SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

If this is the case it might be reason alone to not fire Jones....who knows what UND will get. UND was lucky Bubba really wanted the job. Is there a coach out there like that for MBB? The head football coach and men's basketball coach positions are not ones you just put online and hope good applicants come in, you go out and go after the ones you want. Any good AD should have a list of 3-4 candidates in FB, MBB, WBB, and at some schools (UND included) Men's Hockey and Baseball.

Don't forget the open records requests to go along with the long hiring process. That alone will probably keep good candidates from applying which probably happened with football. Do you think a guy like Chad Wathall will apply if he doesn't think he will get the job when the local paper will publish his name and his current employer will see that? He is a guy Faison would probably have to reach out to and if he doesn't he probably won't come here because he won't apply.

It would've been interesting to see how NDSU would've handled their coaching searches for FB and MBB had they hired from outside current employees.

Absolutely, you can't be complacent, which goes back to my Faison and nearing retirement comment a bit earlier.

Faison just gingerly waited for applicants to apply in a period of over a month instead of actively searching out candidates whom he could convince UND head football coach is a good job. Just lucky Bubba had such fond memories of UND and a passion for UND football.

I would imagine Faison would do that same thing with UND MBB, rather than be aggressive and say contact Chad Walthall.

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating on this thread - Complaints about Jone's coaching are, in my opinion, about 50% on his record and about 50% about style (how his teams look when they play).  Remember, most of the Mens BB fans are older.  He brought in a very talented group against the odds (last year's seniors).  Jones supporters rightfully point to their high conference finish.  However, others saw a talented group that did not improve in many areas for 4 years - teamwork, rebounding, defense, and toughness on the road.  In addition, he showed little ability to add to this group.  What could have been a team that people rallied around became a team fans were frustrated with.  It's like towards the end of the game we called time out and during the break we called "playground" for the last two minutes - you know - "hey, if you get that 1 on 4 matchup, make sure you take it".  I know that this is an oversimplification, but what should have been a fun 4 years became a frustrating time for many old time fans.  Now we have some new young talent that shows signs of playing the same way.  We are never going to win just on the talent we attract here.  We need some semblance of rebounding and discipline.  That is why I think many fans are tired of Jones.  

• Upvote 2

I'm afraid Craig Smith makes $185k per season at USD, so unless the GOBC can donate some money and make UND MBB's coach higher paid than football and Bubba, it's ain't gonna happen. Now, one of Smith's USD assistants is possible.

Austin Hansen seems like a future head coach somewhere. I suspect if Nagy left SDSU, Hansen would be high on their list of candidates.

Hear a lot of the Mankato and Moorhead coaches, but how bout an assistant somewhere?

I'd take a crack at Ben Johnson at the U.

Former assistant to both Miles and Jacobson.  Played in the Big 10, DLS grad, was responsible for recruiting for both Miles and Jacobson and now Pitino.  Miles is very high on him on his future.

• Upvote 1

Hear a lot of the Mankato and Moorhead coaches, but how bout an assistant somewhere?

I'd take a crack at Ben Johnson at the U.

Former assistant to both Miles and Jacobson.  Played in the Big 10, DLS grad, was responsible for recruiting for both Miles and Jacobson and now Pitino.  Miles is very high on him on his future.

I agree that he would be a nice candidate for any midwestern low to mid major head coaching job.

The club would make a run at a guy at usd

The club is more clueless than originally thought.  As already stated, Smith is making $185K, which is actually less than what he was making at Nebraska.  About the only thing that UND could lure him with is a multi-year contract, which South Dakota schools can't offer.  Not happening.

• Upvote 1

The club is more clueless than originally thought. As already stated, Smith is making $185K, which is actually less than what he was making at Nebraska. About the only thing that UND could lure him with is a multi-year contract, which South Dakota schools can't offer. Not happening.

I'm guessing he is referring to an assistant. Gfhockey has already stated that the guy they would have wanted is Smith but it's too late probably.

I'm guessing he is referring to an assistant. Gfhockey has already stated that the guy they would have wanted is Smith but it's too late probably.

He was talking about Smith.  Had the timelines worked out, I think he would have been a good choice here.

Interesting side note that I had forgot: USD's top assistant is Gameli Ahelegbe, former assistant coach at UND. 

Don't know much about their #2 Hansen that 92,96 mentioned.

He was talking about Smith. Had the timelines worked out, I think he would have been a good choice here.

Interesting side note that I had forgot: USD's top assistant is Gameli Ahelegbe, former assistant coach at UND.

If it were to come to it, I think Gameli would be someone to consider. He has history with many recruits, knows the Twin Cities basketball landscape well, and is very smart when it comes to basketball. He is very well spoken of among players and coaches I know. I also believe there is no chance of getting Smith.

He was talking about Smith.  Had the timelines worked out, I think he would have been a good choice here.

Interesting side note that I had forgot: USD's top assistant is Gameli Ahelegbe, former assistant coach at UND. 

Is Ahelegbe considered the number one assistant at USD? I had just assumed it was Hansen, based upon their respective years of coaching experience. I believe Hansen was the number one assistant under Nagy at SDSU, before moving on to Northern Colorado and then USD. He also worked for several years under Margenthaler at Mankato (during which time Ahelegbe played there) prior to SDSU.

Is Ahelegbe considered the number one assistant at USD? I had just assumed it was Hansen, based upon their respective years of coaching experience. I believe Hansen was the number one assistant under Nagy at SDSU, before moving onto Northern Colorado and then USD. He also worked for several years under Margenthaler at Mankato (during which time Ahelegbe played there) prior to SDSU.

I guess my assumption is that he was and he is the first assistant listed anywhere I've seen their full staff listed, which is typically put in order. Maybe they are all considered equal, all three do carry the same title (no associate or senior assistant coaches) or maybe Hansen is the top assistant. I guess I'm not 100% sure either way.

Is Ahelegbe considered the number one assistant at USD? I had just assumed it was Hansen, based upon their respective years of coaching experience. I believe Hansen was the number one assistant under Nagy at SDSU, before moving on to Northern Colorado and then USD. He also worked for several years under Margenthaler at Mankato (during which time Ahelegbe played there) prior to SDSU.

(I screwed up the quote...here's my response):

I think you're right, UND 92,96. Austin Hansen was a great guard for the Jackrabbits under Coach Nagy (and Asst' Margenthaler -- now the Mankato head coach). Austin was the top assistant at SDSU and then went to Northern Colorado for a couple years followed by USD this season as the top assistant for Craig Smith. (THAT didn't sit well with some SDSU fans who haven't lost any love for USD!!) Hansen is credited for landing Nate Wolters at SDSU. Hansen is a good coach and a good guy. He'll be ready to take over his own program and will be a good hire.

Bump..............

4-10 in the conference with talent that at worst should be 7-7 at this point IMO.

Remember we were predicted to finish 9th so to some we are right on par. This year no BSC tournament no CIT tournament but they get to go to Italy in the summer. Maybe Jones can ask the Pope for a miracle to save his job.

• Upvote 2