SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Come on it was Coach's fault we missed 50% of our free throws, coaches fault we were out of position on defense.

It was the coaches fault we lost to a 2 win team...at HOME. UND should've beaten these guys and never had them in a position to get a buzzer beater, but keep making excuses for Jones we know you think he is the best UND coach since Muss.

I implied the comment made me laugh. I did not call him or his opinion moronic or unintelligent.

And I will stand by own opinion that the temperature isn't what has thus team in 9th place and that Jones is no Tom Izzo.

See how I did that? Made my opinion known without directly insulting or demeaning anyone.

Being a moderator doesn't require me to give up the right to have an opinion.

Nice that you didn't respond to the lie part.   You didn't imply anything, you stated he said something he did not.   You lied to show how witty you are.   In this reply you conveniently and innocently are saying it from your point of view.   In the original, you changed what he said and attributed it to him.  Very different.   Honest?   Ethical.

See how I did that?  

you didn't say YOU thought Jones was no Tom Izzo.   That would have been fine if you said that.  That would have been your opinion.  But, you did demean  and insult Hoopster when you lied about what he said.  You said Hoopster stated that Jones was the Tom Izzo of the Big Sky, which he did not.  .... Big difference.  Opinions are fine, not saying you shouldn't have one.  That had nothing to do with my post. 

You re-stated his argument\opinion in a way that was a lie.   Which, in my opininion was to insult and demean his opinion and pump yourself up.   

I don't think I insulted anyone.  I just pointed out a fact.  Never said a moderator should give up HIS opinion.  My opinion is even moderators should be called on attributing a quote to someone that they didn't state.

I never get the joy of my team losing, you might but I don't.

I bet you'd have a tough time finding anyone that believes you. I have no doubt you'd prefer that UND wins but at this point you're so invested in Jones being fired that you feel like every loss validates you somehow.

I bet you'd have a tough time finding anyone that believes you. I have no doubt you'd prefer that UND wins but at this point you're so invested in Jones being fired that you feel like every loss validates you somehow.

I never ever want UND to lose even if I want a coach fired. When Muss was stinking it up on the field I still cheered for the team. I just think it sad how after loss after loss (especially at home) how the certain few Jones supporters try to dismiss the people who can see a change needs to be made. How's that autograph Jones poster you have? I am sure it's value is crashing more than the 1929 stock market.

Nice that you didn't respond to the lie part. You didn't imply anything, you stated he said something he did not. You lied to show how witty you are. In this reply you conveniently and innocently are saying it from your point of view. In the original, you changed what he said and attributed it to him. Very different. Honest? Ethical.

See how I did that?

you didn't say YOU thought Jones was no Tom Izzo. That would have been fine if you said that. That would have been your opinion. But, you did demean and insult Hoopster when you lied about what he said. You said Hoopster stated that Jones was the Tom Izzo of the Big Sky, which he did not. .... Big difference. Opinions are fine, not saying you shouldn't have one. That had nothing to do with my post.

You re-stated his argument\opinion in a way that was a lie. Which, in my opininion was to insult and demean his opinion and pump yourself up.

I don't think I insulted anyone. I just pointed out a fact. Never said a moderator should give up HIS opinion. My opinion is even moderators should be called on attributing a quote to someone that they didn't state.

I didn't respond to the "lie part" because I did no such thing therefore I felt no need to justify the accusation.

Good grief I didn't even mention hoopster in the post in question. I didn't even remember who brought up Izzo in this thread until just now when I went back and looked, and you are correct it was hoopster.

Obviously I have struck a chord with you for whatever reason. Seeing as how this is totally off topic, feel free to take it up with me via personal message and I will do my best to address any of your concerns.

Okay so Fire Jones is constantly brought up every gameday and I agree a change should be made but my question is who are ever some candidates to replace him? The only one I can think of is Ryan Moody but that would be quite the jump from I believe a NAIA school.

Margenthaler from Mankato is the best suggestion I've seen. 

Moorhead states coach, I don't know if he would take it though.

Chad Walthall reportedly makes around $77k right now, and had to take a big pay cut when he took the Moorhead job, as Todd Lickliter and his staff had just been fired at Iowa. Walthall was Lickliter's top assistant.

MSU-Moorhead is currently 27-2.

I don't think fans should be speculating on who the next UND coach will be when there really isn't a need too. I don't think that is fair to players and coaches on the current team and I don't expect there to be any changes anyways so this just seems like a bad topic. I think that is very poor taste and kind of disrespectful to the current team.

At the end of the day it's been a tough year, but a few breaks here or there and this team is 7-6 or 8-5. I will say that they continue to play hard and battle. I don't feel like i am watching the football team 2 years ago get beat by 50-60 points.   

On a side note, Walthall is a fantastic coach. He'll probably be getting bigger offers as soon as this summer. 

