SiouxSports.com Forum

BIG bill would allow transfers with any year wait

SiouxVolley

I think if the rules change on this, these schools shouldn't be able to drop a kids scholarship for athletic performance alone.  Otherwise you're gonna see kids lose scholarships due to more transfer students coming in, and then the kids who lost their scholarship will then transfer and do the same to another kid, further compounding the issue.  Not sure how THAT is good for the student athletes.  Agree that it's BS that student's can't move as easily as their coaches, but I think their needs to be SOME disincentive to limit an abundance of transfers. 

Yep, lots of drawbacks to unhindered transfers and you guys have hit on a few of them.  I would put some restrictions on transfers but otherwise make it a much easier and smoother process.  I don't think it is good for the school, the program, or the student-athletes to allow unlimited, unhindered transfers.  I cannot imagine the amount of pressure that would put on everybody involved in college sports, athletes, coaches, ADs, etc.

-  Sometimes kids just choose the wrong school.  I would allow one transfer within the first two years of a student-athletes enrollment, no restrictions.

-  If there is a change in head coaches the student-athletes should be allowed to transfer, no restrictions.

-  If a player graduates they should be eligible to transfer, no restrictions.

-  If a player can show some sort of hardship that requires them to transfer to a school closer to home, this usually involves health/medical issues with the player's family.

Those are just a few reasonable reasons that players should be allowed a free transfer.  

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

-  Sometimes kids just choose the wrong school.  I would allow one transfer within the first two years of a student-athletes enrollment, no restrictions.

Agree with all of them outside of this one. Again, leans too close to the "minor league" system if someone shows up on campus and has a great first year or two and then is off to a bigger school. I completely understand the angle you are coming from on this one but I wouldn't change the transfer rule on this one.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Agree with all of them outside of this one. Again, leans too close to the "minor league" system if someone shows up on campus and has a great first year or two and then is off to a bigger school. I completely understand the angle you are coming from on this one but I wouldn't change the transfer rule on this one.

Roll the two years back to one year and there would be less "minor league" stuff going on as most freshman redshirt.  One year should give players enough time to know if they made the right college choice or not and if a transfer is necessary.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Roll the two years back to one year and there would be less "minor league" stuff going on as most freshman redshirt.  One year should give players enough time to know if they made the right college choice or not and if a transfer is necessary.

I'd mostly agree. Still might lose a few "diamonds in the rough" but I see that as a fair compromise. In the Summit/MVFC/Big Sky there have been impact true freshman that I could see still being poached but not a ton.

1 minute ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I would think that the SEC or Clemson would benefit more from this. With the exception of OSU, what other BIG schools would draw the best transfers.

Yes, it’s not just B1G, all of the P5 would like to find a way to take top players from FCS rosters.  

Unrestricted transfering would lead to a massive under the table kickback problem amplification.

Think its bad with the CHL stuff now... thats nothing compared to the arrogant B1g when they look down theit noses to pluck kids from the mankatos and other schools theybwill deem as "feeders".

Couple that with the paying of college athletes issue and its basically the nail in the coffin of collegiate athletics, especially hockey.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Every FCS school with a marquee talent just gulped and clinched up. 

• 3 months later...