class. Looking forward to seeing Lammy play more too.

What did Canady do that he only got a shift or 2 in the first period and then sat until the game was out of hand in the 3rd? Or did I just miss him on TV?

I don't buy that our defenseman have to be that afraid of playing defense. Hit the guy with the puck, don't slash him, don't hook him, but get in front of him. Don't throw the stick out at the guy without the puck who's skating by you...

Looking for answers....

Aren't you jumping the gun on this? After the Maine series eveyone was singing his praises. I'll continue with my wait and see approach.

I was gone all weekend. Now I'm wondering if I even want to watch the games. Well Friday's anyways. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't stating it as a fact, rather it was a question for discussion. UND had a difficult time beating the teams that were not at the top under Blais. Maybe they needed some outside blood to get away from this problem. Maybe they players have no heart. As I said before, it was just meant to be a topic of discussion.

A little historical perspective, for those who are wondering "what's wrong with the Sioux".

... November 1996, at Mariucci, Gophers 10, Sioux 3.

We know who got the last laugh that year. I think this year will turn out the same.

Stuff happens. What's important at this stage of the season is how the coaches and team react to a little adversity.

A few more thoughts, like dagies I needed the drive time to digest it all.

First, the Friday comeback was one helluvan effort. I think its important to remember that we did a lot of things right during the last 30 minutes of Friday's game ... minimal stupid penalties, some of the homerun passes clicked, very few own zone turnovers, some very nice cycling, and in fact it was the Gophers that looked gassed and unable to mount a comeback Friday. When was the last time you saw the 3x5 guys beat the other team to the puck and ice it about 4 times?

A lot has been made about all the times Minnesota hit goal posts on Friday. I contend the Sioux had just as many "almost" "coulda shoulda" plays as the Gophers, including centering passes that hopped over a stick of a wide-open guy at the goalmouth, potential 2x1 s that turned into icing, and 1 of Minnesota's goals was set up by a "bad" bounce on a clearing attempt ... I think Friday was a game that could have gone either way, and I think we will be very glad come February to have those 2 points (and that MN doesn't).

As to Saturday, looked to my amateur eyes like Minnesota changed their forecheck, taking away the short passes, conceding the long bombs, and the Sioux failed to connect. I don't have enough fingers to count all the icings that were a failed long breakout pass.

The rest of Saturday? I expect the coaches to have "movie night" and come up with the adjustments for a March-April rematch, because if I'm Lucia I stick with what worked.

I only have one second guess, and that is the decision to start JPar on Saturday. He expended a tremendous effort Friday. From the get-go Saturday, he was fighting the puck.... it was a good call to bring Brandt in.

... while on the other end, every tip the Sioux did hit Briggs. He was good, but he was also lucky. Watch the film, count the deflections, it was just one of those nights.

On the bright side ...

... Radke got some quality time and a chance to show his stuff in situations where we needed offense. He shows flashes of brilliance, tremendously quick first two strides, good hands, just lacking experience playing this game at WCHA speeds.

... I loved Spirko's goal Friday. He's knocked down in front, and the only thing he can do is get the stick parallel to the goal mouth, flat on the ice, so when Smaby's low shot hits it, it tips up over Briggs right pad. What I'm wondering is how much was luck and how much is scoring genius at work ... probably both.

... Genoway had an outstanding game Friday, and some unlucky bounces Saturday. We need him to step up.

... Porter looked good both nights.

... Schneider had a good game Friday, and a gutsy Saturday, playing hurt.

On the concerns side ...

... refereeing inconsistency clearly messed with our Matts. Talk about your worst case scenario. What was a penalty Friday was not a penalty Saturday, and I think the Gophers read that sooner than we did (ie early in the game Saturday), and took advantage of it ... while our Matts were playing by Friday's rules, the Gophers were using sticks like it was last season to mess up play in our zone. I'll stop now on refereeing.

... Like dagies, I noticed Canady didn't get many shifts until the 3rd period Saturday. It looked like he missed an assignment coming back on a rush in the first period (which didn't cost us), but that's my amateur eyes.

Friday, and how we react, will tell a lot about this team. A win in BC would be nice, but its more important to get players on track, to find out which line chemistry works, because its 3 big BIG WCHA weekends in a row - CC, Wisco, St Cloud.

Coach needs to hold practice on Friday nights after the game......team looked like they were shaking off the bottle flu! I haven't seen passing like that since I watched my nephew's first mite game! I think this is going to be an ebb and flow year.....unless this team can pick up the idealogy of playing Friday and Saturday night with drive and dedication. Someone may be able to remind me, but I don't ever remember a series when the Saturday night game looked like Canisus vs. Avalanche!

I wanted to say the goaltending was less than stellar, but __ to 0 shows that it could have been 30 points scored by Minnesota with no difference.....no offense!

