SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

51 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We saw what happened when Muss got his extension and Faison had enough and bought him out. He doesn't want a repeat. Also you say recruits don't like one year contracts but yet thats what they have in South Dakota and how many dance trips did SDSU have?

as usual you are a few years behind the curve as for your SD info ... AND There is a big difference between one year contacts by choice vs by rule of law....try doing your homework for once before you spout off

Truth of the matter is Jones is going to get a significant pay bump. I think it will be in the ballpark of 3-4 years and about 150 K base + incentives. IMO,  Faison's decision not to give him the 1 year CYA for recruiting extension has actually helped Jones in the fact that the next contract will give him more $$$$.

No chance he only gets a 1 year, and if he does.. I wouldn't be shocked if he went elsewhere and wouldn't blame him either

He is also going to get interest from other jobs should UND continue to be successful this year,  I wouldn't be shocked if Drake took a look at him if they don't hire their interim coach full time.

Why am I saying this? It is because UND is going to be dancing.

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Truth of the matter is Jones is going to get a significant pay bump. I think it will be in the ballpark of 3-4 years and about 150-170 K base + incentives. IMO,  Faison's decision not to give him the 1 year CYA for recruiting extension has actually helped Jones in the fact that the next contract will give him more $$$$.

No chance he only gets a 1 year, and if he does.. I wouldn't be shocked if he went elsewhere and wouldn't blame him either

He is also going to get interest from other jobs should UND continue to be successful this year,  I wouldn't be shocked if Drake took a look at him if they don't hire their interim coach full time.

You really think Jones is going to get a 50% raise? Laugh out f-cking loud

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Truth of the matter is Jones is going to get a significant pay bump. I think it will be in the ballpark of 3-4 years and about 150-170 K base + incentives. IMO,  Faison's decision not to give him the 1 year CYA for recruiting extension has actually helped Jones in the fact that the next contract will give him more $$$$.

If they make the dance Jones might get some looks from other schools maybe Drake U.. Jones has a better chance of getting canned than getting a one year contract.... Probably will get a 3 year deal putting him just off the bottom of BSC ... UND likely to be happy getting the Mens BB coach on the Cheap...If UND goes dancing than Jones gets bumped up to middle of BSC coaches

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

Pretty sure South Dakota legislature got that changes a few years back.

edit:. Looks like it changed last year.  https://apnews.com/7d80c3e698824029b7be3dcaa7d28b2e  

I always found it odd that a state would have a law to prevent multi year contracts. Thanks for the info.

18 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

You really think Jones is going to get a 50% raise? Laugh out fucking loud

If Faison had given him a 1 year extension last summer, I'd say no. Now?  It would approach it.  If Faison likes Jones enough he needs to pay him enough to stay or give him more security.  I'd say Jones played himself into a good situation where he might have earned himself a little more money than he would have. If he can't get it here, he probably would get it elsewhere. 

I'm fully expecting him to be extended unless things totally go south.

1 minute ago, hoops44 said:

If they make the dance Jones might get some looks from other schools maybe Drake U.. Jones has a better chance of getting canned than getting a one year contract.... Probably will get a 3 year deal putting him just off the bottom of BSC ... UND likely to be happy getting the Mens BB coach on the Cheap...If UND goes dancing than Jones gets bumped up to middle of BSC coaches

What would be considered middle of on the conference salary wise? 125-150 K?

10 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If Faison had given him a 1 year extension last summer, I'd say no. Now?  It would approach it.  If Faison likes Jones enough he needs to pay him enough to stay or give him more security.  I'd say Jones played himself into a good situation where he might have earned himself a little more money than he would have. If he can't get it here, he probably would get it elsewhere. 

I'm fully expecting him to be extended unless things totally go south.

What would be considered middle of on the conference salary wise? 125-150 K?

i believe so

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Truth of the matter is Jones is going to get a significant pay bump. I think it will be in the ballpark of 3-4 years and about 150 K base + incentives. IMO,  Faison's decision not to give him the 1 year CYA for recruiting extension has actually helped Jones in the fact that the next contract will give him more $$$$.

