SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

If UND could just find another $1.8 million and increase Brian Jones' salary to $750K per year, can we raise the expectations from simply making the Big Sky Tournament to a Final Four appearance?

I already clarified that I think Jones is paid appropriately for what he has done and on the flip side, UND has gotten the results that have paid for and invested into the basketball program.  Not saying that money always equals winning, but considering UND's basketball budget is currently in the bottom 1/3 of a low-major conference, expecting a finish towards the top every year seems a little disconnected.  I'm not talking an increased salary for the current head coach (though a replacement would probably require an increase).  Maybe UND could pay their assistants a little better so they don't have to replace the ones that head off to big time schools like USD or take head coaching jobs at lower level schools.

If money isn't that big of deal for winning, maybe the hockey team could have cut back on their locker room renovations that was roughly 3 years worth of the basketball team's current budget (I know it was mainly private money, but there are definitely some upgrades at the Betty that could have been paid for with a lot of the same funds and would go a long way in helping improve the atmosphere for MBB and WBB).

Chad Walthall has D1 experience, he's winning on a national level at a school with extremely limited resources, alumni support, and local interest.

Could you write it up any better prerequisite for the UND job?

I couldn't think of a better candidate. Of course, like Craig Smith last year, if you wait you likely lose your opportunity...

Man, would it have worked out nice to dismiss Jones following this season and then hire Chad Walthall after his potential title run with MSUM.

I will say that I don't know UND athletics' financial details as far as funds that can be distributed to the various programs. However, if the funds aren't available for a buyout and new hire, then it's Faison's job to acquire the funds and get the job done. I sure hope UND athletic department employees are properly distributing the available financial resources and not just patting themselves on the back and pocketing it.

Chad Walthall has D1 experience, he's winning on a national level at a school with extremely limited resources, alumni support, and local interest.

Could you write it up any better prerequisite for the UND job?

http://www.msumdragons.com/coaches.aspx?rc=476&path=mbball

Known for his ability to rebuild collegiate programs, Walthall has done just that at MSUM and has the Dragons poised to be a contender for years to come. Taking over a team that was 10-17 prior to his arrival, Walthall, in his second season at MSUM, took the Dragons to the NCAA tournament, recording a first-round win and advancing to the NCAA regional semifinals. In four years, he has compiled a record of 76-41 -- an average of 19 wins per season. In the previous three seasons prior to Walthall's arrival, MSUM averaged 11 wins.

This is the type of guy we need at UND!!  With the type of success he has had, he will have other opportunities to be the head coach elsewhere.  After reading his bio, this guys sound like the guy we need to turn the program around!

I know Coach Walthall would be a great hire.  Kids like him and he plays a system they like to play in.  But I don't see the AD doing anything this year. It's possible Walthall gets a call this year from a D1 school (hopefully he is aware of whats happening up here and waits it out).  The links have been posted before. Email the AD, offer money to the program.  Even then, I don't think he will do anything.  The AD doesn't seem to understand what D1 basketball means.

Wathall is a great coach but UND has a coach so I don't feel the need to comment on that. I will point out though that there is a true Sophmore (Aaron Lien avg 12 a game) from Moorhead and a ture freshman (Tanner Kretchman avg 4 a game) from Fargo that UND could've easily had in the program. I know hoopster told me in another thread that UND took Hooker over Lien (smart move) and (Crandall, De Rouren, Shields, Cashman) over Kretchman, but if there would've been better planning by the staff with scholarships they could've had both. Again one is a true Soph and the other a true Fr. on one of the best D2 teams in the country. MSUM would've probably did better in the big sky this year than UND did...thats not even an exaggeration. Why do you think UND and NDSU don't want to play MSUM in exhibitions anymore.......there's a good chance they'd lose.   

