SiouxSports.com Forum

Snomageddon March 2019

The Sicatoka

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not even a dusting of snow in Bismarck.

Same in Fargo. You guys can have Hutch Johnson back. Overdramatic with every weather system that rolls thru the FM area. After watching him last night I went to bed thinking I was going to wake up to a combo avalanche/tsunami!

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

Last time MN was in charge of something they needed another $80M just to complete a driver's license software upgrade because the initial upgrade didn't work and had already cost millions.

Careful ... ND has "history" with software "upgrades" also. See: PeopleSoft. :crazy:

Fargo and Bismarck were on the wet side of the warm/cold line, so it rained. But that line going further north than predicted means the storm had more shove than expected as it moved further north than expected.

Too Tall kept saying he couldn't predict the warm/cold line so he didn't make any predictions for Fargo itself. The closest he came was when he said the snow difference from Dilworth to Mapleton could be nearly a foot.  

Now comes the misery:

Those in areas that it rained and who didn't shovel their roof are in deep trouble. Snow is a sponge for moisture. That four feet of snow on the roof just captured all the precipitation that fell, and added to the live load on the roof trusses. 

27 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not even a dusting of snow in Bismarck.

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Same in Fargo. 

My guess is Fargo will get a nice wind-aided dusting to inch before the day is out.

That'll put a nice polish on the ice for ya Oxbow. ;) 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

You guys can have Hutch Johnson back. Overdramatic with every weather system that rolls thru the FM area.

NO. Not welcome here again.

That guy is dangerous and irresponsible. We've seen his self important song and dance scare tactics before. 

I can toss him at a dart board and end up as accurate as his forecasts.

14 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Central South Dakota here. I think I need a tractor. 

I had one of those ... on my roof ... from the prior storms. 

I shoveled it off yesterday when I heard the potential for another foot of heavy wet snow. 

• Upvote 1

UND isn't the only team having travel problems today.

Colorado College was scheduled to fly out of Denver to get to its playoff series against Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, Mich. But the Tigers got stuck when Denver International Airport shut down. Colorado College and the NCHC are now exploring other options to get the Tigers to Kalamazoo.

(from the GF Herald) 

24 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This storm has not quite lived up to the hype. When the media throws around words like "historic" and "crippling," I just expect to see something special.

The wind is still howling in GF, but the snow is so wet and heavy it's hardly moving around.

On KVLY Hutch just issued a tornado watch..........stay tuned.

Wheeler saying no  visibility outside grand forks. BS. 29, 94, and 2 still closed. Are there banks across these roads? Strong winds but no snow blowing at all. Streets melting off, even those with no salt

5 hours ago, sprig said:

29, 94, and 2 still closed. Are there banks across these roads? 

In the open country, yes. 

Go here: https://www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info-v2/ 
Click the lower left "Weather Cameras" to add them to the map. 
Pick a camera. 

As an example, ND 13 by Verona:

ND-13Mile308West.jpg (640×480)

The warm/cold line stayed within 20 miles of the Red from Grand Forks to the south. East of that got rain and maybe and inch of snow. West of that got at least six inches of snow. Ashley, ND, got seventeen inches. 

Just because cities on the Red got a relative dusting doesn't mean it's not bad out there still. 

ND DOT is right to pull the plows until daylight if the wind is going to blow 30 mph all night. 

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

In the open country, yes. 

Go here: https://www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info-v2/ 
Click the lower left "Weather Cameras" to add them to the map. 
Pick a camera. 

As an example, ND 13 by Verona:

I regularly use the weather cams, and while I realize the roads outside the freeways were bad,  I could not find 1 cam on 29 that bad,  other than a little snow stuck in places.  In GF, weather was fine from mid-afternoon on.

Appears the hold up on opening  94 is mostly towing stalled and stuck vehicles which are blocking the freeways in places.

Looks just fine on 29 Fargo to Grand Forks. A bit dicey north of Grand Forks. See no reason that Fargo to Grand Forks couldn't be already open this morning. 

Nice cherry-picking of an East-West Highway cam near LaMoure. No doubt with more cams in place you can find lots of roads like this. My point is the freeways, specifically 29, not the East-West highways. Also with yesterday's gusts no argument that no one should have been out there

• Upvote 1