SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Its hard to quantify "development" because you don't know what their ceiling is.  I would say Huff and Anderson developed pretty well.  He got every last ounce out of Wilmer.  

More for me, and maybe it ties into what you are saying, is have they ever beat a team they shouldn't have or have they ever over-achieved as a TEAM?  Who knows, just random thoughts.   :0

I thought when they beat Montana in 2011 at home was a win they shouldn't have gotten.

Its hard to quantify "development" because you don't know what their ceiling is.  I would say Huff and Anderson developed pretty well.  He got every last ounce out of Wilmer.  

More for me, and maybe it ties into what you are saying, is have they ever beat a team they shouldn't have or have they ever over-achieved as a TEAM?  Who knows, just random thoughts.   :0

The high-quality wins have been quite few and far between. To me, the three best wins of the Jones era have been, in no particular order: 1) Montana (won Big Sky) in 2011-12; 2) SDSU (won Summit) in 2011-12 (but UND also lost by about 40 in the other matchup with the Jackrabbits that season); and 3) NDSU in 2013-14.

The two nice wins in 2011-12, when the core group of the team were sophomores, were a big part of the reason many were pretty disappointed in UND's inability to beat the top team or two in the Big Sky at home in either 2012-13 or 2013-14.

The high-quality wins have been quite few and far between. To me, the three best wins of the Jones era have been, in no particular order: 1) Montana (won Big Sky) in 2011-12; 2) SDSU (won Summit) in 2011-12 (but UND also lost by about 40 in the other matchup with the Jackrabbits that season); and 3) NDSU in 2013-14.

The two nice wins in 2011-12, when the core group of the team were sophomores, were a big part of the reason many were pretty disappointed in UND's inability to beat the top team or two in the Big Sky at home in either 2012-13 or 2013-14.

I'm curious what people attribute for the turnaround in those two games?  Certainly, it couldn't have been any adjustments by the coaching staff as we all know Jones has never made an adjustment ever.   :silly:

I'm curious what people attribute for the turnaround in those two games?  Certainly, it couldn't have been any adjustments by the coaching staff as we all know Jones has never made an adjustment ever.   :silly:

One was at home, the other on the road - Lost by 38 on the road and won by 19 at home.  Coaching had very little to go with the location of the game.  UND has never won at SDSU or NDSU or Montana.  But they have beat them at home.

Not the most impressive list of "big" victories.  

The Bison. Not like they were a top 25 ranked team last year. A lot of teams beat teams that made it to the round of 32 last year. Big deal!!

Im the bad guy for answering a question?

Ranking mean less than where a team actually finishes the season.

UND hockey being ranked #1 right now means Squat.

Thats the problem some fans seem to have. They go by "name brand." Had UND beat Minnesota instead of NDSU and Minnesota had the same record, accolades, and achivements as the Bison it would have been the Miracle on the Hardwood.

Same with UNI and Minnesota this year...had UND actually beat UNI earlier this year. Fans would have been like thats sorta impressive. Beat the gophers...Wow! And a gazillian posts on that thread even though UNI is rated higher than the gophers.

I attribute most of it to the extremely schizophrenic nature of that group. They were generally very good at home, but mostly struggled on the road. And that was never more evident than in 2011-12, when they were 13-1 at home, and 2-14 on the road.

I attribute most of it to the extremely schizophrenic nature of that group. They were generally very good at home, but mostly struggled on the road. And that was never more evident than in 2011-12, when they were 13-1 at home, and 2-14 on the road.

And so we blame Jones for their road record but he gets no credit for home wins?

Its hard to quantify "development" because you don't know what their ceiling is. I would say Huff and Anderson developed pretty well. He got every last ounce out of Wilmer.

More for me, and maybe it ties into what you are saying, is have they ever beat a team they shouldn't have or have they ever over-achieved as a TEAM? Who knows, just random thoughts. :0

Defensively, they could have been WAY better.

You're correct- they have rarely pulled off an upset.

This year- a lot of close games, usually end up on the losing end. Why? Other teams value possession, time management, and play situational basketball. UND? From what I've seen, the last 2 minutes are mostly just business as usual regardless of score, with Foghorn Leghorn running around barefoot flapping his wings yelling I say, I say I think there should've been a foul called there.

Put a fork in UND men's basketball this season. Simple and done with.

