SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

undVBfan

7 minutes ago, the green team said:

She’s not a setter. In high school she’s an outside hitter.  She may be coming here as a setter but their will be a fairly steep learning curve I’m sure for someone who isn’t asked to set on a regular basis.  

This article says she was a middle hitter.

https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2019/09/see-michigans-10-finalists-for-the-2019-miss-volleyball-award.html

3 hours ago, the green team said:

Middle-outside...is not a setter...yet

https://nbc25news.com/sports/local-sports/elizabeth-norris-of-corunna-volleyball-signs-letter-of-intent-to-university-ofnorth-dakota

Didnt have the DI height for either of those positions so probably chose UND who was willing to offer the position of setter to meet her DI dreams..

Her sister played at Mich St.

Wouldnt be surprised if she has played setter at a younger age.  Tiffin apparently believes she is very capable of making the move.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 8:35 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

Disappointed in the year 

not sure we are going in the right direction 

It definitely wasn't the year anyone was hoping for, but I wouldn't throw in the towel on everything quite yet. I can't imagine my whole professional career riding on the whims and emotions of 18-22 year-olds. Not too much would have to be different for everything to have worked out much better this year. If a couple of players stick around from a year or two ago all of a sudden we have an experienced team. CSP picked up a setter from us, Liberty got an outside hitter, the Connecticut experiment could have worked out, or a libero could have decided that is wasn't more important to just be a student (wow, a student-athlete making that very grown-up decision). Add any 2 or 3 of those into the mix this year and it could have played out very differently. Players leave for a variety of reasons, but I suspect (immediate) playing time or wanting to be closer to home would be major factors. It's hard to blame a player for either of those choices.  

We took our lumps this year, just like we've handed out a few in previous years. I suspect things will get better soon. Now if the Summit could just fix the match times so that it would be easier to get the matches and I'd be much happier. I did like the Big Sky scheduling.

Anyone heard anything about the coaching staff? I have NO knowledge about anything, and don't want to start any rumors, but there have been a couple of things I've noticed in the past few weeks that make me wonder if a change is coming. Maybe it's nothing, or just a coincidence (or two :0). Or maybe it's something. If we haven't heard anything by soon after the first of year then there's nothing to see here, just keep moving. 

21 hours ago, undVBfan said:

We took our lumps this year, just like we've handed out a few in previous years. I suspect things will get better soon. Now if the Summit could just fix the match times so that it would be easier to get the matches and I'd be much happier. I did like the Big Sky scheduling.

This point times a thousand.  Summit scheduling is something awful.  Never knowing what day it will be.  Seriously weekday games in the early afternoon???  I am cancelling my season tickets as I was able to make it to 3 matches this year.  

On 11/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, Smoggy said:

This point times a thousand.  Summit scheduling is something awful.  Never knowing what day it will be.  Seriously weekday games in the early afternoon???  I am cancelling my season tickets as I was able to make it to 3 matches this year.  

I disagree that the Summit did a poor job scheduling.  I tracked the schedule every week this year, and each week had one Tuesday evening match (because of the odd # teams), and four Friday evening matches, and four Sunday afternoon matches.  It was consistent for most teams.

You guys and Omaha were the only locations that had issues scheduling outside of that framework.  In one case the Denver match @ UND had to be rescheduled due to weather.  That was the 1PM Tuesday match (Oct 22).  Not much to be done about that, I'm afraid.  Bad luck.

In most other cases the problem was facility conflicts. 

-On Friday, Oct 4 UND played WIU at home at 4PM, when all the other teams were playing in the evening.  I don't know why in that case, but it was an anomaly that I have to guess had something to do with the facility. 

-On Tuesday, Oct 15 you played NDSU at 7PM.  Sucks to have your rivalry game on a Tuesday, but every team played one Tuesday night game, and that happened to be yours.  Not ideal.

-On Friday, Oct 26 there was a hockey game, so the VB match was moved to Saturday morning.  This was the only Saturday Summit match all season.

Omaha's schedule was even more atypical for the conference due to multiple facility conflicts.  They had to play extra Tuesday and Monday matches due to Hockey, Home Expo and rock concert conflicts.  That sucks, but it certainly isn't the Summit League's fault.  Just part of playing in a multi-use facility that is trying to stay financially solvent.

An even number of teams would remove the one scheduled Tuesday night match each team would have to play, but overall I'd say the Summit did a good job keeping most matches on a Friday-Sunday rotation.

