SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye, Bye Bochenski

SIOUXPR

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Sagard. I don't think either of these will leave their teams "hanging". It's my belief that both coaches knew quite well what could transpire with these players over the summer, and they are prepared regardless of the final decisions each player makes.

If he leaves early we will probably see UND go after a player to take his place or have another recruit that graduated come a year early.

I think the fact that he is not signed is the biggest factor, deal can't be that good. Look Bochenski is a 7th round draft choice he is not going to get a 1 million dollar bonus, those are for first round draft choices. Zach didn't even get a million dollars.

From the article:

"North Dakota forward Brandon Bochenski, one of the nation's leading scorers the past two seasons and a Hobey Baker finalist last season, will likely sign with the Ottawa Senators of the NHL this week, according to former Fighting Sioux head coach Dean Blais."

From the article:

"North Dakota forward Brandon Bochenski, one of the nation's leading scorers the past two seasons and a Hobey Baker finalist last season, will likely sign with the Ottawa Senators of the NHL this week, according to former Fighting Sioux head coach Dean Blais."

Obviously, the article PCM wrote doesn't come out and say that Bochenski will definitely leave school for the NHL, however the title "Bochenski to Bolt" tells you taht he is going to and not that he may bolt. If I said "Bush to be reelected," i don't think many people would let it slide if he didnt and i used the reason that i really meant he "may" be reelected.

My main question is...was it really news to say that Bochenski might eventually leave school early if the money is there? I think you could say that about any player in the NCAAs. If an NHL offers them enough money, theres a very very good chance that they will leave early for that money. Once something happens, write an article about it...but just talking about what could possibly happen and using a title that says its going to happen isnt news.

I said it weeks ago when all of you fine folks first started wringing hands and knashing teeth over this topic, and I will say it again.

Bo knows what will be best for him this fall, and for his future. Despite the reasonable amount of quid that may be on the table now, it will grow, exponentially, following a run at an NCAA title and the Hobey.

Bo is coming back. PCM, book it on USCHO so we can be done with this thread.

The Sicatoka and u2Bad1 are correct. I didn't write the USCHO headline. Nor did I write the USCHO the cover teaser saying that Bochenski's signing was a sure thing.

In fact, the headline I suggested to USCHO was "Blais: Bochenski to sign deal with Ottawa." This made it clear that Dean Blais was saying that Bochenski was about to sign.

My main question is...was it really news to say that Bochenski might eventually leave school early if the money is there?

Everyone knew there was a possibility that Bochenski might leave. So, you're right. That's not news. But when Dean Blais says that Bochenski will sign within the next seven days, I think it is news.

keep your chin up pcm...i know youve had a tough go. first running the "coach hak? don't be too sure" story the day before he got hired, followed by this bochenski thing...at the same time foss scooped everyone on the blais leaving and hakstol to be named coach. but like i said, keep your chin up, not everyone can be a god.

keep your chin up pcm...i know youve had a tough go. first running the "coach hak? don't be too sure" story the day before he got hired, followed by this bochenski thing...at the same time foss scooped everyone on the blais leaving and hakstol to be named coach. but like i said, keep your chin up, not everyone can be a god.

First, get your facts straight.

There was no "coach hak? don't be too sure" story. There was a story I wrote for USCHO in which I quoted Roger Thomas as saying that he had A) talked to some potential external candidates (a point he reiterated at the news conference announcing Hakstol's hiring) and B) had not ruled out the possibility of opening an external search. That story ran the day before internal applications closed, not the day before Hakstol was hired.

Second, I was out of state on vacation when the talk about Blais leaving surfaced. Reading the Herald and this forum, it certainly doesn't appear that Virg had that story before anyone else did. But if you want to give him credit for this big scoop that many people were talking about before his Herald story ran, be my guest.

Third, both Roger Thomas and Dave Hakstol dispute in the strongest possible terms the anonymous source tip Virg received on Hakstol being hired for the head coach job before he even applied for it. It's a good thing the source turned out to be right. Otherwise, the Herald would have had a nice sequel to its 1978 Ned Harkness scoop.

Fourth, I am not responsible for any predictions that Dean Blais makes about Brandon Bochenski signing with Ottawa. I merely reported what Blais told me on the record. To my knowlege, he has not denied making the statement.

Fifth, it's not my fault Blais' prediction turned out to be wrong. Nor is it my fault that the USCHO editors wrote misleading headline and teaser to my story. If you or anyone else has a problem with that, take it up with Blais and USCHO, not me. I have no control over either one.

Finally, I have a full-time job. It doesn't involve sports or Sioux hockey. I write for USCHO on a strictly volunteer basis. I don't receive a dime for it. This means that Sioux hockey is neither my life, my job nor a top priority. I don't pretend to compete with people who have full-time jobs covering sports. There's no way that I can know what they know because I simply don't have the time to devote to the subject that they do.

If the full-time, professional reporters in Sioux land and all the amateur would-be reporters around here can raise their self-esteem and feel special about themselves by scooping me, more power to them. It's really no great accomplishment.

I have received as much insight into Sioux hockey by reading PCM's stories on USCHO as I have by reading the Herald. The Herald has more Sioux related articles so the volume is certainly better, but pound for pound, PCM's stuff is more significant, IMO.

It has been over 7 days has it not?:lol:??

Yes it has, and thus, someone is wrong in their prediction. Let's find out who.

From USCHO:

North Dakota forward Brandon Bochenski, one of the nation's leading scorers the past two seasons and a Hobey Baker finalist last season, will likely sign with the Ottawa Senators of the NHL this week, according to former Fighting Sioux head coach Dean Blais.

Dean Blais' prediction has not stood up to the test of time.

PCM was the messenger.

Why is the messenger being shot at?

I have received as much insight into Sioux hockey by reading PCM's stories on USCHO as I have by reading the Herald.    The Herald has more Sioux related articles so the volume is certainly better, but pound for pound, PCM's stuff is more significant, IMO.

I appreciate your comments, dagies. Lately, I've refrained from stating my opinion on this board because as the "Virg Foss is God" post demonstrates, some people have great difficulty distinguishing between what I write on USCHO (fact-based news) and what I post on this board (fact-based opinion).

And just to be clear, I am not attacking the real Virg Foss in any way. I've gotten to know him fairly well the past three seasons. Sitting next to him in the press box is a real treat. His grasp Fighting Sioux history and the depth of his hockey knowledge far surpasses mine. I don't pretend to be in the same league as "the dean of college hockey sports writers."

I know that it's become fashionable to make fun of Virg, but UND, Grand Forks and Sioux fans are fortunate to have him covering the hockey program. While I may not always agree with his opinions or methods, he is an excellent writer and reporter.

How about we end this now. I, like the vast majority of the people on this board 100% understand your articles. You reported facts and other peoples opinions this is what reporters do, and most here think you do it well. We appreciate your commitment to Sioux hockey, obviously you do not do what you do for the money. We enjoy reading your articles, recaps and opinions. For those that are not smart enough to distinguish them, screw em. :lol:

BTW I know this has been asked before but what is the avatar you have now?