SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

So-o-o-o. Maybe Jones will get the job at Wisconsin Green Bay. ;-)

No way...even with the meltdown vs Seattle BJ still will never be as good of a coach as McCarthy. Just compare winning %...in conference play only of course as that's all that matters. ;)

So when you boil it all down, Jones' future is essentially dependent upon Hooker and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores who haven't proven themselves yet being roughly as good as a team next year as Huff, et al. were as juniors and seniors? Or maybe to be a bit more accurate, they don't necessarily have to be quite as good in terms of conference record (.600), but roughly as good in terms of overall record (.500)? And assuming .500 is good enough to save his job for another year (which I do not concede), does Jones get an extension if he approaches that, or would Faison simply let him come back for the final year of his contract and then reevaluate?

I've said before, this team gets to the BSC tournament and makes a run. If not, then Faison needs to do his job, which, again, I'm not sure he gets MBB.

I've said before, this team gets to the BSC tournament and makes a run. If not, then Faison needs to do his job, which, again, I'm not sure he gets MBB.

If he doesn't get BB then I'm not sure what he does get.  It sure as hell isn't hockey based on his past.  

Expecting too much out of Crandall. For those banking on his "big-time" contributions next season, then why wasn't he on the court this season? Especially when Shields -- who played very few minutes -- got his shirt pulled.

With de Rouen and Tyler departing, UND will heavily rely on Hooker and Seales next season, along with Shanks and Cashman. I don't see an above 0.500 season next year, unfortunately. The attrition of this year's roster, along with the 3 upper classmen last season who occupied roster spots but not minutes on the floor, are the unfortunate results of relying on transfers and not developing high school players. Jones needs to get much better at this, or else UND needs a new MBB leader who can recruit and develop.

Factors for redshirt: Academics, Age, Size, Playing Time.  In no particular order. The fact they had so many guards on the roster already, probably played a role in him not playing.  Crandall probably could have played, but why waste a year when the season was going to be bad anyway? Age/ Size was a concern, when he came here he was young and needed to get into weight room.  Again, might as well use the down season to train and get bigger and better.  Academically, I don't know the situation, but maybe it was easier to let him focus on being a student-athlete :)  and get acclimated to college without worrying about playing. I know what he did in High School was impressive, and his game should translate well to the college level

If he doesn't get BB then I'm not sure what he does get.  It sure as hell isn't hockey based on his past.  

You mean hockey, the sport he sends most of the athletic department's money to?  The sport he created a new super-conference for?  The sport for which he chairs the NCAA selection committee?

• Upvote 1

You mean hockey, the sport he sends most of the athletic department's money to?  The sport he created a new super-conference for?  The sport for which he chairs the NCAA selection committee?

So that means he "gets" hockey cause he sits in on meetings about the legislation of it?  My point was he doesn't know hockey to make decisions on the state of the program using his own intellect.  He had little to no experience with it before coming here but had a ton of experience with basketball and football.

So that means he "gets" hockey cause he sits in on meetings about the legislation of it?  My point was he doesn't know hockey to make decisions on the state of the program using his own intellect.  He had little to no experience with it before coming here but had a ton of experience with basketball and football.

I don't understand this either. Basketball seems to have been treated as a complete afterthought under Faison. Maybe this would have been more understandable if Gino were still a.d., but somebody with Faison's background? It seems odd.

I don't understand this either. Basketball seems to have been treated as a complete afterthought under Faison. Maybe this would have been more understandable if Gino were still a.d., but somebody with Faison's background? It seems odd.

The unnamed factors and pressures at UND will always point to hockey. Faison appears to have fell victim to the "culture" of UND athletics.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand this either. Basketball seems to have been treated as a complete afterthought under Faison. Maybe this would have been more understandable if Gino were still a.d., but somebody with Faison's background? It seems odd.

To add to that, I am pretty sure Faison is the Chair of the Hockey Selection Committee because he is UND's AD, not because he is a great hockey mind.  

Why isn't he on the NCAA Basketball selection committee?  He knows a hell of a lot more about that sport.

I would say that this had everything to do with the circumstances of him being the AD at UND at the time of all of that.

Yeah sure, he got that done, but it's not because he is such a strong leader.  It's because he happened to be the AD at UND at the time. 

Any AD at a school like UND, in their situation, at that time, could have and should have accomplished those things.

Do we need to go back to the things he hasnt done or done well?

I just disagree with the idea that you can point to that to say "hey, look at all he's done".

Factors for redshirt: Academics, Age, Size, Playing Time. In no particular order. The fact they had so many guards on the roster already, probably played a role in him not playing. Crandall probably could have played, but why waste a year when the season was going to be bad anyway? Age/ Size was a concern, when he came here he was young and needed to get into weight room. Again, might as well use the down season to train and get bigger and better. Academically, I don't know the situation, but maybe it was easier to let him focus on being a student-athlete :) and get acclimated to college without worrying about playing. I know what he did in High School was impressive, and his game should translate well to the college level

Your factors are all correct, but they didn't apply in Brian Jones' mindset when deciding to burn the redshirt of Cashman and Shields, who played few minutes.