• Upvote 1

I think its very fair to discuss. This is a fan board filled with discussion and speculation. At the end of the day, we the fans do not have a say on whether Jones is fired or not. I do agree that there are a lot of games that with a few breaks we could be above .500 in conference play but I think a lot of that has been due to coaching. There have been many times where there has been coaching mistakes late in games that cost us.

Also was just looking at MSU-Moorhead's roster and noticed that Arroyo Edwards ended up there. He was a big talk last season about coming here but I thought he had committed to UTSA.

Okay so Fire Jones is constantly brought up every gameday and I agree a change should be made but my question is who are ever some candidates to replace him? The only one I can think of is Ryan Moody but that would be quite the jump from I believe a NAIA school.

Rich Glas.

I don't think fans should be speculating on who the next UND coach will be when there really isn't a need too. I don't think that is fair to players and coaches on the current team and I don't expect there to be any changes anyways so this just seems like a bad topic. I think that is very poor taste and kind of disrespectful to the current team.

At the end of the day it's been a tough year, but a few breaks here or there and this team is 7-6 or 8-5. I will say that they continue to play hard and battle. I don't feel like i am watching the football team 2 years ago get beat by 50-60 points.

On a side note, Walthall is a fantastic coach. He'll probably be getting bigger offers as soon as this summer.

The UND basketball team is made-up of adults; they should be able to handle the fact that they have played poorly and lost many games that they should've won. After all, they're scholarship athletes and they're getting their schooling paid for.

If you think going 0.500 every season is acceptable at UND, you're mistaken. One thing looking at potential coaching replacements has revealed to me is that there are coaches in Moorhead and Mankato that have achieved very successful records. These are the type of goals UND should strive for. Faison best be willing to make changes when changes need to be made, and right now, my mind and gut tell me UND needs to make a change. There are plenty of DII winners right here in the region that deserve a chance at coaching DI basketball here at UND.

As for your "breaks" point, that could be said about any game or any season with any program. The bottom-line is you either make it happen or you lose. Jones has been an average coach, AT BEST, during his time at UND and I think the law of averages has a great enough sample size to reveal Jones will not get the job done here at UND.

• Upvote 1

Did not call anyone a name pal...however the content of the post is moronic period....if the shoe fits wear it!  Also stupid to throw out overall records because they are a function of non conference scheduling which as most intelligent people know varies from team to team with respect to difficulty.   Maybe if a Big sky Coach would schedule all Home games vs D2 teams then they would not make much money ...but the impressive win/loss record would make fans like you giddy.

Look up the old axiom about people in glass houses before you make comments like this.  :angry:   

Did not call anyone a name pal...however the content of the post is moronic period....if the shoe fits wear it! Also stupid to throw out overall records because they are a function of non conference scheduling which as most intelligent people know varies from team to team with respect to difficulty. Maybe if a Big sky Coach would schedule all Home games vs D2 teams then they would not make much money ...but the impressive win/loss record would make fans like you giddy.

Regarding a big sky coach who schedules d2 teams not making much money - how much money is the und basketball team making this season the way things are?

The UND basketball team is made-up of adults; they should be able to handle the fact that they have played poorly and lost many games that they should've won. After all, they're scholarship athletes and they're getting their schooling paid for.

If you think going 0.500 every season is acceptable at UND, you're mistaken. One thing looking at potential coaching replacements has revealed to me is that there are coaches in Moorhead and Mankato that have achieved very successful records. These are the type of goals UND should strive for. Faison best be willing to make changes when changes need to be made, and right now, my mind and gut tell me UND needs to make a change. There are plenty of DII winners right here in the region that deserve a chance at coaching DI basketball here at UND.

As for your "breaks" point, that could be said about any game or any season with any program. The bottom-line is you either make it happen or you lose. Jones has been an average coach, AT BEST, during his time at UND and I think the law of averages has a great enough sample size to reveal Jones will not get the job done here at UND.

This is a close second to my favorite excuse-the "hot goalie".

• Upvote 1

You play your best players. Cashman and Shanks are much better that Calc or Salmonson.

Don't disagree with you but then that reflects poorly on Jones' recruiting then if the two seniors (correct?) are not as good/can't play a particular role well enough to get some minutes over the freshmen. I guess that's why we're at where we're at then.

His current deal runs through 2016-17.

Which is why next year should/will be the make or break year for Jones next contract. They only lose 2 rotation players next year (Nash and Antwi). Bring in Seales, Geno will play, Shanks and Cashman get full off-season in program. I think Hooker is going to have a monster offseason. Extra practices and scrimmages for a team that will return 4 with starting experience. We should not have the personnel issues. But.....no excuses. They need to return to the top of the conference and they need to have non conference success to. A 20 win season and top 3 finish in the Sky can really help his case. Winning the Sky doesnt hurt either. We cant keep the .500 trend going. They will have the talent next year, got to do something with it. If they struggle again, make the change.