SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

undVBfan

On 6/21/2019 at 3:19 PM, Dagger said:

Didn’t we have a gal  named Bigelow from Wisconsin that had committed a while ago?  What is the story there?

She had moved to the Twin Cities and then apparently had a better offer, as she was to come to UND this fall.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:28 AM, Dustin said:

Very sad for me.  She was my favorite player.  I think Pryor effed up  when he took the libero position away from her.  Perhaps that's the reason she decided to move on.

The Flores/Fraase situation left many upset with the changes apparently.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2019 at 8:34 PM, SiouxVolley said:

I have a hard time believing 6th in the Summit is what any UND player, coach, or fan has in mind.  Let's reach the top of the Summit, girls!

Volleyball wins today against MVSU 3-0.  The total scores were 75-45.

Noted earlier the schedule was weak, and next week take on three eastern teams and the following weekend against mostly weak Carolina schools.  That should gives this team confidence when they begin their home tournament against EWU.

In previous seasons they have played against P5 and upper G5 schools, but this year is limited to Villanova, who like most eastern schools hasn’t made a name for itself in the sport.

Edit:  Villanova finished fourth the the BE and is projected to have the same finish this year.  But Creighton and Marquette dominate volleyball in that league.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Any reason for the weaker schedule?

Suppose they expected a rebuilding year.  Need a lot of situations to be corrected to compete against higher level.

In previous years, coaches expected they would be competitive against higher level teams, which mostly was true except last year.

Non Conference VB schedules are mostly formed in the spring.  Not common to have longer planning than one year.  Think Cal Poly, which got a major transfer from UCLA before last season, really upped its schedule to reflect its higher status.  Upper level teams like Penn St, UCLA, Nebraska and even Minnesota really guard their schedule as they want competitive games.

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Three juniors now seniors transferred out:  Fraser, Kayla Williams and Maggie Smith.  We were already young last year.

Thanks

that answers what happened but not why it happened  - no response needed

new coach is my guess  - same coach is lowering expectations because we are so young  :love:

On 9/2/2019 at 8:17 AM, SiouxFan100 said:

Thanks

that answers what happened but not why it happened  - no response needed

new coach is my guess  - same coach is lowering expectations because we are so young  :love:

There is no way for a coach to really predict what will happen over 4-5 once players get to campus. I suspect the coaches would love if they had 3 seniors, 3 juniors, and such every year, but it doesn't work like that. Players get injured, move (closer to) home, get tired of the grind, or get beat out by younger players and don't want to be practice players for the rest of their careers. There a lots of reasons why programs end up looking like this, and UND seems to have had a little bit of all-of-the-above. If everyone sticks around in a year or two we'll wonder why we have all the seniors. :-)

Minnesota, Stanford, USC, Nebraska, and such, they're figuring out how to work the RPI to either ensure they make the tourney in a bad year, or get the highest seed possible in a normal year. Some schools (Florida St comes to mind) have really work the RPI formula through scheduling. We're basically an AQ conference, so we just need to figure out how to get into the best position possible to win the conference tourney. I suspect it's up to the coach and his staff if he wants to go for confidence or challenges early in the year.