SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye, Bye Bochenski

SIOUXPR

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to often you hear guys leaving their college teams before they have even signed a professional contract. To me this makes no sense. There has to be more to this than has come out. Ottawa is in the driver's seat know they can say take it or leave it. The negotiation has pretty much been taken out of it.

Not to often you hear guys leaving their college teams before they have even signed a professional contract. To me this makes no sense. There has to be more to this than has come out. Ottawa is in the driver's seat know they can say take it or leave it. The negotiation has pretty much been taken out of it.

Didn't this happen to RJ Umberger (sp?) from Ohio State a year or two ago? He left school early to get signed and Vancouver (I think) never signed him. Hopefully Bo will get a contract soon.

Considering the Sens' site is updated through today, and has other references to other signings, I doubt USCHO's veracity, again. It would suck for Money if Ottawa decides not to agree to the terms he laid out before training camp opens next month.

Considering the Sens' site is updated through today, and has other references to other signings, I doubt USCHO's veracity, again. It would suck for Money if Ottawa decides not to agree to the terms he laid out before training camp opens next month.

I'm sure the USCHO article read, Bo signed yesterday; however, it now says this:

Brandon Bochenski, a 2004 Hobey Baker Award finalist, made it official yesterday, telling his coaches he is leaving school with the intention of soon signing with the NHL's Ottawa Senators

Did anyone else notice a change in the online article or was I seeing things earlier? I believe USCHO changed the story since I first posted the link.

I'm sure the USCHO article read, Bo signed yesterday; however, it now says this:

Did anyone else notice a change in the online article or was I seeing things earlier? I believe USCHO changed the story since I first posted the link.

You weren't seeing things. Bo better hope he has signed, because any leverage he had before today is certainly not in place now. Maybe it was intended to come out like this ... :p

Yep. When I read it earlier, the article definitely stated Money had signed, not just that he was leaving school.

Morons. :p

Yep. When I read it earlier, the article definitely stated Money had signed, not just that he was leaving school.

Morons. ???

Funny indeed,

I also read that they reported he had signed and emailed the editors at five when I left work. I just told them that once again the were propagating a myth and may want to check their facts. This isn't the first.. tenth or last time they'll do this. Is USCHO owned by USA Hockey or the Inquirer? I get my real news from INCH.

Sorry PCM, no hard feelings. :(

Morons. ???

Funny indeed,

I also read that they reported he had signed and emailed the editors at five when I left work. I just told them that once again the were propagating a myth and may want to check their facts. This isn't the first.. tenth or last time they'll do this. Is USCHO owned by USA Hockey or the Inquirer? I get my real news from INCH.

Sorry PCM, no hard feelings. :(

Does it really matter at this point if he signed or not? It appears that Bochenski is gone regardless of whether he has signed. Throwing stones is not going to change that fact.

Well...maybe not.

What if he hasn't or doesn't sign? What if the NHL has a lockout?

If he doesn't sign, wouldn't he still be eligible to enroll in January for the second semester?????

What's the rules on that?

Plus they have the local reporters like PCM that are more knowledgeable about their team then the national reporters.

Thanks for noticing, jloos. I dare say that I have provided more Sioux hockey news items and feature stories to USCHO than INCH could ever hope to by covering the program from afar.

From an AP story on the matter:

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - Brandon Bochenski, the most prolific scorer for the University of North Dakota hockey team the past two years and one of the top players in the country, is turning pro.

"I'm getting old; it's time to move on," the 22-year-old said Wednesday. "I had two good seasons (at UND). I'm ready to try the next level."

Sioux coach Dave Hakstol said Bochenski officially told the staff this week that he would not be returning to school in Grand Forks, but coaches have been preparing for his departure since last season ended. Bochenski also said he made it clear to the staff that he likely would not be back for his final season.

"He's been very upfront," Hakstol said. "I think we saw this coming from mid-June probably, if not earlier. We've been able to factor that into our preseason and season planning. "You don't approach it as being a hit right now," he said.

The Blaine, Minn., native said he decided that he wanted to move to the next level even before former coach Dean Blais announced in June that he was leaving for an NHL job.

The prospect of a lockout looms over the upcoming NHL season because of a labor battle between the league and the players' association.

"The talk now is they'll probably play half the season," Bochenski said. "I can spend the first half of the season in the (minors) getting the experience, and when the NHL gets stuff figured out, hopefully I'll be given a shot to play."

I think the only way we'll see Bochenski in a Sioux jersey again is in pictures.

The Sicatoka,

Thanks for posting the excerpts from the press report. Reading it gave me a pretty good idea where each of the parties stand, and it's hard to find fault with any of them. Even if Bochenski doesn't get much of an entry-level deal, I can understand his desire to get on with his career. He has had a great Sioux career, and I hope he continues to find success as a professional.

Stepping back a bit to consider the overall effect of the NHL's labor situation on UND, I think we as Sioux fans still came out on top. In the absence of an unusual labor situation, I would have expected UND to lose Bochenski and Greene this offseason, with Jones and Parise definite possibilities. It seems that I was wrong about Parise, as he went anyway. Bochenski apparently feels he's ready to go, so the NHL's troubles didn't keep him at UND. However, the Sioux look to have retained both Greene and Jones, which is a bit of a gift. [Warning: Excessive optimism ahead] It's a gift that may keep on giving all season long, as I think those two could represent a defensive pair that will dominate college hockey this year, being well in control of play most of the time they are on the ice.