I would take Lien and Kretchman over about 5-6 players on the current UND roster. They both could've redshirted and been big time contributers to the program. Not saying UND should recruit all local kids, but when there is local talent that can play D1 we should be giving them a look. NDSU has had nice success with redshirting and developing Jacobson and Werner. No one thought Werner would be Summit League 6th man, but he got into the program and developed. He also plays his tail off because he is representing his home state school. Jacobson will be all conference in the very near future. I'll take kids like that any day of the week. 

I already clarified that I think Jones is paid appropriately for what he has done and on the flip side, UND has gotten the results that have paid for and invested into the basketball program.  Not saying that money always equals winning, but considering UND's basketball budget is currently in the bottom 1/3 of a low-major conference, expecting a finish towards the top every year seems a little disconnected.  I'm not talking an increased salary for the current head coach (though a replacement would probably require an increase).  Maybe UND could pay their assistants a little better so they don't have to replace the ones that head off to big time schools like USD or take head coaching jobs at lower level schools.

If money isn't that big of deal for winning, maybe the hockey team could have cut back on their locker room renovations that was roughly 3 years worth of the basketball team's current budget (I know it was mainly private money, but there are definitely some upgrades at the Betty that could have been paid for with a lot of the same funds and would go a long way in helping improve the atmosphere for MBB and WBB).

I've been wondering about this for awhile. I suppose the issue is that generally speaking, whatever a head coach is paid dictates the maximum assistants' pay, i.e. an assistant won't get more than x% of whatever the head coach gets (probably somewhere under 50%). And obviously by division I standards, Jones' pay is about as low as it can be. Unfortunately, this situation has been allowed to drag out for far too long, due to the fact that Jones has not done well enough to force Faison to pay him more (or get himself a better-paying job elsewhere), and in Faison's opinion, Jones hasn't done poorly enough to replace him. One way or the other, this has to change by no later than after next season.

I've been wondering about this for awhile. I suppose the issue is that generally speaking, whatever a head coach is paid dictates the maximum assistants' pay, i.e. an assistant won't get more than x% of whatever the head coach gets (probably somewhere under 50%). And obviously by division I standards, Jones' pay is about as low as it can be. Unfortunately, this situation has been allowed to drag out for far too long, due to the fact that Jones has not done well enough to force Faison to pay him more (or get himself a better-paying job elsewhere), and in Faison's opinion, Jones hasn't done poorly enough to replace him. One way or the other, this has to change by no later than after next season.

If its similar to football (my guess is that it is), the head coach is allocated a salary pool for assistants and divides it up how they see fit.  I don't believe that the pool is necessarily based off of the head coach's salary but is probably some function of it.  I thought I recall Bubba taking less money and asking that it be diverted to the assistant's pool when he was hired.

Agree very strongly with your second point.

If its similar to football (my guess is that it is), the head coach is allocated a salary pool for assistants and divides it up how they see fit.  I don't believe that the pool is necessarily based off of the head coach's salary but is probably some function of it.

Agree very strongly with your second point.

You are probably correct with regard to it being a pool. I was basing my theory in large part on Bubba's pay as SIU's associate head coach compared to Lennon's. Whether or not that is similar almost everywhere, or in basketball compared to football, I'm not 100% certain.

Paul Hewitt just fired by George Mason after 4 years going 66-67.

But we got Jones........

Like I have been trying to educate the handful of fire jones people it is almost  about conference records 66-67 does not matter because of his conference record! .....Hewitt 8-25 last 2, 15-34 last 3. Atlantic 10 record 15-34 that is why he got canned people ...please educate yourself on how decisions are made , not just follow your emotions or pipe dreams.   Jones 28-30 in the SKY Hewitt 15-34...see the difference??? it is mostly about conference play and that is an indisputable Fact.  

Like I have been trying to educate the handful of fire jones people it is almost about conference records 66-67 does not matter because of his conference record! .....Hewitt 8-25 last 2, 15-34 last 3. Atlantic 10 record 15-34 that is why he got canned people ...please educate yourself on how decisions are made , not just follow your emotions or pipe dreams. Jones 28-30 in the SKY Hewitt 15-34...see the difference??? it is mostly about conference play and that is an indisputable Fact.