Also, to say the play of guards such as de Rouen and Antwi prevented the play of Crandall is quite telling. It tells me Crandall is a freshman athlete in a common scenario in that he needs time to develop. Fans should not expect too much of Crandall in his RSFr. season.

I would say that this had everything to do with the circumstances of him being the AD at UND at the time of all of that.

Yeah sure, he got that done, but it's not because he is such a strong leader.  It's because he happened to be the AD at UND at the time. 

Any AD at a school like UND, in their situation, at that time, could have and should have accomplished those things.

Do we need to go back to the things he hasnt done or done well?

I just disagree with the idea that you can point to that to say "hey, look at all he's done".

I'm not saying he's a great AD, but to imply that he's been bad for hockey is, IMO, ridiculous.

Factors for redshirt: Academics, Age, Size, Playing Time.  In no particular order. The fact they had so many guards on the roster already, probably played a role in him not playing.  Crandall probably could have played, but why waste a year when the season was going to be bad anyway? Age/ Size was a concern, when he came here he was young and needed to get into weight room.  Again, might as well use the down season to train and get bigger and better.  Academically, I don't know the situation, but maybe it was easier to let him focus on being a student-athlete :)  and get acclimated to college without worrying about playing. I know what he did in High School was impressive, and his game should translate well to the college level

Funny how you keep mentioning academics.  Guessing this is a pretty big part of the deal and reason why I am going to wait for next fall to see the roster.

But the three true freshman coming in are going to SAVE THE PROGRAM!!!!    :silly:  

The unnamed factors and pressures at UND will always point to hockey. Faison appears to have fell victim to the "culture" of UND athletics.

It's just frustrating that a certain level of success was demanded at one time, but apparently not anymore.

It's just frustrating that a certain level of success was demanded at one time, but apparently not anymore.

Absolutely, it's frustrating. The expectations for football and men's basketball are a definite problem. More of the revenue generated by men's hockey needs to be distributed to men's basketball and football, and not pumped unnecessarily back into men's hockey.

• Upvote 1

Your factors are all correct, but they didn't apply in Brian Jones' mindset when deciding to burn the redshirt of Cashman and Shields, who played few minutes.

Also, to say the play of guards such as de Rouen and Antwi prevented the play of Crandall is quite telling. It tells me Crandall is a freshman athlete in a common scenario in that he needs time to develop. Fans should not expect too much of Crandall in his RSFr. season.

I didn't understand playing Shields either. You either give him minutes and let him grow or keep his redshirt on. I think it was a disservice to the young man.  Cashman, I can understand that.  Needed size and had minutes for him as the other bigs weren't impressive.  And, Shanks wasn't available until the break.

Sorry to go around in a circle, but...(And I agree with you regarding the play of de Rouen)...Yes, Crandall probably needed to gain weight. I think Antwi should have gotten more shot attempts, but that may have been a problem of the offense.. (which is a legitimate discussion to have regarding coaching)

Funny how you keep mentioning academics.  Guessing this is a pretty big part of the deal and reason why I am going to wait for next fall to see the roster.

But the three true freshman coming in are going to SAVE THE PROGRAM!!!!    :silly:  

I mentioned multiple factors.  I am probably in the minority on this, but I think most freshman should redshirt!  Especially at the mid/low major level. Give them the best chance academically to succeed.  As  most kids are going to need their degree to continue being successful in life.

Absolutely, it's frustrating. The expectations for football and men's basketball are a definite problem. More of the revenue generated by men's hockey needs to be distributed to men's basketball and football, and not pumped unnecessarily back into men's hockey.

Agree 100% that the expectations should have been higher, and should be.  Football has changed for the better, I believe.  Now basketball has to be elevated.  I dont know how much revenue is generated from the hockey program; but if you can be successful in basketball, plenty of money is there to be made.  Football and MBB can be revenue generating sports on there own.  However, I don't know if the admin knows how to do it.  (again another conversation-look at the fan fest last year as an example, and they should be pushing for UND/NDSU at REA)  Sorry for the drift, but I think it all leads back to administration.  (Jones getting extension?) 

How much have the standards for UND men's basketball changed in the last 30 years or so? In Dave Gunther's second-to-last year, he was 12-6 in the NCC, and finished in a tie for second place. He followed that up with an 8-10 NCC record, and was "strongly encouraged", I believe, to take another job within the athletic department. And that was with a hockey coach running the department.

It's weird to think that Gunther was not even 50 years old when he stepped down. 

• Upvote 1

Final RPI ranking: 312

A ranking like that practically destroys the non-conference schedule next season. Top 100 or 50 schools won't want to schedule us. It will take at least two years to even work our way up the rankings, if we win.

Meanwhile, other Dakota schools have an RPI ranking in the 90's. Their non-conference schedule will be much stronger, which helps their RPI next year.

Becoming one of the dregs in DI really builds a deep hole and a Catch-22 situation.

Rick Barnes gone....made Dance 16 of 17 years...at a FB school.

BJ not gone...misses the BSC tournament...only coach at UND to lose 20 games twice.

As Bin has stated numerous times (paraphrasing) the bar is so low for this program a snake could not win the Limbo.

• Upvote 1