SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

NDSU is absolutely a standard that UND supporters should be able to justifiably use. The similarities far outnumber the differences.

So, why has NDSU athletics been far more successful than UND over the past 10 years or so? It all starts at the top in the respective athletic departments. NDSU possess ambition, desire, and a commitment to excellence in terms of both wins and alumni support/donations. UND athletics use to embody this in entirety, but not anymore apparently. Allowing Jones to continue coaching at UND tells me the administration has no ambitions or high expectations for the MBB program, or any program that isn't men's hockey for that matter. If winning occurs at UND, it occurs despite the athletic administration.

You answered your own question correctly.

Leadership.

NDSU is absolutely a standard that UND supporters should be able to justifiably use. The similarities far outnumber the differences.

So, why has NDSU athletics been far more successful than UND over the past 10 years or so? It all starts at the top in the respective athletic departments. NDSU possess ambition, desire, and a commitment to excellence in terms of both wins and alumni support/donations. UND athletics use to embody this in entirety, but not anymore apparently. Allowing Jones to continue coaching at UND tells me the administration has no ambitions or high expectations for the MBB program, or any program that isn't men's hockey for that matter. If winning occurs at UND, it occurs despite the athletic administration.

As to your last sentnece this is why IMO the sooner BF is gone the better.

• Upvote 1

The Weber St board has rated the Big Sky MBB coaches. Jones came in last with the comment that he has no business being a Big Sky coach.

Those folks know nothing.  Anyone with a single brain cell knows differently..................

• Upvote 2

So in 3 years he produced 4 "HS" recruits: 1 home run, one that doesn't play yet, one transfer, and one that will never be more than a role player (Cashman).  

But now he is supposed to get 3 MORE years to fix his mistakes in recruiting, after being the coach for 9 years?

I thought recruiting was supposed to get better after the transition and nickname issues were gone.  

Cashman will not just be a tole player. He might even fight Shanks for a starting spot of Shanks can't get his head on straight. Down the stretch Cashman was playing much better than Shanks and is only an inch or two shorter.

Cashman will not just be a tole player. He might even fight Shanks for a starting spot of Shanks can't get his head on straight. Down the stretch Cashman was playing much better than Shanks and is only an inch or two shorter.

And you think Jones and his staff are smart enough to do that?  Cashman has been better than Shanks all year.  But Jones continues to play Shanks.  Only after we were our rebounded for the 5th or 6th consecutive game by double digits did Jones finally decide to put him in.  Stuff like this is why there needs to be change to a coach who can make adjustments.  Not just in game, but in season,

And you think Jones and his staff are smart enough to do that?  Cashman has been better than Shanks all year.  But Jones continues to play Shanks.  Only after we were our rebounded for the 5th or 6th consecutive game by double digits did Jones finally decide to put him in.  Stuff like this is why there needs to be change to a coach who can make adjustments.  Not just in game, but in season,

Agreed. Jones just refuses to do the right thing during games. He pulls players from games as they are heating up...makes no sense to take out a player after he's scored the past 6 points like he did pulling Shields out of the game last Tuesday...only for Nash and Tyler to come in and give up the big lead. Jones' game time decisions make no sense and are very frustrating to watch. Just the way he carries himself before, during and after games makes me call for a change at head coach. He does not have respect or response from his players. They do not improve in the 4 years they are here. His relationship with the players in minimal. There is no cohesiveness or brotherhood between the players (there is probably 3 cliques on the team). Granted the players do play hard and want to win, they just done have the glue to form a team and play as a team vs. noon-ball play. I believe the lack of character from the team and lack of cohesiveness is on the head coach. He must make those changes in order to form a program worth playing for and as a fan, cheering for and supporting! 

Agreed. Jones just refuses to do the right thing during games. He pulls players from games as they are heating up...makes no sense to take out a player after he's scored the past 6 points like he did pulling Shields out of the game last Tuesday...only for Nash and Tyler to come in and give up the big lead. Jones' game time decisions make no sense and are very frustrating to watch. Just the way he carries himself before, during and after games makes me call for a change at head coach. He does not have respect or response from his players. They do not improve in the 4 years they are here. His relationship with the players in minimal. There is no cohesiveness or brotherhood between the players (there is probably 3 cliques on the team). Granted the players do play hard and want to win, they just done have the glue to form a team and play as a team vs. noon-ball play.