If another AD decides to hire Jones, that would be very unfortunate for that particularly institution (and wonderful for UND, in my opinion). 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, hoops44 said:

bincitysioux

• bincitysioux
  • Moderators
  •  
  • 7,849 posts

Well, no chance of either of those things happening.....

Ha, you've been banking that quote for awhile huh?  Honestly nobody is happier than me that you got to use it though.  Congrats to the players, Coach Jones, and the entire staff.  Truly a remarkable season so far (at least the conference portion of it) and hopefully will last for a while yet.

Fact is though, that my position on the leadership of the program hasn't changed.  This isn't Jones' third season, it is his 11th.  Based on his body of work here, this season is an anomaly unfortunately.  

• Upvote 3

Any of you posters on this site ever meet Brian, his wife or his kids?  They are a very nice family. This team and this coaching staff won a well-deserved conference regular season title.  Q's family sat in the row in front of us during the PSU game on Saturday,  parents, 1 brother and 2 sisters were at the game.  The whole day was a treat.  Congrats Coach Jones!

3 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Any of you posters on this site ever meet Brian, his wife or his kids?  They are a very nice family. This team and this coaching staff won a well-deserved conference regular season title.  Q's family sat in the row in front of us during the PSU game on Saturday,  parents, 1 brother and 2 sisters were at the game.  The whole day was a treat.  Congrats Coach Jones!

Doesn't matter how nice a guy and his family are when he has a losing record over 11 seasons. Coaching is a brutal career where results are the only thing that matter at the end of the day. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Doesn't matter how nice a guy and his family are when he has a losing record over 11 seasons. Coaching is a brutal career where results are the only thing that matter at the end of the day. 

So in your book, no congratulations coach.  You just won a conference championship and your contract will not be renewed?  See ya?

Just now, UND1981 said:

So in your book, no congratulations coach.  You just won a conference championship and your contract will not be renewed?  See ya?

He deserves congratulations for what the team has accomplished so far this year. He's making a strong case for himself to earn an extension this year. In 11 seasons I have seen enough out of him and would prefer a better coach who can get it done consistently.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we win the conference tournament this week in Reno, then Jones should get a multi-year extension.

If not, I think it's 50/50 that Faison chooses to keep him.

I think he's locked himself up a new 3 year deal.  Whether or not that is good for the program long term is up for debate....

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Any talk of Jones getting the Drake job could be bad news for UND if he takes Seales and Stewart with him.  Still believe as assistant coach was a key this year, likely former Australian pro coach Davidson.  Whoever that was needs to be retained.

Stewart gonna sit out for a year again?  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we win the conference tournament this week in Reno, then Jones should get a multi-year extension.

If not, I think it's 50/50 that Faison chooses to keep him.

I agree with this. If UND is dancing, you have to retain Coach Jones. If UND doesn't make the NCAA tournament due to an upset in the BSC tournament, then Faison will have to carefully weigh both options (extension versus hiring a new coach). My gut tells me Faison will be locking up Jones irregardless of the Big Sky Conference tournament results, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with this. If UND is dancing, you have to retain Coach Jones. If UND doesn't make the NCAA tournament due to an upset in the BSC tournament, then Faison will have to carefully weigh both options (extension versus hiring a new coach). My gut tells me Faison will be locking up Jones irregardless of the Big Sky Conference tournament results, unfortunately. 

I'm thinking so too. Except for maybe a first round loss in Reno, I don't see a way where Faison doesn't extend him. Unfortunate indeed. 

25 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Stewart gonna sit out for a year again?  

When a player transfers from one DI school to another, he can go to a JC and then another DI.  It doesn't appear to matter where he sat out a year at.  Maybe that's incorrect, but does the NCAA now view him as a UND athlete?  Since Stewart has sat out a year, he may be free to go again without sitting again.