SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Frozen Faceoff - Xcel Energy Center

AZSIOUX

My thoughts after my 4th year in a row at the Target Center:

Pros:   

-Scoreboard is amazing.  I also loved the 4 big screens in the corners of the arena with the teams stats on them.  Very handy.

-Full bar on the 2nd level was nice.   Didn't see that last year.

-Getting in/out was easy considering how much construction was going on.

-I love the restaurant choices in Minneapolis .   On Friday we were able to walk into Rock Bottom Brewery and get a table at 5:30 on St Patricks day.  Good luck getting a table  anywhere in St Paul like that.  Not enough choices or places overall in St Paul.   The parking is also nice in Minny.   $10 at the ramp?  Nice...

-We were in section 221 both nights and I thought the sight lines from there were great.  No need to pay way more $$ for lower bowl when those seats were $25 no fees.

Cons:

-The ice looked horrible.  After the 2nd intermission in the Saturday UMD v UND game the water wouldn't freeze and one of the refs used a squeegee to clear the excess water off the ice.  I've never seen that before.  Awful

-$11.50 for a small drink?   That's crazy, and way more than I paid at the X for a Wild game a few weeks ago.  They also had 1 bartender in the bar for about 100 customers.  It took nearly the whole intermission to get 2 drinks.

-I know they are changing them but the seats at TC are just disgusting...  Stains, rips, uncomfortable.  There is very little leg room as well.

-The sound in the TC is awful.  It always has been and there is nothing they can do about it, but I hate it.  Everything echos terribly and the bands/music sounded awful.

-The in game entertainment and the girl who was the announcer were terrible.  They need to step out their act on this front.   If you want to be the premier league do better.

17 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I guessing you spent a night in Walsh Hall, I was there in '70-71. Remember back then the ladies had to be in at 10:00 and Midnight on weekends. Also any fresh had to live in the dorm, unless your folks lived in or near GF.

1996 for me.  Good times. 

3 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

TC was a little better, still want the X. Screen was cool, our usher named Tom in section 132 was great! 

Some complain on here about "usher Nazi's", I for one would love they kept doing this! I cannot stand when I pay $120 per seat and a group of dumbass dog fans just walked in and grabbed the 5 empty seats behind us, bragging how "this is not bad for spending $20" Everything would have been fine if they just cheered for their team. I was with my wife, two teenage daughters and my 70+ year old parents, (boy these trips have changed) and when Cam got plowed into I stood up and yelled "come on throw him out"! This tough guy behind me said "quit your f**king whining" I turned around and looked at him he then turned his head away. I then looked back at the ice and he then said "yea I was talking to you, shut the f**k up". Turned around again and said you're a real hero back there. He turned his head again. My daughter was texting her friend saying these guys are dicks behind us, they asked her why she wrote that! They were reading her phone behind her! When the dogs scored they would lean forward into my old man's ear and cheer even after he politely asked them to not do it in his ear! Their comment was "you can't cheer when your team scores then". If they were obnoxious and loud but did NOT target us I would have had no problems with it. If this was 5+ years ago when I went with a group of buddies, this would have been a row on row brawl, Guaranteed! 

The point of my story is, I would not have had to deal with it if they were asked to show their ticket before entering the section! 

Talk about want to be goofer fans! God I hate the UMD hockey EVERYTHING now!

So happy they are going to Fargo, hope this game happens!

Go Sioux!

I was at a Force game, and a drunk idiot behaved like that. My nephew politely asked him to tone it down. The rest of the period he was chirping my nephew, and I caught him giving my nephew the finger. My temper got the bestof me. I stood up and said something along the lines of if he wanted to be a tough guy to a kid I'd gladly discuss it outside with him, not entirely sure, I was seeing red. My whole family was staring at me because it's completely out of my personality. Anyway, guy must have got the point or at least his wife because I was staring them eye to eye being a row lower. She apologized and they disappeared after the period. Sucks when people are like that.

• Upvote 3

The only thing that really bugged me was the UMD band and their 'Sioux no more!' chants after any sioux chant we did.   Just seemed mean spirited for an official team band for UMD to have more negative UND chants than positive ones for their team.  

It didn't help that they were able the worst college band I've ever heard in my life.  Finally at one point they played another terrible tune and I couldn't take it any longer.  I screamed 'GET SOME LESSONS!!' directly at them at the top of my lungs without really even thinking about it.   It was pretty hilarious if I may say so, with several of the band members turning in my direction to look at me while most of the UND fans around gave me a thumbs up or hearty chuckle...

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

No they are more high brow over at the X, it will be more Celine Dion and Bette Midler. I hear they have the states best Mimosa's too.

Between the two nights, I heard Pearl Jam five-six times, I'm happy.

Coffee at only one location in a cold arena + no hot chocolate: poor planning for a hockey event.  We hopped across the street to Starbucks between games on Saturday.

Patience for one more year on ice conditions, boards integrity, fit/finish for seating, bathrooms and ventilation.

54 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

I want the X back like most. But Brad brings up some good questions!

Are we chasing the atmosphere of the Final Five? Which won't happen:(

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=106280

Step one: Get back to the X.

Step two: Let it grow.

Step three: Add teams to where there are 5 at the X for the semifinals (Old Final Five).

Step four: Add teams to where there are 5 games at the X (New Final Five).

Step five: Repeat as necessary and the NCHC Tournament will grow like the WCHA did.

1 hour ago, focker said:

The only thing that really bugged me was the UMD band and their 'Sioux no more!' chants after any sioux chant we did.   Just seemed mean spirited for an official team band for UMD to have more negative UND chants than positive ones for their team.  

