SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Denver

runaroundsioux

1 minute ago, GoalieMask said:

...and don’t look now but CC is starting to play some good hockey.  We talk about home ice for UND but there’s a realistic chance the boys in green could be #6 seed.  Plus UND has two games out in Colorado Springs. 

You probably nailed it, we could certainly be a #6 seed in reg season conf play which would probably put us at W Mich in 1st round--yikes!  Don't like them chances. 

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

On the road for the first round of the playoffs.

Likely against DU.

Which means no St. Paul. 

Which means no chance to win the autobid.

Which means no NCAA tournament again.

All part of the trade-off you felt was fine since they won that natty...

• Upvote 1

Just now, GDPritch said:

You probably nailed it, we could certainly be a #6 seed in reg season conf play which would probably put us at W Mich in 1st round--yikes!  Don't like them chances. 

Not just that.  Did you see that in the last minutes he was clearly engaged with his team mates on the ice between whistles.  Leadership material 

Just now, GDPritch said:

I hear you but I'm starting to grow tired of highly skilled/high caliber/high-end recruits (hear it every season with all our draft picks) coming in but they can't produce/produce minimal goals and points.  It sure seems to be a trend lately.   

Who really fits that bill on this team though? Bernard-Docker / Tychonick / Mishmash are really the only three. It's still obviously early in his career, but a guy like Weatherby although drafted and did have a monster year, did it as an overager. I'm always more cautious with guys like that. As we've seen, you don't have to be drafted to be an impact player (Poolman, Kierstad, Bast), but I have a good feeling about next years class. There's going to be four forward that will be drafted higher than anyone other forward except for Mismash. Those four are true high end players.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not a good penalty by Senden in the last minute but the continued ineptness with finishing grade A chances is the anchor that sinks this team again.

People bi*** about what berry says post game but he puts this team in a position to win game after game and they poop the bed. That’s not on coaching. At some point you have to capitalize on the opportunities you have and this team hasn’t figured out or isn’t capable of doing that. Every Sioux fan feels like they’ve seen this same movie almost every loss this season. 

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Berry: "Kept their best players off the scoresheet." "Get after it tomorrow." "Our guys are resilient." "We gotta keep grinding." "Tomorrow gotta clean up." "Easy to keep confidence when you outshoot opponents badly." 

:tinfoilhat:

Hennessy...after interviewing Berry...(and pretty much talking to SiouxSports)

"What do you expect me to say.....Of course I'm going to throw softballs to Berry when they play like they did."

He also has pointed out on his morning show how he "get griefs" and stops just short of mentioning SS.

8 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

...and don’t look now but CC is starting to play some good hockey.  We talk about home ice for UND but there’s a realistic chance the boys in green could be #6 seed.  Plus UND has two games out in Colorado Springs. 

And they have one of those hot goalies too. 

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

UND is playing crappy cause they won a natty a few years ago?

Plenty of folks on this board railed on Hakstol for not winning the big one and said that some down years were just fine if they could just win a national title once a decade or so.  Well, be careful what you wish for, because it sure looks like we’re in for a nosedive...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

Who really fits that bill on this team though? Bernard-Docker / Tychonick / Mishmash are really the only three. It's still obviously early in his career, but a guy like Weatherby although drafted and did have a monster year, did it as an overager. I'm always more cautious with guys like that. As we've seen, you don't have to be drafted to be an impact player (Poolman, Kierstad, Bast), but I have a good feeling about next years class. There's going to be four forward that will be drafted higher than anyone other forward except for Mismash. Those four are true high end players.

You make a good point and I do hope you're right.   

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

"What do you expect me to say.....Of course I'm going to throw softballs to Berry when they play like they did."

He also has pointed out on his morning show how he "get griefs" and stops just short of mentioning SS.

TH is terrific at what he does........the in-game radio voice of UND hockey. One of the best. What he is edging towards is being a post game Mike McFeely type "reporter".

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Plenty of folks on this board railed on Hakstol for not winning the big one and said that some down years were just fine if they could just win a national title once a decade or so.  Well, be careful what you wish for, because it sure looks like we’re in for a nosedive...

I disagree. We've seen this team out work and out play a lot of teams and lose. Scoring is the issue, clearly. Next year will be better, and the year after will be a fun one to watch.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

People bi*** about what berry says post game but he puts this team in a position to win game after game and they poop the bed. That’s not on coaching. At some point you have to capitalize on the opportunities you have and this team hasn’t figured out or isn’t capable of doing that. Every Sioux fan feels like they’ve seen this same movie almost every loss this season. 

How do you necessarily know it's not his coaching (you checked out the power play percentage, SOG scoring percentage, and goalie save percentage) that puts this team in a position to lose game after game?  Another coach (no names...) might put them in a position to win most of these games. 

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Plenty of folks on this board railed on Hakstol for not winning the big one and said that some down years were no problem if they could just win a national title once a decade or so.  Well, be careful what you wish for, because it sure looks like we’re in for a nosedive for a while...

Your favorite random "what if" question.

Your choices: "SemiFinal games for eternity or a Natty followed by 38 years of crap."

Most people: "Nattys every year or maybe a BC like run a few years ago."

This game is a microcosm of the season and maybe apathy has started to set in with me, but as frustrating as this game was and this season has been, as funny as it sounds, I'm starting to have a more positive outlook on this team. They play hard every night, which is important to me. I understand how sick everyone is about hearing about shots on goal, but one thing it does show is more times than not they are carrying the play. Hockey isn't a fair game and this hasn't been a fair season. I don't really know what else to say. They have quality chances, just most the time they can't capitalize. I've been watching hockey for a long time and what's gone this season is really like something I've never seen before. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

I disagree. We've seen this team out work and out play a lot of teams and lose. Scoring is the issue, clearly. Next year will be better, and the year after will be a fun one to watch.

Agree, "scoring" is the issue and getting more goals than you allow is what clearly defines a team that's better than the others.  It's the most important thing, bar anything else (score more than you concede).  I do agree thought, next season will be better but it better be!  No where to go but up (I HOPE!).   

1 minute ago, GDPritch said:

How do you necessarily know it's not his coaching (you checked out the power play percentage, SOG scoring percentage, and goalie save percentage) that puts this team in a position to lose game after game?  Another coach (no names...) might put them in a position to win most of these games. 

Look at the shot charts and quality of scoring opportunities in the games they have lost. To me, it’s the coaches job to put them in position to score, and the players job to execute. What’s off in the losses they have appears to be execution and not opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

This game is a microcosm of the season and maybe apathy has started to set in with me, but as frustrating as this game was and this season has been, as funny as it sounds, I'm starting to have a more positive outlook on this team. They play hard every night, which is important to me. I understand how sick everyone is about hearing about shots on goal, but one thing it does show is more times than not they are carrying the play. Hockey isn't a fair game and this hasn't been a fair season. I don't really know what else to say. They have quality chances, just most the time they can't capitalize. I've been watching hockey for a long time and what's gone this season is really like something I've never seen before. 

Man how low we have sunk as a fanbase...

• Downvote 4

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

He also has pointed out on his morning show how he "get grief" and stops just short of mentioning SS.

2snt7r.jpg

• Upvote 2