I think most would prefer to get back to the Thursday/Saturday that was the norm in the Big Sky. Obviously an odd number of teams and facility issues can make some of that a challenge, but it was nice to know, for the most part, that VB, MBB and WBB would be playing those nights. UMKC re-joining should help push that towards a reality, at least until the next domino falls.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2019/12/17/south-dakota-coyotes-volleyball-nivc-tournament/2665288001/

Yotes lose to GA Tech 25-23 25-23 25-17.  Disappointing outcome, but a nice tournament run leading up to it.  GA Tech only lost two sets total in that entire 5-round tournament.  They clearly should have been an NCAA Tourney team. 

We also set a program attendance record for the championship, nearly 2,500.  That kind of thing is good for the sport in this state, IMO.  It's already the fastest growing sport for girls 12-18 at the national level.  Several club teams have appeared in Sioux Falls in recent years.

As for next year, we will lose 2X DPOY Anne Rassmussen, but other than that all three of USD, Denver and Omaha were pretty young this year.  I'm hoping the Summit starts to get at-large teams on a more regular basis going forward.  North Dakota was fairly young as well, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm not sure about NDSU.  A new coach at SDSU will have a tough task, but there is talent in the region to be had.

It would be awesome if UND volleyball could get back to where they were a couple years ago.  My daughter has started playing (4th grade) so I'm starting to watch it a little more, and good volleyball is actually pretty fun to watch!  Mayer Lutheran is one of the best 1A schools in Minnesota, and had two seniors this year that are going D1 so we caught a lot of them.....

2 hours ago, Hambone said:

good volleyball is actually pretty fun to watch

You bet it is!  National semi-finals and championship are in Omaha (again - last hosted in 2015) next year, but I was thinking it would be a fun little road trip.  UND needs to make volleyball great again!

• Upvote 1

To comment on several other posts:

My earlier comments about a coaching change appear to be nothing. I hadn't heard anything, there were a couple of sightings and other occurrences made me wonder if something was in the works. It appears not to be. Unless it does happen later. :-) Again, I haven't heard anything.

Wow, Plummer and Stanford were good, real good. The rest of the world has to be happy she's done with her eligibility. Seeing her run the BIC reminding me how much UND counted on Merseli (sp?) in the pipe as a nice outlet when the pass wasn't there. And sometimes as a first option.

USD had a nice run, good for them. They were solid and deserved to be in the big show, and this run showed that. And if nothing else they bring more good attention to the Summit.

The comments about the schedule and Summit were fair. It's not all on the Summit, and I have no interest in placing blame. I'd just like match times that are more conducive to getting people in the seats. Especially for me. :-)

I heard a rumor, so I took at look. Anyone see anyone missing from the roster? Inquiring minds want to know (to steal a line from an old magazine).

https://gobison.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster

42 minutes ago, Erik Hegerle said:

I assume you are referring to their multi-use setter/hitter, Kalli Hegerle. 
She has decided to leave the program and pursue a lower level program to “have some balance” in her life/career. She leaves on good terms, and 3.9 overall gpa, so no issues, just “lost the passion” and is moving on. Good luck to her!

best of luck to her.

57 minutes ago, Erik Hegerle said:

She has decided to leave the program and pursue a lower level program to “have some balance” in her life/career. She leaves on good terms, and 3.9 overall gpa, so no issues, just “lost the passion” and is moving on. Good luck to her!

The time commitment for a college athlete is insane. I admire those that decide balance is a priority while also admiring those who decide the commitment is worth it.

Grades and a “normal” college experience are valuable. Best of luck to Kalli!!

11 hours ago, Erik Hegerle said:

#gojimmies perhaps?

On 12/28/2019 at 8:10 AM, Erik Hegerle said:

Good for her, that's a very grown up decision. You don't always see smart, big picture decisions made from young adults her age. At her age I was just trying not to get kicked out of school, so I guess she's doing OK. :)

UJ would be an option. They generally run a 6-2, and whether they thought they needed another setter or not, every team will find room for a quality addition. And the coach is probably familiar with her and her talents. :D UJ had a nice run, making the semis of NAIA, so the level of success there would definitely be appealing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, Smoggy said:

OK, I completely take back my support of Summit League Scheduling.  This basketball season's schedule is horrific.  Double-headers are cool and everything, but it's like they sold out on that at the expense of everything else sensible.  Just bizarre in some cases.  It's like they have no idea what they are doing.  My apologies.

4 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

OK, I completely take back my support of Summit League Scheduling.  This basketball season's schedule is horrific.  Double-headers are cool and everything, but it's like they sold out on that at the expense of everything else sensible.  Just bizarre in some cases.  It's like they have no idea what they are doing.  My apologies.

Best theory I've heard:

Someone put down big calendars in the back yard and had lawn darts marked for all the games. They threw, they landed ... PRESTO! ... schedule. 

• Upvote 1