SiouxSports.com Forum

Biggest Busts In D1 Era

northernraider

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Having to fund WIH, M&W swimming, and baseball because the Presidents before Kennedy didn’t have the balls to cut them.

Not quite sure UND football was ever fully funding anything. Including itself. 

On 2/23/2020 at 9:14 AM, Hawkster said:

I'm going to take this one step further back.   The biggest failure of D1 was doing nothing.  Kuppy and RT had their collective heads in the sand back in 2002 when NDSU and SDSU were agitating to move up.    That total lack of foresight put us so deep in the hole we have yet to recover.   And then the way they ridiculed the XDSU's for moving up only drove XDSU's to try even harder to make it a success.

In hindsight, this has proven to be true.   To be fair, I don't think anyone that was familiar with the NCC 20 years ago, including those from the XDSUs,  but especially those from the UXDs, would have imagined the level of DI success that was eventually realized by all 4 schools, especially NDSU in football.  UND was especially caught off guard because our flagship sport already had solid DI footing and success, and we didn't think the other stuff was necessary.  The real mistake was trying to replicate the men's hockey success to the women's side instead of building real DI football and basketball rosters.  It's definitely an "if only..." part of UND's past, but we are in a much better position today, and hopefully we're on a level playing field with the other Dakota schools ASAP.

As a student who just graduated in May 2019 and who has been at UND football games since 2000, easily the student section. Being through the hard times of late 2000s and early 2010s, I thought it would get better as the team has become more competitive and shown signs of becoming relevant, but these last few seasons have been very disappointing to me as I can continue to tailgate until almost kickoff and can get a great seat, but even the hockey student section can be disappointing when it isn't a game against Denver or Minnesota. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 2/23/2020 at 9:14 AM, Hawkster said:

I'm going to take this one step further back.   The biggest failure of D1 was doing nothing.  Kuppy and RT had their collective heads in the sand back in 2002 when NDSU and SDSU were agitating to move up.    That total lack of foresight put us so deep in the hole we have yet to recover.   And then the way they ridiculed the XDSU's for moving up only drove XDSU's to try even harder to make it a success.

tumblr_o3an8dNLOQ1v1s9fyo1_1280.gif

• 3 weeks later...