SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

This is where it gets frustrating. Try to lay down some objective facts/information or assemblance of supporting logic and the obvious happens. So then I try to just go with innuendo like everyone else and i get ripped for no supporting evidence.

Bet Sac State wanted to whack their coach a few years back.

Oh come on! Where are your facts that support Jones? Maybe that he is such a good coach that he has had to turn down offers from other schools so he could stay at UND for 9 years? You are just playing the Devils advocate here and haven't backed up your arguments with anything concrete that Jones has done. Meanwhile, there have been multiple posters that have given facts of Jones' records, tenure, player attitudes, on court selfishness...

NDSU went though a transition; been to NCAA tournament.

SDSU went through a transition; been to NCAA tournament.

Stop using the transition excuse! It's been shown, right here in this region, that a DII to DI transition is not the ultimate barrier. (queue nickname issue, cold weather in GF and hockey gets all the money for the next THREE excuses)

FYP

NDSU went though a transition; been to NCAA tournament.

SDSU went through a transition; been to NCAA tournament.

Stop using the transition excuse! It's been shown, right here in this region, that a DII to DI transition is not the ultimate barrier. (queue nickname issue for next excuse)

This just cracks me up. If you are a Jones supporter, you get jacked for bringing up something previously discussed yet the "whack em" supporters just bitch about the same !@#$ over and over and over.

• Upvote 1

This just cracks me up. If you are a Jones supporter, you get jacked for bringing up something previously discussed yet the "whack em" supporters just bitch about the same !@#$ over and over and over.

Most on this forum are not content with the current state of the men's basketball program at UND; therefore, a change at leadership (head coach) is the popular solution.

Yet, you support Jones, and thus, the current state of UND men's basketball. Two 12-8 BSC seasons, followed by a last place conference finish, is fulfilling to you over the past 3 seasons? It just doesn't make sense, particularly knowing what the possibilities are (NDSU has beat teams like Wisconsin and Notre Dame, and made consecutive NCAA tournament appearances along with an upset win in such tournaments). This should be the goal of UND basketball, and yet, you believe the trajectory of UND men's basketball under Jones is up. I sure hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath.

Agree completely. I was just pointing out that Hill has done something at UNC, which has hardly ever been known as a basketball power, that Jones has not here, where the tradition, support, and facilities are car superior.

Well actually if he took his team his first year some would say he did it with someone else's recruits. 

I've been a Jones "tolerater" up til now.   I will be the first to say that he'd better come through in spades next year or it's out the door.   The fact that NDSU can get to the NCAA tourney with a new team and coach says a lot.    I think we need to start setting minimum goals for all our major sports with the expectations that they make them.   In Jones's case, finish in the top have of the Sky and make a very respectable run in the BSC tourney.   If not, well it was nice knowing you.

• Upvote 1

So far, there have been 13 DI coaches that have been fired, released, or resigned.

East Tennessee St fired Murray Bartow after a 16-14 season. He has led ETSU to two NCAA berths and numerous NIT and CIT bids over the past 12 years. Previously, he was head coach at UAB, where he also had multiple postseason bids. He would probably accept a job for under $200k.

So far, there have been 13 DI coaches that have been fired, released, or resigned.

East Tennessee St fired Murray Bartow after a 16-14 season. He has led ETSU to two NCAA berths and numerous NIT and CIT bids over the past 12 years. Previously, he was head coach at UAB, where he also had multiple postseason bids. He would probably accept a job for under $200k.

Has an overall coaching record of 317–238 (.571). He's one of several available coaches across the country who would be an improvement over Brian Jones for UND MBB.

Well said by the writer.  I'm a patient guy and I realize we lost a ton of starting seniors from last year's good (not great) team but so did that team to the south and they seemed to find their stride as this season went along.  As someone else said earlier, I think next season (if not during the off-season now) is Jones' make or break. 

The writer is absolutely correct. UND needs to raise it's expectations. Obviously, Jones will be back next year, but if the team doesn't make the BSC tournament next season, then it's time for Jones to go and a replacement with successful head coaching experience needs to come in.

Administration also needs to work on upgrades for the Betty, namely video boards/electronic scorer's table.

I just think Jones is a poor HEAD coach and the longer UND MBB sticks with him, the worse off UND MBB is.

What an idiot! A bunch of newspaper writers picked UND to finish 9th and they wound up almost meeting those expectations! What more could you ask for out of the coaching staff?

I mean, cmon, you wouldn't expect Ohio State to win a national championship with its 3rd string quarterback playing, would you? Our own hockey team was picked to finish in the lower half of the WCHA in 1997...we certainly wouldn't have expected that group to bring home a MacNaughton Cup, Broadmoor Trophy, AND a national championship trophy, would we?

Let's just all be thankful that, despite cold winters, no video board, and transition, we even HAVE a coach willing to sit on the bench with the team.

Hey, anyone know what time NDSU's selection show party starts?

So sick of the excuses...

What was once an elite program in Division II's strongest conference has become a cellar dweller in one of Division I's weakest basketball leagues.

So, who is to blame for this epic fall from grace: the fans? The players? The coaches? The administration? An argument could be made for all of the above.   Epic fall from grace ....really a total of one year as a cellar dweller.  This guy as zero functioning brain cells. 

What was once an elite program in Division II's strongest conference has become a cellar dweller in one of Division I's weakest basketball leagues.

So, who is to blame for this epic fall from grace: the fans? The players? The coaches? The administration? An argument could be made for all of the above. Epic fall from grace ....really a total of one year as a cellar dweller. This guy as zero functioning brain cells.

Only one year as a cellar dweller? I hope it's comfortable under that rock you're living under.

Also, how is it the fans' fault? We don't hire the coaches who recruit the players. Simple logic points at the line of command before the coaches (starts with an 'A').

The most puzzling thing about Faison was his eagerness to extend the contracts for the coaches from the Buning era that weren't even his guys! I love what BF has done on the conference affiliation front with the Sky and NCHC, that's outstanding work. But the way the coaching situations have been handled it almost smacks of laziness.

I honestly wonder if it has just been a case of prioritization for Faison. Thanks to Buning he had a lot to

address: budget issues, finding a conference for athletics, & changes in hockey conference all seemed to be at the top. While not ideal, keeping mediocre coaching staff with low paychecks (contract extensions instead of true raises) bought some time. Once those issues were settled, attention was given (along with $$$) to the 2nd biggest revenue team: football. Now that Bubba is here, I am hoping that brings the spotlight to MBB. Jones, you are on notice!

• Upvote 1