I'm still optimistic, as the season is long! However, and I hope I hold the attitude of the team, this should be a good wake-up call to reference prior to future games......Could be a long season at this rate otherwise!

Sioux still Rock, Gophers GOT LUCKY that the Sioux decided to leave the heart in the locker room!

Although it's hard to say, Briggs came up big when he needed to! Some of the saves were big, and this builds confidence for the team.

GO SIOUX :lol:

Although it's hard to say, Briggs came up big when he needed to!  Some of the saves were big, and this builds confidence for the team.

GO SIOUX :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though a shutout is nice, the night for Briggs to come up big was Friday. He didn't. As many previous posters indicated, it's long season. I didn't panic when last year when the Gophs were 2-7-1 and had been lit up badly by UND, UMD and Maine, you all shouldn't now.

Saturday wasn't much fun to watch. But I expect the team will improve.

I think maybe we were spoiled in Maine and led to temporarily forget how young the Sioux are. A full WCHA season will leave the Sioux once again in a position to win #8 (though I'm sure Minnesota will be better as well).

I think the Sioux could stand to watch alot of video of Minnesota's powerplay. Every year Minnesota has a good power play. We can't we?

It is nice though to be "disappointed" with a split of one of the best programs in hockey. It speaks to the quality we see year in and year out.

It just wasn't 1 bad game, we have had 4 in a row! In checking over the box scores from Maine to present, the Sioux have not had 1 game with 30+ shots on net and have been out shot over half of the games. To come out Saturday and play at 3/4 speed all night against the Gophers is inexcusable. There was absolutely no offensive flow to our game while the Goofs moved the puck as a unit all weekend. Defensively you can count on one hand the number of shots our D blocked, something Sioux hockey used to take pride in. Saturday night our Big 4 had exactly 2 shots on net through 2 periods! The Goofs were extemely well prepared(good coaching), seemed always to be in the right position and skated as a team while we looked very disorganized and more like a bunch of guys playing pick up hockey. The most disturbing thing was that there seemed to be no senior leadership out of our defensive corps of upper classmen. They seemed more interested in trying to knock someones block off than playing good position defense. The offense spent a lot of both nights not hustling on the back check. Maybe Doug Woog is right when he commented that the Sioux don't seem to have the speed or snap of past Sioux teams or maybe they were leg heavy.

Way to overreact, Goon. :lol:

Just think if our team had the same attitude...

"All right guys, we got beat bad in our own house, lets pack it up and get ready for next season"

Saturday's game was not decided between the pipes, so the goalies can't be blamed. Poor execution and intensity did, and clearly the Gophers wanted the win, so they came out and took it.

Big losses happen, and I think they're essential to building a strong team. They help motivate teams, and everyone can benefit from an early season beating like that. For instance take a look at Farce's score from 96 if you don't believe me. They were also a young team.

Like I said in another thread, just wait until we play MN in the playoffs. Think of the motivating factors, and tell me this team won't be salivating at that chance. Maybe we can be like MN last year, and have the last laugh in this rivalry for the year.

We're in great shape, lets not forget that. :silly:

Way to overreact, Goon. :lol:

Just think if our team had the same attitude...

"All right guys, we got beat bad in our own house, lets pack it up and get ready for next season"

We're in great shape, lets not forget that.  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No rube, I was saying that UND's attitude sucked and I was putting it into perspective. You seemed to not sobered up from the weekend yet? UND has been outshot in almost every game so far, were lucky to be 4-1-1. If we play the way we did against a good team ie, Duluth its going to be ugly...

One more thought:

How do we know that Maine, Minnesota, and North Dakota aren't 3/4 of the Columbus Four in April?

Relax, it's October. They (including the coaches) have time and motivation now. Let's see what they do with it.

Let this team develop its identity. Having lost some large personalities that may take a little time.

One more thought:

How do we know that Maine, Minnesota, and North Dakota aren't 3/4 of the Columbus Four in April?

Relax, it's October. They (including the coaches) have time and motivation now. Let's see what they do with it.

Let this team develop its identity. Having lost some large personalities that may take a little time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's not time. I have tickets for the CC series in two weeks. I don't want to watch the effort I saw on TV Saturday night. Then again I was at nearly every game in the the old (then new) arena at the end of the Rube era. A bad team, but the boys gave more effort than the show this weekend. The Gophs didn't even throw a forecheck at 'em, just back off to the blue line and receive the puck for another shot from the slot. Awful. Hard to blame the D, no forwards were in sight to pass to; where were they, at the Goph blue line, hoping for a bomb?

On the other hand, guess I'll have to give 'em time to adjust to the inconsistent boat load of penalties game.

The Gophs didn't even throw a forecheck at 'em, just back off to the blue line and receive the puck for another shot from the slot. Awful.

I guess it's not a laughing matter, but your succinct summation of UND's new breakout scheme has me chuckling.