I somewhat agree that conference play should be the major factor when looking at mid-majors but 28-30 is not a good conference record. And don't make the excuse of transition because he has an overall conference record of 57-72 which includes seasons in the NCC and Great West. Also, it would be nice to occasionally get some good wins that can put us on the map a bit. We won our first nonconference road games this year I believe since something like 2012? That is pathetic.

I somewhat agree that conference play should be the major factor when looking at mid-majors but 28-30 is not a good conference record. And don't make the excuse of transition because he has an overall conference record of 57-72 which includes seasons in the NCC and Great West. Also, it would be nice to occasionally get some good wins that can put us on the map a bit. We won our first nonconference road games this year I believe since something like 2012? That is pathetic.

Don't ask something of somebody that they are not capable of. :whistling:

Its amazing the coaches that were on the staff here with Glas:   McDermott and Jacobson.  UND should have never let them leave for NDSU.  Glas should have been given an alumni association job so his more talented assistants could have taken over.

We missed on Tim Miles at Mayville St, before he went to NDSU, and then Colo St, and then Nebraska.

We hissed on Craig Smith at Mayville St, before he went to USD.

We seem to fallen into a trap, only wanting a coach that has been an assistant at a big name school, but never being a head coach himself.

Chad Walthall has been an assistant, as has Jones, at Iowa.  But better yet, he has actually been a head coach with remarkable success wherever he went.   The problem with a coaching change is that it is normally a big risk.  If we got Walthall, it would be no risk.  What is the downside?  He can coach and lead, starting in high school.  Get him now before some other DI school gets him. 

http://www.msumdragons.com/staff.aspx?staff=84

• Upvote 1

Whats moorhead pay? Appears he was making about $150,000 at Iowa.

He graduated from there and after all these years went back. Maybe hes happy in that community?

Has four kids, so probably wants some school stability before they enter HS.

From his movements, he probably wants a head coaching position near or in Minnesota. There are not many slots that could be open, except UND.

• 2 weeks later...

Barnes, 60, went 402-180 during his tenure in Austin. He won three Big 12 regular-season championships and reached the NCAA tournament in each of his first 14 seasons there. Under his direction, Texas reached the Final Four in 2003, and made two other Elite Eight appearances. The Longhorns were ranked No. 1 in the country for the first time in school history during the 2009-10 season.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12571138/rick-barnes-coach-texas-longhorns

So a coach with a boatload of regular-season wins (and an overall winning percentage of .690) gets fired for limited post-season success?  Too bad he didn't coach in Grand Forks, ND, where the standards aren't all that high to begin with. :silly:

• Upvote 1

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12571138/rick-barnes-coach-texas-longhorns

So a coach with a boatload of regular-season wins (and an overall winning percentage of .690) gets fired for limited post-season success?  Too bad he didn't coach in Grand Forks, ND, where the standards aren't all that high to begin with. :silly:

I wonder what kind of seasons Jones would have to have to reach at least .600?  30 wins?

• Upvote 1

You almost never see a head coach resign, unless he's retiring, taking a higher-paying job or is given the choice to resign or be fired. And for coaches making big money and who would be due significant buyouts if they are fired, I guess that's not surprising. But for a coach who doesn't make big money and who knows, or at least should know that he's on very, very thin ice, would it make sense to actively seek another job--most likely an assistant job--rather than waiting for the (almost) inevitable firing to occur? Or is it all about the money, i.e. getting a buyout, regardless of how small it might actually be, is more important than avoiding being fired?

The reason I wanted Jones so bad this year is because I think we will see improvement next year and will have the excuse of "oh look at these youngsters providing solid minutes and scoring" and he will get yet another year. I don't want to be stuck in that rut. Now with the rumors of De Rouen, Tyler, Coleman and even possibly Shields leaving there has got to be something happening where players realize Jones is not a coach they want to play for. That kind of attrition is unacceptable.