#needtimetogrow

Agreed. Jones just refuses to do the right thing during games. He pulls players from games as they are heating up...makes no sense to take out a player after he's scored the past 6 points like he did pulling Shields out of the game last Tuesday...only for Nash and Tyler to come in and give up the big lead. Jones' game time decisions make no sense and are very frustrating to watch.

Did you miss the part where he gave those right back at the other end?  Two ends to the court...

The most noticeable quick hooks came after guys threw up garbage 3 pointers, though frankly in my opinion he should have done it more often.  You only need to look the rotation/minutes de Rouen and Nash played to see that he would (though not always) pull a player for playing outside the offense. 

There were noticeable cuts in playing time for certain players because of their play.  Hobaugh, while be no means is the most talented guy on the team, saw a ton of minutes.  More than I thought he should of at the beginning of the year.  But if you watch him play, he plays within the system, hustles, makes the extra pass, etc.  If that isn't sending a message, not sure what else you can do. 

I don't agree with all of the rotations and personnel decisions, but no one ever will.

Did you miss the part where he gave those right back at the other end?  Two ends to the court...

The most noticeable quick hooks came after guys threw up garbage 3 pointers, though frankly in my opinion he should have done it more often.  You only need to look the rotation/minutes de Rouen and Nash played to see that he would (though not always) pull a player for playing outside the offense. 

There were noticeable cuts in playing time for certain players because of their play.  Hobaugh, while be no means is the most talented guy on the team, saw a ton of minutes.  More than I thought he should of at the beginning of the year.  But if you watch him play, he plays within the system, hustles, makes the extra pass, etc.  If that isn't sending a message, not sure what else you can do. 

I don't agree with all of the rotations and personnel decisions, but no one ever will.

Agree with your post.  In regards to what else he can do, he can play the players that do as he asks and that play within his system.  Sure we might not win a lot of games, but did we win a lot of games playing the better "player/athlete?"  This is where I think his biggest downfall is.  He lets players continue to make the same mistakes.  If he wants to send a message, sit those players, make them run more in practice, do whatever it takes to send the message home. Maybe he's done all of this, maybe he hasn't.  If he has, then he needs to reevaluate the type of player he's recruiting to his teams.

• Upvote 1

any links to this?

Here you go;

http://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4971

And a quote from the UND vs Weber St. game thread:

icon_post_target.gifby webergrad02 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 am

Watching last nights game pointed out me what our problem is.

We are playing like North Dakota this year:

Multiple guys playing out of position

Lots of good athletes but not necessarily basketball players

Individual focus rather than a team mentality

There are a few differences:

We do run plays different than high screen and roll

Our coach isn't the worst coach in the Big Sky

Here you go;

http://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4971

And a quote from the UND vs Weber St. game thread:

icon_post_target.gifby webergrad02 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 am

Watching last nights game pointed out me what our problem is.

We are playing like North Dakota this year:

Multiple guys playing out of position

Lots of good athletes but not necessarily basketball players

Individual focus rather than a team mentality

There are a few differences:

We do run plays different than high screen and roll

Our coach isn't the worst coach in the Big Sky

This^^^^^  Is the biggest issue that has been plaguing this team for years now.

The Weber St board has rated the Big Sky MBB coaches. Jones came in last with the comment that he has no business being a Big Sky coach.

Well that seals it for me - let Jones know to get his three envelopes ready. 

One mindless (clown/ troll from UND board) posts on weber st board that jones the worst coach in Big Sky that seals the deal ...Give Jones an raise and extension now!

And one clown/troll on this board wants Jones to get a raise and extention.
  • Upvote 1

What was that saying about rocks and glass houses..... :whistling:

Your schtick got old a long time ago. :crazy:

He's waiting for BJ to give him some new material to post here. But in typical Jones fashion...no game plan or adjustments in that regard either.

• Upvote 2

If Jones was to let go, it would of happened yesterday. Probably too expensive a decision for Faison. Probably would cost at least $250k a year, with Jones salary plus a new coach and assistants.

Who could we get for under $150k?

Where is the accountability? Faison got the school into this mess. Maybe he should consider a pay cut to somewhat help offset the expense of letting bj go.

If Jones was to let go, it would of happened yesterday. Probably too expensive a decision for Faison. Probably would cost at least $250k a year, with Jones salary plus a new coach and assistants.

As many on here probably agree, next year is probably Jones' make or break year.  With 1 year left on his contract after next year, BF will have to make a decision whether to extend his contract after next year.  If UND misses the Big Sky Tournament and has a sub .500 record, it's gonna be hard for hime to have the confidence in Jones to extend him.  Not sure how he has any now!!