SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais

Siouxhockey03

I'd say Hakstol, Sandelin, then Eades in that order.

After that, S. Johnson.

Marks? I don't know? They still play hockey in the HEA?? I know they do in the ECHL (check the Sioux lineage in that league) so maybe he'd be a good fit.

I would welcome anyone and change is good. Thank you Dean for Twenty great years.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im worried that blais' defection will lead to more defections this year.

If you mean defections of other good coaches to try and become Head Coach of the Great University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, I'm with ya. If otherwise, don't worry cuz things always shake out fine for the mighty green.

Sandelin must be the front runner, right?

However, I recall when Rube Bjorkman resigned. There was a boatload of speculation the Sioux would sign Ned Harkness of RPI. The Herald ran this huge story about him, and by the time I got done reading it, I thought the college version of Scotty Bowman was on his way to GF. Then, at what seemed like the last minute, the guys in charge hired this asst coach, Gino Gasparini, and as they say, "the rest is history."

So...let's not overlook the assistants.

But, I think Sandelin maintains a nice relationship with the guys here and must be the front runner.

Does he have good relations with the people at Shattuck?

shep

How 'bout Dallas Stars head coach Dave Tippett? His wife (that is if they're still married) is from Bismarck.

Want to hear a gut-buster? The rumor among the dirty yellow vermin apologist faithless is the Woog is a top candidate! :D;);)

I loved Tippett as a player, but I wonder if going from NHL head coach to college coach is the type of move he'd want to make.

If Woog is hired, I shall return my REA tickets and NEVER attend a Sioux game while he's here.

NEVER!

Of course, if he was hired, he certaintly wouldn't last long.

shep

I just hope for Deano's sake that it doesn't replicate the Steve Spurrier situation.

One big diff between Deano and Spurrier is that Deano is going to be an asst coach.

Spurrier got the keys to the whole store and just didn't handle it well.

shep

This is stunning to me, but good news in several theoretical respects.

1) Good news for Karl G (maybe)

2) It's always a good thing when a college coach makes it to the NHL in some coaching or management capacity. Look at Lammoretto (sp?) of the Devils: Ex Providence coach that has turned the Devils into a well oiled winning machine.

I wish he could have gone to a team that had a better chance at the postseason, but oh well.

Scott Sandelin would be my hope, but I'm not sure he'd be willing to leave a UMD team that is entirely his.

How will this effect recruiting? I am not sure it will affect recruiting before the 2005 season (if the 2005 recruits are affected at all) but we may be able to see just how important Blais was in the recruiting process...

Other names out there that could come out of left field: What about if Tony Hrkac retires? Would he be a viable coaching prospect despite his lack of coaching experience?

You should hear Jeff Dubay on PA and Dubay, he is giddy and happy. In his next breath he said, that the people in Duluth should be worried about losing their coach. I guess he is right this really does probably effect two towns. Although I can see why this rube might be happy that Blaiser and Zach are gone. I don't think UND misses a beat. Like Greg Schnider said today on 1440 UND has great coaches already, he said that Berry will probably make a great coach some day. Maybe Hack or Berry get the job who knows.

In short I don't think UND changes, the prospects are still going to be there. Maybe we don't get as many of the SSM recruits but I bet we see more blue chip westerns Canadians again.

I guess it's time to start the speculations. I'd say the list in the GF Herald is pretty good and almost too long. I'd speculate that the candidates (probably in order of chance) would be:

- Scott Sandelin

- Steve Johnson

- John Marks

- Dave Hakstol

Let's throw that wildcard name into that mix:

Tom Ward, head coach, Shattuck-St. Mary's

Wow, I imagine GF is in a collective state of shock. Amazing turn of events.

Would Cary Eades be on a cadidate list?

It kind of on par with me making a hole in one in golf, never think it would happen. Now were missing a hockey coach and I have come close but no cigar.

I agree with The Sicatoka's list.

In the interest of throwing names at the wall, would Coach Ward at SSM (former Woog assistant) receive any consideration?

The Sicatoka, got you by about 80 minutes on that wild speculaiton.

As supportive DB has been to players leaving early for the NHL it isn't much of a surprise DB took an offer when given one. To me, I'm surprised he took the job as the #2 guy. I would think he is mainly going to be used to scout talent and make personnel decisions, which is good news to former college players. I think this could be good for the NHL, hopefully the trap is going out the window. I don't think DB would ever be a part of a team that uses a nz trap. I hope there is an NHL next season.

I don't know Sandelin personally but I don't see him leaving UMD after last season, especially with them building a new rink. I'm sure Duluth will toss bags of money his way to get him to stay.

I would think Johnson would have been the front runner a few years ago, but the Lincoln pipeline has dried up. This may have nothing to do with Johnson as a coach, but he isn't as close to the program as he was a few years ago.

UND likes to hire internally so I think Hakstol is the front-runner. He has good recruiting skills and seems to have good rapport with the players.

I don't know Sandelin personally but I don't see him leaving UMD after last season, especially with them building a new rink. I'm sure Duluth will toss bags of money his way to get him to stay.

I would be willing to bet that UND would throw a bucket of money at Sandie to come here.

I don't think UMD has much money to toss around. It's the "red headed step-child" of the UofMN system, especially when it comes to athletics funding. Moreover, I don't think they have the alumni $$$ to match/beat anything UND might offer.

I would bet Roger Thomas, and the alumni powers have already figured out what it will take to bring in a top-flight coach, and I don't think they'll spend it on Berry or Haks.

I don't think UMD has much money to toss around. It's the "red headed step-child" of the UofMN system, especially when it comes to athletics funding. Moreover, I don't think they have the alumni $$$ to match/beat anything UND might offer.

I would bet Roger Thomas, and the alumni powers have already figured out what it will take to bring in a top-flight coach, and I don't think they'll spend it on Berry or Haks.

So I wonder if they have called Scott yet?

I agree that Dave Hakstol is the guy. He is a class act, knows the players, knows the program, knows the system. Can recruit. Why go with outside wild cards when the diamond in the rough is right under the nose.

Sandelin is overrated. Sure, he has done well at UMD. Let him stay there.

Hey, where is the Gophers' best coach since Herbie, Brad Beutow?