You must never have been to a series at UMD to hear their "Smallpox Blanket" and "We Stole Your Land" cheers.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, focker said:

We were in section 221 both nights and I thought the sight lines from there were great.  No need to pay way more $$ for lower bowl when those seats were $25 no fees.

You shoulda stopped down on Friday night and introduced yourself.  I was the guy in 221 straight behind the net wearing that snazzy green Russian ushanka hat.   

7 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I want the X back like most. But Brad brings up some good questions!

Are we chasing the atmosphere of the Final Five? Which won't happen:(

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=106280

Schlossman is missing the point. The point is that the Xcel Energy Center puts on a first-rate, first-class production, whether it is a college post-season tournament or a Wild home game. Plus, the X is, first and foremost, a hockey arena also used for other events. Not a basketball arena that sometimes is used for hockey. Of course it won't be the old Final Five; that took years of work to build up into what it became. But it will be much better than the crap hole that is Target Center.

I also am open to the idea of moving games on-campus. But if we insist on having a neutral-site tournament, it should be at the X.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, focker said:

It didn't help that they were able the worst college band I've ever heard in my life.  Finally at one point they played another terrible tune and I couldn't take it any longer.  I screamed 'GET SOME LESSONS!!' directly at them at the top of my lungs without really even thinking about it.   It was pretty hilarious if I may say so, with several of the band members turning in my direction to look at me while most of the UND fans around gave me a thumbs up or hearty chuckle...

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Schlossman is missing the point. The point is that the Xcel Energy Center puts on a first-rate, first-class production, whether it is a college post-season tournament or a Wild home game. Plus, the X is, first and foremost, a hockey arena also used for other events. Not a basketball arena that sometimes is used for hockey. Of course it won't be the old Final Five; that took years of work to build up into what it became. But it will be much better than the crap hole that is Target Center.

I also am open to the idea of moving games on-campus. But if we insist on having a neutral-site tournament, it should be at the X.

How did he miss that point? He literally said exactly what you claimed he missed. I think it is a pretty fair synopsis of the situation. A lot of people are pining for something that won't be what they remember and other potential costs and benefits are being ignored. He lays it all out for everyone to ponder with no bias.

Do they want the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, which is one of North America’s finest hockey rinks?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, southpaw said:

As fans, would you be willing to pay an extra $10-$20 total to see the games at the X?  The cost to rent the X vs TC will definitely be higher.

I would gladly pay $10-$20 more to see the games at the X and I think that is generous as to how much more they would charge. It wouldn't bother me to pay $50 more to be in St. Paul at the X and I know all of the large group that used to attend with me would agree but not sure others would. I know the arguments for Minneapolis and Target Center have to do with the restaurant/hotel options but again I would take the hockey town and atmosphere vs. the hotels/restaurant benefit of Minneapolis any day all knowing that not only will the tickets cost more but so will the hotel.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, southpaw said:

As fans, would you be willing to pay an extra $10-$20 total to see the games at the X?  The cost to rent the X vs TC will definitely be higher.

Absolutely

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

How did he miss that point? He literally said exactly what you claimed he missed. I think it is a pretty fair synopsis of the situation. A lot of people are pining for something that won't be what they remember and other potential costs and benefits are being ignored. He lays it all out for everyone to ponder with no bias.

I didn't like the implication that the main reason we want to go back to the X is because we think it will be just like the old Final Five. Most people understand that wouldn't be the case. I think people understand the differences between the two better than Schlossman gives them credit for.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I didn't like the implication that the main reason we want to go back to the X is because we think it will be just like the old Final Five. Most people understand that wouldn't be the case. I think people understand the differences between the two better than Schlossman gives them credit for.

Exactly. Here is what it comes down to............a first class hockey arena vs. a dump of a BB arena posing as a hockey venue.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It has already been shown that the consensus on Siouxsports is not the consensus among UND fans.  Schloss deals with all types of UND fans, those that are die-hards and those that are casual much more than any of us.  It may not be the main reason you want to go back to the X but Brad has had interactions with people who hate the TC because it's not the Final Five at the X.

1 minute ago, southpaw said:

It has already been shown that the consensus on Siouxsports is not the consensus among UND fans.  Schloss deals with all types of UND fans, those that are die-hards and those that are casual much more than any of us.  It may not be the main reason you want to go back to the X but Brad has had interactions with people who hate the TC because it's not the Final Five at the X.

On the nickname/logo controversy, you are correct. On this issue, I don't think so.

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

On the nickname/logo controversy, you are correct. On this issue, I don't think so.

While I'd say a majority of UND fans on here are decent, smart people that's definitely not the case when it comes to the entire fanbase.  There are some very vocal idiots that complain about anything.

32 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Again, he literally covers ever single angle you claim he doesn't. He lays it out objectively and highlights the benefits and downfalls of all three options. It seems like you are trying to push a narrative from his post that isn't there.

I've literally heard people I know who have said that they wish it was at the X because the Final Five was better. There are a lot of people who don't realize how big of an impact on losing UM/UW/Mankato/Bemidji will have on the atmosphere.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Again, he literally covers ever single angle you claim he doesn't. He lays it out objectively and highlights the benefits and downfalls of all three options. It seems like you are trying to push a narrative from his post that isn't there.

I've literally heard people I know who have said that they wish it was at the X because the Final Five was better. There are a lot of people who don't realize how big of an impact on losing UM/UW/Mankato/Bemidji will have on the atmosphere.

They might have been talking about the differences in how the X runs an event vs. the Target Center. The X is heads and shoulders above the Target Center in that regard.

• Upvote 1