UND MBB and Jones better improve next season like some on here swear they will, or else Jones NEEDS to go.

Jones is a prick and an idiot; he doesn't deserve to hold an honorable and impressionable head coaching position at THE University of North Dakota.

And so we blame Jones for their road record but he gets no credit for home wins?

Coaches can't win games on their own.

Players win games and lose games; however, coaches can lose games.

Explanation: bad players put in the right position will still lose; good players put in bad positions may still win; good players put in good position consistently win. Worst combination is obviously bad players and bad positioning/coaching.

UND MBB under Jones has been good players in bad positions, and as a result, UND MBB has won some, lost some (.500) - nothing else.

UND MBB and Jones better improve next season like some on here swear they will, or else Jones NEEDS to go.

Jones is a prick and an idiot; he doesn't deserve to hold an honorable and impressionable head coaching position at THE University of North Dakota.

Nobody wants to see another Schwiegert hiring process play out. Let's have the next AD run it. The timing should work, one more year. And if Jones is as good as some think, maybe they dance in '16.

Is this where the moderator comes in and says, "now, now, let's not call people pricks and idiots". If some jackwagon can call the coach a prick then I say everything is fair game here on out. Bet this isn't the first time you have punched a guy from behind and ran.

Is this where the moderator comes in and says, "now, now, let's not call people pricks and idiots". If some jackwagon can call the coach a prick then I say everything is fair game here on out. Bet this isn't the first time you have punched a guy from behind and ran.

The program is on a non-stop to nowhere. There...no name calling.

Whats improvement?

Hooker ,Crandall, Seales  Shields, Shanks, Bernstine, Collins, Tyler, DeRouen,  McDermott, and others get to 2nd or 3rd in conference, get a quality road win, and get to semis or finals of Big Sky tourney...

Good enough? Then what? Let Jones coach his last year under lame duck contract? or Renew? or get rid of him because (insert excuse), and find a new/better coach that can do more with the talent that years team has? (its possible there would be transfers or drops from new coaching regime)

Note:  i have no problem saying goodbye if this team doesn't make a run to the championship.  But asking where the marker is.

How else would you explain the source of the unnecessary outrage Jones demonstrated when Paul Ralston innocently and mistakingly said the word "choke job"? And of course, that was right after UND MBB and Jones, of course, had choked versus NAU.

How many public out reaches has Jones done in the GF community? I don't see him around much, and I certainly don't see many, including myself, carrying up a friendly conversation with him.

And then you go ahead and accuse me of, well, assaulting someone and then fleeing? That must be a joke, because that's quite hilarious. It's quite entertaining to hear all this support without any justifying cause; it's really nothing more than bored individuals playing devil's advocate. Lastly, I'd certainly like an explanation as to why I'm a "jackwagon", because I honestly doubt you'll have anything competent to say.

How else would you explain the source of the unnecessary outrage Jones demonstrated when Paul Ralston innocently and mistakingly said the word "choke job"? And of course, that was right after UND MBB and Jones, of course, had choked versus NAU.

How many public out reaches has Jones done in the GF community? I don't see him around much, and I certainly don't see many, including myself, carrying up a friendly conversation with him.

And then you go ahead and accuse me of, well, assaulting someone and then fleeing? That must be a joke, because that's quite hilarious. It's quite entertaining to hear all this support without any justifying cause; it's really nothing more than bored individuals playing devil's advocate. Lastly, I'd certainly like an explanation as to why I'm a "jackwagon", because I honestly doubt you'll have anything competent to say.

As a knuckle dragger I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference between literal and figurative. You are a jackwagon because you anonymously called someone a prick and an idiot. Like a figurative sucker punch and run. There have been plenty of facts accurately laid out on this thread to support Jones. Unfortunately, you conveniently choose to ignore. Getting rid of someone because YOU think he is a prick and an idiot most certainly are not facts.

As a knuckle dragger I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference between literal and figurative. You are a jackwagon because you anonymously called someone a prick and an idiot. Like a figurative sucker punch and run. There have been plenty of facts accurately laid out on this thread to support Jones. Unfortunately, you conveniently choose to ignore. Getting rid of someone because YOU think he is a prick and an idiot most certainly are not facts.

Citing data where the left number of the dash is ever so slightly higher than the right doesn't constitute "laying out facts". Jone's teams "just ball" is equally "factual".