SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais

Siouxhockey03

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no, no. According the the last minutes of the "Vast Fighting Sioux Conspiracy", I will become head coach at Notre Dame. Lucia will join me as "tape manager". Craig Dahl will anxiously await "the call" from Minneapolis. Meanwhile, Minnesota will offer the job to WPoS due to his long, storied success in Beer Darts.

In the interim, Wooger will continue to brush up on the names of UND players such as Lamoureux, pronounced "linoluem", Zajac, pronounced "Kojak" and Bochenski, "Bucks".

:D;)

you guys always have to go into denial about everything. geeeeez, just accept things now and then. like i said before, dean is OUTTA HERE!

Well, look at that I was wrong...enjoy it, doesn't happen very often ;)

I don't know if we'd get Sandy this late, but UMD fans have to be nervouse as hell right now ;)

WOW - I guess it wasn't just a rumor this time. The good news is that there are many great candidates with ties ot UND. Sandelin has to be the front-runner with Steve Johnson not too far behind, then Eades, Hakstol, Berry.....

I really don't think this will have a huge effect on our program. Dean has a great reputation which I am sure influenced some recruits but the reputation of the program, the facilities and a talented new coach will do be enough to keep the program rocking!!

No, no, no. According the the last minutes of the "Vast Fighting Sioux Conspiracy", I will become head coach at Notre Dame. Lucia will join me as "tape manager". Craig Dahl will anxiously await "the call" from Minneapolis. Meanwhile, Minnesota will offer the job to WPoS due to his long, storied success in Beer Darts.

In the interim, Wooger will continue to brush up on the names of UND players such as Lamoureux, pronounced "linoluem", Zajac, pronounced "Kojak" and Bochenski, "Bucks".

;);)

how come I'm the last to know of these things?!?! :D

WPoS

WOW.

I mean, really. WOW.

I'm stunned. We've kicked the list of replacements around for quite a while, but I didn't expect to need it for a few years yet. Bigger picture, he basically told us ten years would be it, so we shouldn't be too surprised. In the shorter view, though, with the lockout, the great team lined up for the next few years, and the WJC, it's surprising.

WOW.

I mean, really. WOW.

I'm stunned. We've kicked the list of replacements around for quite a while, but I didn't expect to need it for a few years yet. Bigger picture, he basically told us ten years would be it, so we shouldn't be too surprised. In the shorter view, though, with the lockout, the great team lined up for the next few years, and the WJC, it's surprising.

I am also in shock, for the same reasons that jk has stated. There must be some other dynamics behind the scenes that we don't know about. Good luck to Coach Blais in Columbus.

Moving ahead, I would think Sandelin would be the first choice, but will stay in Duluth. Johnson will mostly likely end up with the job. Then again, it's all speculation. Stay tuned.

This is stunning to me, but good news in several theoretical respects.

1) Good news for Karl G (maybe)

2) It's always a good thing when a college coach makes it to the NHL in some coaching or management capacity. Look at Lammoretto (sp?) of the Devils: Ex Providence coach that has turned the Devils into a well oiled winning machine.

I wish he could have gone to a team that had a better chance at the postseason, but oh well.

Scott Sandelin would be my hope, but I'm not sure he'd be willing to leave a UMD team that is entirely his.

How will this effect recruiting? I am not sure it will affect recruiting before the 2005 season (if the 2005 recruits are affected at all) but we may be able to see just how important Blais was in the recruiting process...

Other names out there that could come out of left field: What about if Tony Hrkac retires? Would he be a viable coaching prospect despite his lack of coaching experience?

Wow, I imagine GF is in a collective state of shock.  Amazing turn of events.

Would Cary Eades be on a cadidate list?

I heard it on the radio as I was trying to wake up. I woke up REAL FAST.

I wonder if the neighbor heard me yell the F Bomb?

Edit: Yes, Eades would be on the list of candidates but I do not think he would be considered a front runner. Neither would Steve Johnson of Lincoln.

Honestly enough, I would think Sandelin, Marks, or one of the current assistants would be the front runners.

Sandelin's reasons are obvious,

Marks is a good choice because he has NHL experience as a player, pro coaching experience that was successful (The Growl won the championship 2 years ago in the ECHL), and he is a UND alum.

And the rest of the pack is due to immediate experience.

Edited by redwing77

Wow, I imagine GF is in a collective state of shock. Amazing turn of events.

Would Cary Eades be on a cadidate list?

I would expect that he would be on the short list along with Steve Johnson (former All American with the Sioux from Grand Forks; current coach of Lincoln Stars who publicly expressed interest in the job within the past 2 years), Scott Sandelin (would he leave UMD??), and Dave Hakstol. I would like to see Steve Johnson or Scott Sandelin, with a slight preference for Steve Johnson.

Sandelin or Steve Johnson look to be top candidates at this point.  Any other names out there? 

Who would be some candidates with no ties to UND?

Say it ain't so Dean-O!!

I am stunned. Fortunately, the tradition and pride and the program are much much bigger than just one man. We felt the same emotions when Rube and Gino left.

Loss is tough. The future is bright.

Say, how about that great old gargage can thrower, Ned Harkness? He still alive?

Think he'd be interested?

Well, I didn't believe it, or was it that I didn't want to believe it. Either way ....

What a terrible ;) situation for the potential next head coach of the Fighting Sioux:

- take over the MacNaughton Cup champions

- come to a "full cupboard" roster

- The Ralph

- and get to beat Denny at pinochle :D

I guess it's time to start the speculations. I'd say the list in the GF Herald is pretty good and almost too long. I'd speculate that the candidates (probably in order of chance) would be:

- Scott Sandelin

- Steve Johnson

- John Marks

- Dave Hakstol

Unbelieveable. I could've woken up with a Ferarri in my garage and been less surprised.

Any speculation on Barry and Hackstol? Would they both stay under a new head coach? I'm wondering if Blais gave an informal nod to anyone as he was on his way out...

Does this affect any current players? Jeez... this sucks. :D

Edit: Yes, Eades would be on the list of candidates but I do not think he would be considered a front runner. Neither would Steve Johnson of Lincoln.

I am curious why you would say Steve Johnson would not be a front runner? He is very well liked by his former players (Jay Potulny said that Ryan would have gone to UND if he was the coach), has had tremendous success coaching in the USHL, is a former UND player, and is from Grand Forks. Personally, I think he is or will be the front runner.

Well this sucks for an early Friday. Best of luck to Coach Blais, and thanks for everything.

Now, on to business, my favorites:

Steve Johnson, solid history in coaching

Scott Sandelin, excellent recruiter and coach

*maybe* one of the assistants, with an edge to Brad Berry

one of the Minnesota or other WCHA assistants(?)-dark horse and it never hurts to look outside for quality candidates

Cary Eades(?) Big jump from HS to college, but Blais did it.

Me, dammit. :D;)