SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

How do you think NDSU offense would have performed this season if Rudy had been the OC/QB coach the last 5 seasons?  Personally, I think NDSU would have been a "bubble" playoff team much like UND.  Within reason, its not the players, its the coaching.  Cloyd is one of a handful of guys in UND's program that would be All-americans if used correctly at UND or were playing for other schools and that includes FBS.  There are others.

Look at the regression of Johnny from his freshman year to SR year. Remember how many long runs he busted that season? Year by year we saw those go away. Whether it was training, play calling or the players around him. I feel bad that he didn't turn into more than what he ended up. Don't get me wrong, he had a spectacular career, but you'd be lying if you don't think he had potential to be on another level. Think if he would've improved a little each year after his freshman season. WOW. Say all you want about being keyed on and all that bogus because all great players have that problem and continue to be successful. 

Look at what happened to Kett slowly over the season. Compare his first 5 games to his last 3. He went from a confident risk taking gun slinging mobile QB to a scared puppy with concrete feet. Unreal 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

100% agree.  The job of a coach is to make the team play better than the sum of the parts.  At UND right now I would be pleased of we could just consistently play as well as the sum of the parts.  The last 3 games UND played at about 50% the sum of the parts.

Not to mention this exact same thing happened last season after the Misery State blow out win. But that was somehow even worse. Woof 

36 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

If you really look at it, it all starts on the offensive side of the ball. We are trying to be a running force with below average OL and below average TE play. For what we want to do offensively, we simply don't have the dudes. For what we have been recruiting, I just don't get the offensive philosophy. Also, I have never been impressed with Knauf, but hey that is just me.

It’s not just you, trust me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

You constantly hear people commenting about how Siouxsports users overreact about coaching and about UND teams. But I couldn't disagree more 

Grand Forks and UND hold their teams to high standards because it's a winning community. This is great tradition to have and be involved in. If people weren't pissed, then that's when you should start worrying. We care and have high expectations and that's a good thing in my opinion. 

UND ended the season 6-5 which on paper doesn't look glaringly bad, but it absolutely does not tell the story of the season. This season very clearly exposed the worse than poor coaching UND has and something needs to change immediately. 

The same team at the beginning of the year that was giving a very good FBS team Washington a run for their money into the 4th quarter, was unable to run or throw the ball against a very very poor NAU team that had already curled up and died for the year. The HUGE regression this team took week after week after week is 100% on the coaching staff and is absolutely inexcusable at this level. To cut them slack I would love to say that a lot of the other Big Sky teams got better as the year went on and UND just stayed flat, so Bubba needs to clean things up...but that is absolutely NOT true. NAU was a poor team to begin with and they were at the lowest point of their season and they STILL piss pounded UND. That just shows how badly UND back-peddled. I have never seen anything like it. I legitimately think that whatever coaching style they're using somehow actually made every player worse, especially on offense. Everyone seemed so scared to do anything out of the ordinary. The offense looked slow, predictable, scared, tentative and indecisive. Thinking about the QB and OL showing on Saturday just makes me sick and I don't even want to get started on that. Having that many weapons on offense and having that poor of a showing is unreal. It seems like there is a giant bottle neck at Rudy and Bubba that is letting all this talent rot away. I feel bad for the SRs that had to play for this team as they were all made into slightly worse players over their years at UND. I feel even worse for the players still stuck there now. I wouldn't blame them for leaving to another school where they want to develop forward and not be sucked backward. It's 2018 and UND needs some new younger energy that's up with the latest and greatest training strategies and play calling philosophies. 

I will have very minimal support for this team if no changes are made this off-season. These coaches are pathetic 

This is a genius analysis. Very well done!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Look at the regression of Johnny from his freshman year to SR year. Remember how many long runs he busted that season? Year by year we saw those go away. Whether it was training, play calling or the players around him. I feel bad that he didn't turn into more than what he ended up. Don't get me wrong, he had a spectacular career, but you'd be lying if you don't think he had potential to be on another level. Think if he would've improved a little each year after his freshman season. WOW. Say all you want about being keyed on and all that bogus because all great players have that problem and continue to be successful. 

Look at what happened to Kett slowly over the season. Compare his first 5 games to his last 3. He went from a confident risk taking gun slinging mobile QB to a scared puppy with concrete feet. Unreal 

The regression of Kett was unlike anything I have ever seen in football at any level.  He had a couple of pretty good games towards the beginning of the season , but last Saturday I think we would have been more effective on offense just going wildcat.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Press conference at 1 PM just moved back to 3 PM....Interesting.

This better be more than a "squirrel" announcement about the next phase of the football facilities development, although that would be welcome sometime in the near future.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Exactly 

Santiago’s stats

”15”-   1459 yards 16 tds

”16”-  983 yards and 7 tds

”17”-   717 yards and 5 tds 

“18”-  588 yards and 1 td ....yes 1 td his senior year

He had (9) 100 yard games his freshman year and (8) 100 yard games total for his sophomore, junior and seniors years. 

33 career receptions is criminal as well.    He should of average all of that per season.   

If Rudy gets Santiago the ball in space 10 times a game he will take at least 2 to the house.  The play-calling and scheme was almost unreal.  Maybe in the future we will just recruit 3 backs better than, John, Brady and James.

1 minute ago, tnt said:

This better be more than a "squirrel" announcement about the next phase of the football facilities development, although that would be welcome sometime in the near future.  

I 100% agree. They rarely change the Monday press conference time so I am hoping they are getting everything in order for dismissals. At minimum Rudy and Kostich need to go. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Exactly 

Santiago’s stats

He had (9) 100 yard games his freshman year and (8) 100 yard games total for his sophomore, junior and seniors years. 

33 career receptions is criminal as well.    He should of average all of that per season.   

Holy crap that's even worse than I was thinking it was. 

6 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Exactly 

Santiago’s stats

He had (9) 100 yard games his freshman year and (8) 100 yards total for his sophomore, junior and seniors years. 

Very telling.

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If Rudy gets Santiago the ball in space 10 times a game he will take at least 2 to the house.  The play-calling and scheme was almost unreal.  Maybe in the future we will just recruit 3 backs better than, John, Brady and James.

Opposing defenses had no element of surprise playing und.  Bring your safeties in tight and stop the run...done!   Year after year after year !!   Every offensive player was set up to fail. 

I heard opposing coaches interviewed on pre game and numerous of them mentioned ...” you know what you’re getting with und”.     No &$&#....we all did!  

• Upvote 2

Just now, tnt said:

You know, the very few times they did the screen pass, including against NAU, they saw some success.  Just as with the tight end usage, it baffles me why it wasn't utilized more with guys like Santiago.  

I am told the screen passes were on the backside of Rudy's play call sheet.  On the front at NAU was only dive play and kett with a 5 step drop.

19 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Exactly 

Santiago’s stats

Ugh.  That's just..... ugh.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

This.  Took a stallion and broke him.

• Upvote 2